Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Ice Dance - Free Dance (1:40 PST/4:40EST)

samson

Medalist
I kind of agree with both of you. I definitely think it was the strongest FD, but I don't know. They looked a little off to me from what we usually see from them.

Tesla

Final Flight
Ugh. And the tongue bathing of V/M continues. That did not deserve that high of a score.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just thankful that Moir doesn't look like Pinnochio this season like he did last season with the matted down, wet hair and the way it was styled so conservatively along with his big nose. I was worried it was going to grow too long any moment and dart out the eyes of the judges.:p

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Well, I'm enthused about V/M's new FD. Don't know if I'd agree with Tracy that it's their most exciting ever, since Mahler is a hard one to beat, but it may well be my favourite post-Mahler program from them. Hopefully they'll clean it up in the next couple months and really skate the hell out of it by the time the bigger competitions come around.

kosjenka

On the Ice
I agree with one of the previous posters.
This is the weakest performance of Tessa&Scott in a looong time.
I think they skated a better program after returning from Tessas surgery. However, I dont find this too problematic overall. The program is well set and they have worked on new stuff, which is always appreciated in my eyes.

I like the colors and cut of costumes, makeup is very well suited.

I dont get the modern take here AT ALL. Krylova&Ovsianikov had the modern take on Carmen more than 14years ago. http://youtu.be/MSyT-dL4Ndg
As far as concept goes, Tessa&Scott have a very typical Carmen program.
What is new in their skating is the intense character role of one skater - Tessa as this fierce, erotic woman. I like this a lot. I wasn't sure they would ever go this way in their skating.

I am not crazy about the amount of music cuts in their program. I am not sure this bothers anybody but me.

Also, as far as the performance, new dance spin and positions are very well suited.
I noticed them looking insecure by the end of their step sequences. Like they were looking for each other. The program needs "more legs" as in more competitions. I am sure that it will get better coming GPF.

keasus

On the Ice
They're wearing black instead of red ;)

Black, red, whatever. Color me underwhelmed. I don't diasgaree with the placement, but the scoring was grossly inflated. They weren't up to their usual technical levels, and they resorted to some of the typical over-the-top emoting of all the previous ice-dance version of Carmen (B&B, K&O, N&K)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Of course the program is not seasoned at its first outing and they have some technical glitches, as can and should be expected when the skaters are challenging themselves with difficult programs. But the program, and the performance, wowed me from the start. Really looking forward to seeing it again, with the rough edges worked out.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 169.41 Free Dance
2. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 160.06 Free Dance
3. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA & Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 143.39 Free Dance
4. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 136.74 Free Dance
5. Madison HUBBELL & Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 135.16 Free Dance
6. Julia ZLOBINA & Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 132.80
7. Pernelle CARRON & Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 130.75
8. Kharis RALPH & Asher HILL (CAN) - 126.60

Macassar88

Medalist
Well, I think that Tessa and Scott's Carmen was amazing. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I thought that it was quite innovative and made them stretch themselves. I can't imagine how amazing it's going to be by worlds.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
when the skaters are challenging themselves

How are V/M challenging themselves? The pogram is apparently "hot steamy and romantic", a description that is used time and time again for this team. I didn't see anything all that different or challenging in that program.

Macassar88

Medalist
How are V/M challenging themselves? The pogram is apparently "hot steamy and romantic", a description that is used time and time again for this team. I didn't see anything all that different or challenging in that program.

Since when have Virtue and Moir been known for being steamy? Most of the complaints I've heard about them are how they can't do drama and how they aren't versatile because they only can do innocent young love types of dances. This FD completely blows that assertion out of the water.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

So you don't see it. Doesn't mean it's not there, in spades.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Again, I don't like V/M's lift that made Tessa sit right at Scott's face, and for that long time!:slink:

kosjenka

On the Ice
Since when have Virtue and Moir been known for being steamy? Most of the complaints I've heard about them are how they can't do drama and how they aren't versatile because they only can do innocent young love types of dances. This FD completely blows that assertion out of the water.

Rhumba 2011 FD and 2010 OD were quite steamy. But I think they were more "dance oriented" programs. Carmen is definitely more dramatic & MUCH more steamy.

I just dont get what is so new or modern about their Carmen. They have only themselves to blame for my high expectations. :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Again, I don't like V/M's lift that made Tessa sit right at Scott's face, and for that long time!:slink:

I find that was just a transition of the lift, nothing like what used to be common in Ice Dance when the man held a women doing an upside down spread eagle in his face.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Really? You don't think that upside down lift is challenging? You don't think the use of contemporary staccato movements in the footwork is different for them? You don't think going for something this dark and violent challenges them? I disagree, obviously.