Can Gracie Gold handle the pressure? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie Gold handle the pressure?

ForeverFish

Medalist
Hmm, not sure I see the parallel. Cohen's international debut was at the Olympics, and she was 4th to boot, even if she had an imperfect FS. Meanwhile, everyone is going crazy over Gold over her name but so far, the product (i.e. her skating) doesn't live up to the advertisement. If Gold makes the World team and finishes top 4 THEN I think the two might be comparable. The thing about Cohen is that she could make mistakes and still medal (or finish 4th at worst). Gold made mistakes at SC and finished 7th...say what you will.

Of course Gold and Cohen are leagues apart in terms of their performances--I was referring to the similarities in their fierce, passionate attack of each program they skated. I don't think Gold will have any trouble making the World team. Wagner, presupposing good health, will have one of the spots for sure. Alissa Czisny has been out of competition for a while and very recently underwent surgery for an injury, so I doubt she will be ready to fight for that second spot come early next year. That leaves--of the skaters we've been seeing so far--Christina Gao (very unlikely), Caroline Zhang (unlikely), Agnes Zawadzki (hasn't shown much wow-factor yet, but I'm interested to see what she does at her GP assignments), Rachael Flatt (very unlikely), and Mirai Nagasu (will give Gold her biggest challenge, though no GP assignments this season). Gold has excellent odds for a huge international experience next March.

mars007

Rinkside
Best technical skater in the world?? I can only hope that is an exaggeration of the largest form. I dislike her skating as it feels uninspired and the one or two gyrations in the sp left me horrified.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Really, no one who's been following skating for a good amount of time would find this scenario alarming. Few skaters have great season after great season, or nail 7-triple program after 7-triple program. Most do struggle and fall short of expectations at some point, whether it'd be one disastrous competition or several sub-par seasons. And how many skaters have we watched achieve success after being also-rans for years? Only time will tell how successful Gracie will be on the world stage, but her performances and results so far this season don't prove anything.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cohen's international debut was at the Olympics, and she was 4th to boot. . .

Sasha debuted as a Senior in the GP fall 2000 and she withdrew from 2001 Nationals, ending her season. She also skated the GP fall 2001 prior to the Olympics, so Salt Lake City was not her international debut.

Last edited:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Best technical skater in the world?? I can only hope that is an exaggeration of the largest form. I dislike her skating as it feels uninspired and the one or two gyrations in the sp left me horrified.

Who said that she was the best technical skater in the world? She may become such with time--her technique is excellent--but she still needs stronger emotion. I wouldn't judge her skating based on one terrible performance, and her GP debut at that. Let's see what she does at CoR, Nats, and (possibly) Worlds.

Selene

On the Ice
Gracie was INCREDIBLY nervous here - more so than her JGP debut last year, her Nationals (JR) skate, or Junior Worlds last year. I haven't seen her that nervous since her first competition as a Junior. She needs to go back to the drawing board (mentally) on how to deal with that as it was apparently unexpected from her and so she hadn't considered how to channel it properly. The thing about this girl is that she DOES learn from her mistakes and that means it can only get better.

The stage will only get bigger for her. She will have to learn to calm her nerves or channel that nervous energy in a positive way if she wants to be a successful skater. It was hard to watch her performances at Skate Canada, because it was obvious that her mistakes were a result of her nerves. She looked so good in her practices, but couldn’t deliver when it came time to compete. She is such a talented skater, but as of right now, she isn’t a good competitor. I hope she can become one. (I’m not inferring that I expect her to always skate clean, because no one can do that 100% of the time. But she is too good of a jumper to be making as many errors as she is in her programs.)

ForeverFish

Medalist
The stage will only get bigger for her. She will have to learn to calm her nerves or channel that nervous energy in a positive way if she wants to be a successful skater. It was hard to watch her performances at Skate Canada, because it was obvious that her mistakes were a result of her nerves. She looked so good in her practices, but couldn’t deliver when it came time to compete. She is such a talented skater, but as of right now, she isn’t a good competitor. I hope she can become one. (I’m not inferring that I expect her to always skate clean, because no one can do that 100% of the time. But she is too good of a jumper to be making as many errors as she is in her programs.)

At least we know to expect much more and better from Gracie--she doesn't lack the talent, but needs to get the same focus she had at Nats and Jr Worlds last year. Once she does, she'll be a formidable force to be reckoned with.

