Skate Canada 2012 Mens - Long Program (4:10PM PST/7:10PM EST) | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2012 Mens - Long Program (4:10PM PST/7:10PM EST)

skatinginbc

Medalist
Is anyone going to say anything about Javier's inflated PCS? Less then 3 points behind Chan? I don't think that is right.
But Chan has many visible mistakes. Without them, the gap between Javier's PCS and Chan's would have been much wider.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have always felt Javi's PCS has been too high since last SC. Patrick has been investing in PCS but his improvements are not being recognized and rewarded.

The one I've always felt the most underscored in PCS is Kozuka. Oda has the great knees and best 3A but I find fault with his posture.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Is anyone going to say anything about Javier's inflated PCS? Less then 3 points behind Chan? I don't think that is right.

Its called enough is enough... Chan is a fab skater and if he were clean-sure huge PCS.. But everyone is tired of multiple errors from Patrick and wins because of HUGE PCS advantage. Its making the sport a laughingstock. And considering it won't happen at the Olympics it was unfair to him to let him get away with now. He literally talked about how he really doesn't need a jump coach full time he's doing jumps since he was little. (To be frank this guy is no Yagudin/Plushenko when it comes to his jumps. He's a guy who wins falling a lot.. For him to think this was because of the message those judges were sending him.)

Chan's the best skater in the world-when he skates well. But doing the elements well has to matter and he gets no favors by being told right now it will. When later on it won't. The other top skaters PCS were going to have to be raised for the sake of the sport.

SkateFiguring, Chan's PCS have always been through the roof how much higher can they goo. The guy needs to work on the jumps. . (Like him working on all aspects to be frank)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
bekalc, it does seem you're arguing two wrongs make a right. Do you agree with Fernandez' PCS?

Also, will Javier be going for three quads, or did he had the 4T later because of the 3T mistake? Because three quads would be awesome and a way to truly raise the bar.

jan

On the Ice
So if I am reading you correctly, the other skaters PCS have to be raised regardless of whether or not they have actually improved in this area??? So if Plushenko does a clean program with no transitions etc. his PCS should be inflated for the sake of the sport?
I have no issues with the final results but I do have issues with the scond set of scores.

Its called enough is enough... Chan is a fab skater and if he were clean-sure huge PCS.. But everyone is tired of multiple errors from Patrick and wins because of HUGE PCS advantage. Its making the sport a laughingstock. And considering it won't happen at the Olympics it was unfair to him to let him get away with now. He literally talked about how he really doesn't need a jump coach full time he's doing jumps since he was little. (To be frank this guy is no Yagudin/Plushenko when it comes to his jumps. He's a guy who wins falling a lot.. For him to think this was because of the message those judges were sending him.)

Chan's the best skater in the world-when he skates well. But doing the elements well has to matter and he gets no favors by being told right now it will. When later on it won't. The other top skaters PCS were going to have to be raised for the sake of the sport.

SkateFiguring, Chan's PCS have always been through the roof how much higher can they goo. The guy needs to work on the jumps. . (Like him working on all aspects to be frank)

bekalc

Record Breaker
So if I am reading you correctly, the other skaters PCS have to be raised regardless of whether or not they have actually improved in this area??? So if Plushenko does a clean program with no transitions etc. his PCS should be inflated for the sake of the sport?
I have no issues with the final results but I do have issues with the scond set of scores.

Its more about that nobody should be getting PCS in the 9s if they have multiple errors. Chan still had higher PCS than Javier.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
surprisingly, I really like Chan's LP... to me it could've gone either way - though Javier had one less glaring mistake, and only one fall (or near fall) so I see why there's the gap...

skatinginbc

Medalist
Patrick has been investing in PCS but his improvements are not being recognized and rewarded.
Don't worry. He will be rewarded in the long run. Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning, both without an Olympic gold, are hailed as ones of the greatest skaters ever.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
A Big Congratulations to Javier, loved both of his programs! Nice job from Oda, so happy that he medaled.
To many mistakes from Patrick tonight, but he has a very nice program with great choreography and I love the music.

Great looking podium. Congrats to all!

Shout out to Ross Miner, enjoyed his FS too.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Intriguingly, the only way I think Chan's legacy will be a positive one vis-a-vis figure skating would be a massive, clearly deserving Olympic victory - a la Yagudin or Curry. Then you'd get the post hoc revisionist history. Otherwise, the dominant narrative becomes his inconsistency, huge scores for flawed skates, and just generally being the poster boy for an unpopular system.

artsciboy

On the Ice
I think Oda has some of the strongest skating skills, jumps and general ability - I actually think he's top 3 in Japan in this regard (I don't have any problems with his posture - I like him better than Hanyu's gawky, floppy, unhinged style). Oda's problem is that he chooses music that people or judges simply can't get behind even when has solid choreography/performances - his LP music is not meant for skating to. He should scrap that fast!!!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Don't worry. He will be rewarded in the long run. Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning, both without an Olympic gold, are hailed as ones of the greatest skaters ever.

Michelle and Kurt had great performances when it counted...Can you remember them winning World titles with booos...Michelle lost the Olympics with a much more minor error than the errors Patrick puts out. A lot of Chan's wins have been this way. Now Patrick has amazing qualities...But he's going to have to start delivering in the jump department. The fact that Chan didn't think he needed to work on the jumps-frankly says it all. That's the guys big issue.

He's brilliant skater could be the greatest ever... If he can get those jumps straight (and I'm thrilled he's working on PCS and yes it sad there's little room for score improvement from him there. But again that's because of the huge scores he got before). If he doesn't start getting those jumps better he's in danger of being the Schuba of IJS.

rain

Record Breaker
Intriguingly, the only way I think Chan's legacy will be a positive one vis-a-vis figure skating would be a massive, clearly deserving Olympic victory - a la Yagudin or Curry. Then you'd get the post hoc revisionist history. Otherwise, the dominant narrative becomes his inconsistency, huge scores for flawed skates, and just generally being the poster boy for an unpopular system.

Well, this certainly isn't the opinion of everyone. I, for one, already think he's left an incredible legacy within the sport, whether he ever wins Olympic gold or not. I think he will undoubtedly by remembered as one of the best skaters ever. He's pushed the need for champions to have both great technical prowess and beautiful skating skills and artistry. I think he is an outstanding champion who isn't done yet.