Adelina Sotnikova | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The scoring system used rewards skaters who rack up points more than the sakets who skate more elegant and beautifully like Yuna. Adelina had a higher scoring long program and was rewarded for that. No one would deny Yuna skated more beautifully than Adelina just like no one should deny that Adelina skated with more passion, more athleticism with greater speed and higher jumps and she also skated a more difficult program than Yuna did and was rewarded for it. When Lysacek edged Plushenko the greatest male skater of all time for gold in Vancouver some people were upet like I saw but we got over it and moved on. The same thing needs to happen here. The continued hate for Sotnikova is ridiculous. I rememner the NBC TV analyst explaning how and why Adelina had a significantly higher scoring long program and than Yuna did before the long program and that was basically the difference when both skaters skated well and they did. Yuna was elegant and classy in Sochi but lacked fire in some peoples eyes and Adelina was clearly more athletic and more passionate with a more difficult higher scoring routine and she was rewarded for it.

:thumbsup:

Scott512

Record Breaker
The more Koreans hate on Adelina, the worse the chances are for judging reform. Blaming the skater does nothing to change the results or the judging regulations.
Still hating on her? Sad to know. Maybe the insane hate won't cease for years. Crazy. But for those thinking the South Korean crowds may be rude towards Sotnikova in 2018 figure skating fans are just not like that. And Ade has to make the very deep and good Russian team in 2018 and that is not guaranteed especially if they only have 2 slots.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Me too. I've always tried to avoid her thread even though I enjoyed her performance at Sochi better than Yuna. Personally I prefer Caro to be the OGM but it doesn't matter now. What matters is I hope Adelina and get over her mentality and deliver clean performances again. I hope to see that fire and energy in her programs next season.
People forgot that Caro skated so well too yet she and her fans said nothing about her getting robbed in Sochi even though a case could be made she deserved the gold as well.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I can not wrap my head around that spiral at 2:30 :frown: When I first saw it a while back I was sure it had been a mistake. I hope it gets axed. I like that she's gone with dramatic programs this year though.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Powerful SP. That's what Adelina needs, it's great, really.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yep, I like the program. :)
I like it, too. Vocal is not really easy but I think it's not a bad choice for her.

Anyways Alba, please read my visitor message for you. Your inbox is full I can't send another message.

Macassar88

Medalist
Is there a reason she always performs the second half?

Also I have to say the spiral looked a lot better this time. The extra move looked more deliberate instead of like a mistake.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I can not wrap my head around that spiral at 2:30 :frown: When I first saw it a while back I was sure it had been a mistake. I hope it gets axed. I like that she's gone with dramatic programs this year though.

Glad I am not the only one. I also thought it was a mistake and she had to reset and correct her balance. Now it looks a little more deliberate but. . . I just don't get it. If it is supposed to demonstrate control. . . well that's not what I am seeing.

starlight97

Final Flight
When I saw it on The Ice I thought the same: She made a mistake and lost her balance. ...oh they say it was in purpose?? Well then it just looks horrible.
But yesterday it looked more deliberate and you know, the are so many spin positions that looks ugly but are hard to do and therfore get points- so let her do it, it's not an easy move and judges seem to think: the more complicated the better :p

Mony

On the Ice
^ She is dealing with this crap gracefully. The strongest Olympic champion the Ladies have ever seen. We wouldn't know that without haters. We should be grateful to them, in a weird way. :unsure:

Agreed that she is dealing with it well and it shows she has a strong family and people around her to help her with it. People forget that she recently turned 18 and to see what people write about her as well to her, it's horrible. To do that to anyone is horrible, esp to someone so young. Some young and older people aren't able to deal with such treatment esp since it is over the internet.

Either way, I like the program, of course she has to work on things but for where she is now in the season, it is good.

I like that their are so many Russian female skaters, as the competition helps to push one another to do better.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
When I saw it on The Ice I thought the same: She made a mistake and lost her balance. ...oh they say it was in purpose?? Well then it just looks horrible.
But yesterday it looked more deliberate and you know, the are so many spin positions that looks ugly but are hard to do and therfore get points- so let her do it, it's not an easy move and judges seem to think: the more complicated the better :p

It does look more deliberate now, and I can appreciate doing something different, but this could use some work still. I think if after she brings her foot around to the front she brought the leg straight up and back, rather than bringing it behind her, bending the knee and then going up. The swing to the front I am actually starting to like, I think it does have potential, the getting the leg back up in the air still looks awkward and like a balance correction. Maybe if she held a bent knee in back position deliberately longer it could help. It is not so much about ugly as it is about looking like she is windmilling for balance.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm glad I am not the only one who thought it was a mistake at first! I agree with others who say it does look more deliberately executed now. :yes: While I'm sure it takes tremendous balance to perform, it just isn't really aesthetically pleasing to watch. Maybe it does have potential, but right now it needs some editing. You certainly don't want the judges to question if it's a mistake when she debuts it. I can see how it could look cool though.

anyanka

Record Breaker
It does look more deliberate now, and I can appreciate doing something different, but this could use some work still. I think if after she brings her foot around to the front she brought the leg straight up and back, rather than bringing it behind her, bending the knee and then going up. The swing to the front I am actually starting to like, I think it does have potential, the getting the leg back up in the air still looks awkward and like a balance correction. Maybe if she held a bent knee in back position deliberately longer it could help. It is not so much about ugly as it is about looking like she is windmilling for balance.

Once she gets it out in competition often enough, and judges know to look for it as a stylistic maneuver and not a mistake, then it should remove all doubt. It may even help her presentation skills if it's timed well with the music.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Koreans prove once again they are in general irrational. No matter it is from North or South, related to politics or sport, fanaticism is bad.
Adelina is only a victim in this story with the OGM. She didn’t give herself that score. But stupid people cannot understand. I was shocked to see how many :disagree: she got for a program that’s not bad at all.
:disapp::confused:

I agree that Adelina is also the victim of what happened in Sochi but generalizing an entire race? Really? I can't help but think you too are being irrational if you think that Korean people are the only ones who are doing this to Adelina. We don't know who those people are for sure. They might not be Koreans. Maybe some people just didn't like her program. Who knows...

anyanka

Record Breaker
Koreans prove once again they are in general irrational. No matter it is from North or South, related to politics or sport, fanaticism is bad.
Adelina is only a victim in this story with the OGM. She didn’t give herself that score. But stupid people cannot understand. I was shocked to see how many :disagree: she got for a program that’s not bad at all.
:disapp::confused:

Lest we forge, there was a MASSIVE public outcry in the Western media about the result, so your comment does not apply solely and exclusively to Koreans wholesale. And I'm sure there may be some Koreans who have had enough of Queen Yuna and secretly prefer Adelina, but dare not say it in public. And how can we be certain that all 18 dislikes came from Koreans? Yuna fans sure, but let's be cautious about dismissing an entire nation.

Now, let's all talk about ADELINA and celebrate her accomplishments and ambitions, shall we?