IleK

On the Ice
I am so happy for Gracie!! Since I first saw her last season I felt that I might just love her, even though she didnt quite fit my favorite type of female skater. Gracie didn't have the grace yet but she was shining like gold. Everything shines when she smiles, she looks very innocent, like having a good heart and that thing will soon be part of her skating. I felt that today she was more conservative, she took one element at a time, when in Skate Canada she had so much energy that she lost her concentration, she wanted to show everything she trained but very fast and without thinking. I tought in SC she would be first, here I said third but I knew she could surprise me with more. I believe in Gracie more than in any other female skater. At some point in her career she will be perfect. I think she will do good tomorrow. Go Gracie!

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Ladies should be aware of this girl - she is a future champ for sure:))) She has EVERYTHING to win but experience

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am so happy for Gracie!! Since I first saw her last season I felt that I might just love her, even though she didnt quite fit my favorite type of female skater. Gracie didn't have the grace yet but she was shining like gold. Everything shines when she smiles, she looks very innocent, like having a good heart and that thing will soon be part of her skating. I felt that today she was more conservative, she took one element at a time, when in Skate Canada she had so much energy that she lost her concentration, she wanted to show everything she trained but very fast and without thinking. I tought in SC she would be first, here I said third but I knew she could surprise me with more. I believe in Gracie more than in any other female skater. At some point in her career she will be perfect. I think she will do good tomorrow. Go Gracie!

ITA. I think she's learning how to channel her energy and nerves.

I'm hoping she'll do well tomorrow too. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gracie was fantastic today. I still feel she could smooth out her choreography because the SP feels a bit frantic, but that is the responsibility of her team. Nationals could shape up nicely if these girls skate as well as they have in the GP. It's been sad to see the quality of LPs that are winning medals the past few years at the US Championships.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I almost cried of happiness this morning when I checked the placement going into the FS and saw Gracie in first. There are still some things that need work--she had some clear jitters hitting that 3-3 combo, which is probably why she received the edge call, and there is still some artistry to be desired. But I'm immensely glad to see the improvement on her arms--much less flailing and uncontrollable movements than last season, and it makes a huge difference. She learned the level of skating expected from her after SC and more than stepped up to the plate today.

The FS is yet to come (in five hours, by my count), but I'm already projecting Gracie somewhere on that podium. Unless Korpi, Leonova, or Zawadzki skate clean, Gracie could well be gold, but whatever happens, she's proven herself a serious contender. :cool:

mskater93

Record Breaker
The stage will only get bigger for her. She will have to learn to calm her nerves or channel that nervous energy in a positive way if she wants to be a successful skater. It was hard to watch her performances at Skate Canada, because it was obvious that her mistakes were a result of her nerves.

This was something that hadn't come up before for her and so she hadn't prepared for how to deal with it. Now she knows and now she plans. As I said, each thing is a learning experience for her and she DOES learn from them as opposed to consistently repeating the same mistakes for the same reasons. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's what gives me hope for this girl in the future. She has a good head on her shoulders and knows what she needs to do to improve. Just like she learned from SC what to expect and how to handle her nerves. Like you said some skaters just keep repeating the same mistakes and not getting better.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Gracie is a star right now. I wish her well. She is so young, she is not awkward at all, what a body-what a smile-beauty plus I hope some day soon consistent jumps. She is breathtakingly fresh in her sp. I wish they gave her better music for her LP but she will add content and choreo I hope at her next event. Ashley really needs her A game as agnes and Gracie are skating with pizazz and confidence. I hope thiese three get to Sochi if they continue doing well. Christina Gao would be my pick for alternate or maybe Angela Wang. I am hopeful for Mireai but Zhang just is so slow-the judges do not like her. With all the competition, I think she will only ever be a fave among us fans. Mirai-could she lose the weight, get back her speed and get better judging? It is so awful these pickyune downgrades. I'd like to see changes in the scoring before everyone quits.

Why is it Chan won with falls and the ladies who munder rotate land in 4th ? I am thrilled with the Goddess Gracie Gold...caps intended....wow...is she a stunner in that red dress or what? Best body for a tall girl since Nicole Bobek. And stunning like Nicole. If only Gracie had some flexibility in her Ina Bauer and better spiral. Nicole was the first to really push extension with ballet that I recall. Hope Gracie takes ballet to refine her arms and hands, toe point and the little finesse moves. Fabulous! Good for USA!