Adelina Sotnikova | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

Meoima

Match Penalty
Lest we forge, there was a MASSIVE public outcry in the Western media about the result, so your comment does not apply solely and exclusively to Koreans wholesale. And I'm sure there may be some Koreans who have had enough of Queen Yuna and secretly prefer Adelina, but dare not say it in public. And how can we be certain that all 18 dislikes came from Koreans? Yuna fans sure, but let's be cautious about dismissing an entire nation.
Now, let's all talk about ADELINA and celebrate her accomplishments and ambitions, shall we?
For your interest it's 728 dislike already.

Imagine

Medalist
I agree that Adelina is also the victim of what happened in Sochi but generalizing an entire race? Really? I can't help but think you too are being irrational if you think that Korean people are the only ones who are doing this to Adelina. We don't know who those people are for sure. They might not be Koreans. Maybe some people just didn't like her program. Who knows...

I agree. Koreans should not be collectively blamed, rather, its the Korean netizens/crazies demographic that make up this disgusting and vile subspecies. Time and time again, this has become obvious even outside of such things as figure skating.

starlight97

Final Flight
Jeez will this discussion ever stop :rolleye:
The entire world cried out.
In Germany it was in every sports magazine:

" Queen Yuna Kim flawless again, ends career on a golden note - but thanks to corruption only with a silver medal."

Katarina Witt was one of the first to deem this result, she was outraged. So were maaany others.

BUT IT'S OVER can we talk about what Adelina is currently doing? We only help those people( not those "Koreans"!) if we keep discussing it! !

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh: Had Adelina been a US girl like Sarah Hughes, the cry out would have been reduced to a significant degree IMO. :biggrin:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Maybe some people just don´t like the program. I understand that fans get defensive, but there isn´t a need to get paranoid if somebody gives a bad review.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
any news whether she's keeping her swan lake program? just wondering since I do remember that she was said to be collaborating with Bel Suono for one of her programs this year.

Naya

On the Ice
Adelina's Istagram still have some very nasty comments... I just hope that these "fans" someday realize how pathetic, creepy and low this behavior is.

sunnybear

Rinkside
Let's face it guys. Most of the dislikes are there not because people disliked the program per se, but rather, that they simply hate Adelina for what happened in Sochi, and unfairly so. Not all of the crazies are Korean people but it is also not wrong to say that most of them are Korean judging from the language used in the comments. It will happen no matter how well she skates and it is highly unlikely that they will ever think that their actions are “pathetic” or “creepy”. If internet crazies were capable of empathy and rational thought, we wouldn't have to deal with cyberbullying.

HOWEVER, I feel that the most important thing for us as fans of Adelina is to recognise that the best way to support her is to believe in her, celebrate her achievements and take the higher road. Waging a war on internet crazies will not get us anywhere. Generalising an entire nation will only make it worse (I know that even Mao has Korean fans. :D)

My only wish for Adelina is for her to skate a program that will make her think, “That was the skate of my life. It doesn't get any better than this.” I don't care how many dislikes or bad comments she gets in it, the most important thing is how she feels about herself.

Meoima

Match Penalty
any news whether she's keeping her swan lake program? just wondering since I do remember that she was said to be collaborating with Bel Suono for one of her programs this year.
In the new programs thread, it seems she still keeps the Swan lake program as the SP.

starlight97

Final Flight

Yes it's official.
The Bel Suono thing was a mistake which was made by the media. Yulia uses Bel Suono's "Megapolis" for her SP, they mixed them up ;)

dia

Rinkside
I agree that Adelina is also the victim of what happened in Sochi but generalizing an entire race? Really? I can't help but think you too are being irrational if you think that Korean people are the only ones who are doing this to Adelina. We don't know who those people are for sure. They might not be Koreans. Maybe some people just didn't like her program. Who knows...

I suppose you know it already:
http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2014/02/21/yuna-kim-petition-gets-record-signings/

"An online petition calling for an investigation into the scoring of the women’s figure skating competition at the Winter OlympicsOlympicsOlympics attracted more than 1.2 million signatures within about 12 hours of Yuna Kim’s shock silver medal.
Change.org, the website where the petition is filed, says 700,000 people signed the petition within six hours. About 90% of signatures were from people inside South Korea, it said."

Think about those living outside South Korea, too.

I don't want to say more… I studied some Korean language during college years. I traveled to Korea and learned a lot about them. I am European NOT Russian and I can have an objective opinion on this topic. Before the comments were disabled and deleted most were in Korean or under Korean names.
Italians are also writing nasty things but they are by far not so numerous.
BTW, at the Olympics I liked Carolina better than both Yu-na or Adelina, but I still think that what they are doing to Adelina with those comments is disgusting.

dia

Rinkside
Jeez will this discussion ever stop :rolleye:
The entire world cried out.
In Germany it was in every sports magazine:

" Queen Yuna Kim flawless again, ends career on a golden note - but thanks to corruption only with a silver medal."

Katarina Witt was one of the first to deem this result, she was outraged. So were maaany others.

BUT IT'S OVER can we talk about what Adelina is currently doing? We only help those people( not those "Koreans"!) if we keep discussing it! !

What did Witt have to say about the scoring?

"I am stunned by this result, I don't understand the scoring," Witt said on German TV.

However, other former skaters saw nothing wrong with the judges' scoring"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/winter-olympics-skating-scandal-petition-tops-16-million/

Who is your "entire world"? How about those "maaany" others? (except for many Koreans - more than 1.7 million since not all of them have access to Internet)
Besides, if not a biased opinion, the appellative "queen" should be placed within quotation marks.

starlight97

Final Flight
Dear dia I hope you will realize, after reading my post again, that I wrote it with the intention to END this discussion.

