Adelina Sotnikova | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

andromache

Record Breaker
I've converted to being an Adelina fan after seeing her Japan Open performance. I LOVE the overdramatic program and she sells it so well (just get rid of the heart on the dress). Everything about her skating (except the jumps) has improved exponentially since 2014. Her artistry and skating skills have really improved. It'll be a huge shame if she isn't able to pull off the technical content, because I'm really rooting for her now that she has improved.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've converted to being an Adelina fan after seeing her Japan Open performance. I LOVE the overdramatic program and she sells it so well (just get rid of the heart on the dress). Everything about her skating (except the jumps) has improved exponentially since 2014. Her artistry and skating skills have really improved. It'll be a huge shame if she isn't able to pull off the technical content, because I'm really rooting for her now that she has improved.

DWTS really helped her. Her new SP is pretty good as well. There are videos of it posted throughout this thread. She has Mordovian Ornament in 2 weeks so hopefully we will see some more improvements technically :cheer: Agree about the heart.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Miss Sotnikova is the best at skating skill among Russian ladies right now. I have seen her live and she was so fast. Maybe currently she is the fastest. I hope she will get back her jumps soon.

Just rewatched JO and wow, you're right. Her speed/skating skills looks so effortless here vs on the Russian vids. She looked really good overall for her first time out!!!

ETA: Whoever said her jumps were huge weren't lying. The triples she landed were very nice.

Last edited:

Mony

On the Ice
DWTS really helped her. Her new SP is pretty good as well. There are videos of it posted throughout this thread. She has Mordovian Ornament in 2 weeks so hopefully we will see some more improvements technically :cheer: Agree about the heart.

I agree DWTS really helped her with her expression. Slowly but surely she is getting there. If she can get back her jumps and continue having her confidence, by Rostelecom Cup we might see a very good Adelina.

This is her first real pressure skate after a year out, and then she had injury, she is getting there. People will continue to hate on her, but just once it doesn't affect her. There are many who love her as well.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I see she is no longer running into the boards at the end... not even kidding, I am kind of bummed.

Same here. :cry:

My thoughts exactly. This program is so dramatic and over the top but I'm in :love: with it. Way smoother than in Sochi. I feel so guilty saying that, but it's so good! :biggrin:

The costume also reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zek69FhRfBc

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Her performance at the Japan Open was great! I'm glad she didn't retire but chose to compete. Jumps are not fully there but the other elements are high quality. And her presentation is even better than before! Best of luck to Adelina for her future!

tulosai

Record Breaker
There's actually a lot of people who like her program. They're just not on this board :laugh: Most on FSU seem to like it esp compared to the other Russian girls! Most didn't like her dramatic test skates ending ;)

I'm also a person who likes- no actually LOVES- this program!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
So happy about how her first real comeback skate went! And I also really liked her reaction after the skate, she looked really happy to be back to me.

And it's also great to read quite a few people were won over by this skate. Her comeback is already paying off, IMO. Welcome to everyone to the fan feast who might be new here :)

Leonardo said:
I feel guilty because I loooove her program and many people don't. So intense, dramatic and beautiful. Is it just me or her jumps are looking really really big?

No, it's not just you, her jumps are huuuuuuuuge when she's fit. When I saw her live at TEB 2013 I was :jaw: at some of her jumps. She landed a 2A in a 6 min warm-up that could have been a 3A from your average male skater height and ice coverage wise. And she was by far the fastest lady back then too.

dna5019

Final Flight

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And it's also great to read quite a few people were won over by this skate. Her comeback is already paying off, IMO. Welcome to everyone to the fan feast who might be new here :)

Yes welcome :party2: And I hope she keeps winning people over :points:

starlight97

Final Flight
Adelina Batucada Brasileira (Latin SP) Carnival on Ice http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38k1fo_caoi2015-adelina-sotnikova_sport

2nd part of SP now identified as Batucada Brasileira by Estudios Talkback
:biggrin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-GXdIrF8s

Very strong!
Japan Open actually made it look like she can come back. Of course only competitions will reveal her technical ability but performance and PCS wise she seems superior to many right now.
If she will really show good results this season she will prove many wrong, including me :)

winky97

Medalist
Alright, I after watching the Russian test skate and halfway liking the program, I watched her Japan Open program and decided I kind of liked it. Will not call myself a fan, but she's not so bad.

Franklin99

Medalist
I'm so glad Adelina used the time off to focus on her SS. When executed successfully, her jumps are huge and powerful, and she has beautiful spins and speed, but her skating skills were lacking. But with this huge improvement in her SS, and when she finally has all of her jumps back (hopefully before nationals), even with a 3A, Liza won't be much of a threat if Adelina skates at her top level.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm so glad Adelina used the time off to focus on her SS. When executed successfully, her jumps are huge and powerful, and she has beautiful spins and speed, but her skating skills were lacking. But with this huge improvement in her SS, and when she finally has all of her jumps back (hopefully before nationals), even with a 3A, Liza won't be much of a threat if Adelina skates at her top level.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she does get all of her jumps back!

After the time off, her skating and performance skills have improved dramatically. I'd love to see her as the number one Russian lady this season (never thought I'd say this...but I'm completely on board the fan bandwagon now). I liked watching the rivalry between Liza and Elena last season, but Adelina has them both beat in sophistication and skating skills, and she's the only one who can deservedly compete with Mao and Satoko on PCS. (I'm also a big fan of the American ladies, but Ashley lacks the skating skills and Gracie lacks the expressiveness. Plus they're prone to bombing :hopelessness:).

If/when Adelina gets her arsenal of jumps back, she'll be the most well-balanced lady in the field along with Mao, with the jumps, the skating skills, and the performance quality. I'm excited to see how she improves technically over the next few months.