Adelina Sotnikova | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

yay

On the Ice
Press conference of CoR with Adelina. It's in russian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSZV9MzFBU
The interview is barely informative and (painfully) trivial, I'm sorry, the key points only:
Mr. Kogan says she (and Trankov whom he mentions) is expected to compete at Nationals in Sochi.
Adelina briefly comments her new programs: SP - she skated to the Swan Lake long ago(2009 - a/n) and because she's changed a lot since then and her skating has dramatically improved, she sees this program as an opportunity to express her "new self". LP - she chose the music herself / says the piece (and the program) is "heartbreaking" & her goal is to make the audience cry(after saying that, she laughs). Mr. Kogan adds that he's already seen the program and indeed it is that impressive. :popcorn:

ETA: kept typing "Krogan", I suppose I played too much Mass Effect

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Thank you yay. :biggrin:

Interesting they are expecting V&T to compete at Nationals. :think:

Mony

On the Ice
The interview is barely informative and (painfully) trivial, I'm sorry, the key points only:
Mr. Kogan says she (and Trankov whom he mentions) is expected to compete at Nationals in Sochi.
Adelina briefly comments her new programs: SP - she skated to the Swan Lake long ago(2009 - a/n) and because she's changed a lot since then and her skating has dramatically improved, she sees this program as an opportunity to express her "new self". LP - she chose the music herself / says the piece (and the program) is "heartbreaking" & her goal is to make the audience cry(after saying that, she laughs). Mr. Kogan adds that he's already seen the program and indeed it is that impressive. :popcorn:

ETA: kept typing "Krogan", I suppose I played too much Mass Effect

Thanks for giving information on the key points. I hope she heals well and can't wait to see her at nationals.

Mony

On the Ice
I've read that her boot is off. I think it was on this forum. So she might have started practicing again. Do you all think she will perform at nationals?

I would love to see her but I am not sure she will be in shape to do her programs so soon after such a long time out.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yulia and Anna have left the door open for Adelina's return. But Russian Nationals seems so soon... I don't know how Adelina can get in shape to skate a full LP by then.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I wanna see her in Nats because:
1. to see more of her programs (esp. that spiral in her LP :think: it's very interesting and unique)
2. improvements
3. chance to redeem her from her injuries and last year I guess (?)

but at the same time, I don't want to see her because:
1. higher chances of aggravating her old injuries
2. lack of preparation (a very big disadvantage for her)
3. not see her implode (let's face it- she's not consistent as her peers :eek:hwell:)

Other than that, she has a good chance of going into WC just because of inconsistency that Yulia, Anna, and Alena displayed this season so far. But then again, we can't count them out yet for the same reasons.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
My prediction is Adelina is out for the remainder of the season. Even if she manages to be capable of attending Worlds, I don't think she'll go. Just my guess.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've read that her boot is off. I think it was on this forum. So she might have started practicing again. Do you all think she will perform at nationals?

I would love to see her but I am not sure she will be in shape to do her programs so soon after such a long time out.

Her cast came off during NHK trophy but she had to do off ice rehabilitation for minimum of two weeks. So she only started on ice training this past Thursday/Friday. Nationals start next Wednesday and that's simply isn't enough time. I expect the announcement to come sometime this week of her intentions.

Barb

Record Breaker
I dont think she will be ready at nationals, I love her LP, so I want she skip the season, so we can watch her LP all the next season.

Mony

On the Ice
Ah well yeah that seems so soon. Maybe Russian Federation might send her to Euros to see how she does. I guess we will have to wait longer to see her programs.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah well yeah that seems so soon. Maybe Russian Federation might send her to Euros to see how she does. I guess we will have to wait longer to see her programs.

If both Julia/Anna bomb nationals, maybe. If one of those 2 skate reasonably well, then no, that will be a scandal on the Russian boards. Her season is practally over unless she does some Senior Bs, Universiade (1st week February) or Russian Cup Final (last week February). If she does end up doing competitions outside of Russia and is in better competitive shape than Anna/Julia (assuming both Rad/Tuk are in) then maybe she can win a spot to Worlds :biggrin:

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker

Would the Russian feds give her a bye to attend Euros and Worlds while skipping nationals? If they don't, and she misses nationals, then the E/W team would like be Liza, Lena and Yulia.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Would the Russian feds give her a bye to attend Euros and Worlds while skipping nationals? If they don't, and she misses nationals, then the E/W team would like be Liza, Lena and Yulia.
I think it depends on how Yulia and Anna do at Nationals. If they both bomb, I think the Russian Fed could send Adelina to Europeans as her "test skate."

Mony

On the Ice
If both Julia/Anna bomb nationals, maybe. If one of those 2 skate reasonably well, then no, that will be a scandal on the Russian boards. Her season is practally over unless she does some Senior Bs, Universiade (1st week February) or Russian Cup Final (last week February). If she does end up doing competitions outside of Russia and is in better competitive shape than Anna/Julia (assuming both Rad/Tuk are in) then maybe she can win a spot to Worlds :biggrin:

I am not talking about Worlds, just Euros. Worlds is the bigger tournament so she would have to do nationals and place in the top 3 to go to it. Euros is smaller, so I was thinking they might not send Tuk or Rad there and send them to Worlds instead, if they place in the top 2 at nationals of course. However, yeah now that I think about it, they probably wouldn't let her do that either. No need to rush, I guess. Universiade would be good, she is in university now. I hope she goes to that, I don't want her to miss the entire season.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not talking about Worlds, just Euros. Worlds is the bigger tournament so she would have to do nationals and place in the top 3 to go to it. Euros is smaller, so I was thinking they might not send Tuk or Rad there and send them to Worlds instead, if they place in the top 2 at nationals of course. However, yeah now that I think about it, they probably wouldn't let her do that either. No need to rush, I guess. Universiade would be good, she is in university now. I hope she goes to that, I don't want her to miss the entire season.

No way is the fed giving away their spot if both finish 1 and 2 at nationals. Neither has won it and last year the winner of Nationals automatically earned a spot. They're the most consistent skaters this season and winning Euros can help build momentum towards a possible World title (example Lip last year going into the Olympics). It would be unfair if one got the opportunity while the other didn't especially when both of their scoring potential is practically tied when clean. Winning Euros can tilt the balance in their favor.

Plus Euros is what Russia uses as qualification to Worlds not nationals (along with the Russian Cup Final....supposedly). Anyway I don't see her competing at all this season unless she shows up at the Cup Final. Everything else seems too soon including Universiade. But the competition is usually so weak there, it could be used as a good starting point after a long break!

Last edited:

Mony

On the Ice
Hmm well I guess we will see what the Fed does. They use whatever to determine things. I just don't want her to miss the season, but if there is no other choice I guess not. It would be nice to see her at the Winter Universiade. She would have 2 months to prepare for it.

I guess we will know more information this week.