(And to make it clear that judging over an entire race an entire country in such a way is completely unacceptable.
Some people judged (and are judging) over the entire Russian population because of Sochi, that they are all "corrupt and unfair" etc, that Putin gave Ade the medal - This is of course completely wrong and unacceptable as well.)
This forum is not political.
-----------
https://www.google.com/search?q=ade...en-figure-skating-long-program-91959;1024;626
This is a young girl that works hard every day to skate programs that we can watch and enjoy. Let's talk about that here ;)

dia

Rinkside
Dear dia I hope you will realize, after reading my post again, that I wrote it with the intention to END this discussion.

(And to make it clear that judging over an entire race an entire country in such a way is completely unacceptable.
Some people judged (and are judging) over the entire Russian population because of Sochi, that they are all "corrupt and unfair" etc, that Putin gave Ade the medal - This is of course completely wrong and unacceptable as well.)
This forum is not political.
-----------
https://www.google.com/search?q=ade...en-figure-skating-long-program-91959;1024;626
This is a young girl that works hard every day to skate programs that we can watch and enjoy. Let's talk about that here ;)

I said "Koreans, in general" because of their overwhelming reaction on the Internet. Not all the Koreans or the entire nation. You should not feel offended. Your "entire world" is much worse. Admit it, then we can put and end to this.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I don't think it's a good idea to compare if it's worse to say that there was an outcry in the entire world, or that Koreans are 'irrational'; and likewise to threaten not to drop the issue until the other side admits being wrong - in a fanfest thread of all things. I agree with Starlight97 - talking about her haters and where they are from, isn't of much use to Adelina. I praise her for not being an emotional wreck from all the negative feedback, and I'm happy to leave it at that. I don't even want to know where the haters are from. I just hope they shut up and their numbers diminish if Adelina skates perfectly this season.
Speaking of her new season... I am purposefully avoiding video spoilers, but those of you who aren't- I would like to hear what you liked best in what you've seen from her new free program so far. :]

starlight97

Final Flight
I don't think it's a good idea to compare if it's worse to say that there was an outcry in the entire world, or that Koreans are 'irrational'; and likewise to threaten not to drop the issue until the other side admits being wrong - in a fanfest thread of all things. I agree with Starlight97 - talking about her haters and where they are from, isn't of much use to Adelina. I praise her for not being an emotional wreck from all the negative feedback, and I'm happy to leave it at that. I don't even want to know where the haters are from. I just hope they shut up and their numbers diminish if Adelina skates perfectly this season.
Speaking of her new season... I am purposefully avoiding video spoilers, but those of you who aren't- I would like to hear what you liked best in what you've seen from her new free program so far. :]

She's only skated part of her FS yet.
- Imo the best thing about it is the expressiveness and the maturity which she projects.
If the judges go with her, her Components will easily be the highest this season.
- Her jumps are as big as they were before, huge elevation! She's missed some, but it were only exhibitions and the Russian test skate to far.
-If she manages to be consistent she's poised for gold.
Given her huge jumps (+GOE), her difficult spins (+GOE) and the expressiveness she has in her prorams this season (all the other skaters lack one of these 3 things. Lipnitskaya can't measure up to the jumps GOE, Radionova lacks the components and speed across the ice cause of her age, Edmunds doesn't have the spins/components etc...)
And I'm saying this as a huge Lipnitskaya fan!
We've seen it last season already. .. at Euros or the GPF. If Adelina skates a clean program, she scores higher than any of the currently competing ladies. She gave the medals away by being inconsistent.
I don't think anybody of the current competitors can beat a clean Adelina. If she skates cleanly(can't stress it enough)

Scott512

Record Breaker
What did Witt have to say about the scoring?

"I am stunned by this result, I don't understand the scoring," Witt said on German TV.

However, other former skaters saw nothing wrong with the judges' scoring"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/winter-olympics-skating-scandal-petition-tops-16-million/

Who is your "entire world"? How about those "maaany" others? (except for many Koreans - more than 1.7 million since not all of them have access to Internet)
Besides, if not a biased opinion, the appellative "queen" should be placed within quotation marks.
I always agreed with Scott Hamilton's point scoring assessment of why Adelina beat Kim for gold and to hear Julia's coach so passionate about why Adelina deserved the gold made me comfortable with her gold medal no matter the outcry. Yulia was also sure Adelina deserved the gold as was the best 15 year old figure skater in history Tara Lipinski. She was so pulling for Yulia but was fine with Adelina winning the Sochi gold and how she did it by out scoring Yuna.

Scott512

Record Breaker
^ She is dealing with this crap gracefully. The strongest Olympic champion the Ladies have ever seen. We wouldn't know that without haters. We should be grateful to them, in a weird way. :unsure:

Adelina is old school Russian strong. A warrior woman! But at some point all the hate has to get to her doesn't it?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Adelina Sotnikova, Russian Open Skates 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8wPaZZ04fg&list=UUjaUiznBS9O3SeqwqlIc4UQ

Yuna fans is on the watch, 18 dislikes already :laugh:
Thanks that open skate video was great to see. Adelina looks wonderful and is skating well. What a girl! I loved the way Ade came over to the boards and touched the glass like a hockey player does after scoring a goal. By the way speaking of hockey it may be only a matter of time before Adelina is dating a hockey player. ;)