Skate Canada 2012 Men's SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Men's SP

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Chan looks sick.
His today skating & face reminded a little me of last year‘s TEB when Chan was sick.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I can't think of anyone who deserved bronze at all except gachinski

His quad ability just seems over! Not in any place in any competition since euros 2012! The rotational ability is still there but no landing ability! It's a real problem. If he's doing two quads in the free tomorrow he is very likely to fall twice at least

Everything non jump was level 4 which makes the no quad and jump problems more unfortunate.

You mean in 2011, the bronze for Gachinski. Well, he landed his jumps and he was skating in Russia. I thought Alena L. deserved bronze at 2011 Worlds more than Gachinski.

Ugh that everything non-jump was level 4 for Gachinksi at SC. He's NOT all that presentation-wise. He could be, but he's simply not. I think Russian skaters sometimes get extra points for being Russian and from the famous Russian ballet tradition. Gachinski needs more ballet training, as well as more work on developing musicality and presentation skills.

Last edited:

naan

Rinkside
Chan looks sick.
His today skating & face reminded a little me of last year‘s TEB when Chan was sick.
I noticed it, too. He looks sick, pale, and thinner than before :(
I prefer the EX program than this SP. Little disappointed with step sequence, especially...
Nevertheless, he was sublime and his skating skill was just amazing!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I noticed it, too. He looks sick, pale, and thinner than before :(
I prefer the EX program than this SP. Little disappointed with step sequence, especially...
Nevertheless, he was sublime and his skating skill was just amazing!!

:scratch: wasn't that the worry for his skate at the JO?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree Oda's skating skill was underscored, but his performance was rather forgettable. Let me put it this way: I have no desire to watch that footage twice--It bored me to death.

I kind of feel the same way. When I watch Oda I don't feel a sense of purpose to his skating, like it's more "rehearsed" and less "felt". He does have deep edges but doesn't otherwise move in an interesting way.

lakeside

On the Ice
I keep my fingers crossed for Patrick and wish he’ll skate his LP marvelously and win!

Okay, maybe I jumped the gun by saying that Oda has better skating skills than Chan.....but Oda definitely has better skating skills than Javier. I love Javier, but seriously he's on a flat for much of that program...
I agree. I think Oda’s PCS should be 39 and Fernandez 37. I don’t think Patrick is overscored, but Oda is underscored, especially compared to Fernandez. Oda has better skating skills than Fernandez, and if someone thinks Oda’s program is boring and expressionless, then Fernandez’ SP is eqully boring! I don’t see any reason why Fernandez’ PCS should be ahead of Oda’s here.

BTW, I don't think Hanyu has an "obvious fire" either. Hanyu is still maturing and developing as a skater. Dai is on a different plane than all of his countrymen.
I think Yuzru has very obvious fire and already has more versatile style than even Takahashi, and I appreciate how Yuzru can do this at such a young age. Yuzru’s SP and EX are even better than Jeremy’s and he has more fire. At 17, none of his contrymen could do what he can artistically (and technically).

Bartek

On the Ice
I am a Dai fan but I must admit that Chan's program is absolutely beautiful. Jeff made amazing choreography which made Chan blossom in terms of expressivness. Chan always had his outstanding edges and flow however last to seasons I couldn't underastand why he received such big scores for Interpretation and Performance/Execution, higher than Dai's scores who is a true artist and in those PCS should receive higher marks. Now, I must say that for the first time Chan skated "artistically" and he really seemed to feel his music. He made mistakes but nevertheless I think his PCS should be that high.

Mao88

Record Breaker