Evgeni Plushenko | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

LRK

Record Breaker
A worthy way to use your 1000th post, CaroLiza_fan - thank you and congratulations!

Myself, I must confess I skidded over the 1000th mark without noticing... ah, well! Here's to the both of us - to 1000 posts more! (holds up cup of tea)

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, what the heck! I was debating where to put these, but may as well go here:

Plushenko News_Eng‏@PlushenkoNews·20 feb
RT @EvgeniPlushenko: Congratulations to Adelina Sotnikova - our 1st Olympic Champion in Russian history! Bravo! #Sochi2014

Plushenko News_Eng‏@PlushenkoNews·20 feb
RT @EvgeniPlushenko: Yulia, do not be upset, to you all still is ahead, and do not forget that you are, too - Olympic Champion! #Sochi2014

Evgeni Plushenko‏@EvgeniPlushenko·20 feb
Congratulations to Una Kim and Carolina Costner, thank you for amazing skating! #Sochi2014

Evgeni Plushenko‏@EvgeniPlushenko·20 feb
Mao - you was great, special thanks for Axel 3,5! You're real fighter!! #Sochi2014

Note that the last two are in English - and he hardly ever tweets in English; he contented himself with congratulating the men in Russian, for example... Maybe he is more gallant with the ladies? :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Apparently, Plushenko will have in March a new op on his spine http://www.thespec.com/sports-story...kater-plushenko-to-have-back-surgery-march-2/ .

Thanks for sharing that! Hope everything goes well, indeed!

This made me flinch:

"has already had surgery on his back "but a pin that was in there snapped off," "

I hope that people who said he "chickened out" will now shut it. Are you going to post this in some other thread as well, aschiutza? I'd suggest the Injuries & Other Ills thread, perhaps - or I could do it if you like?

aschiutza

On the Ice
I don't know where that thread is, so please can you post it there?

I would freak out if soemthing like that would happen to my back, the skaters are really courageous soldier of sport !

LRK

Record Breaker
Done. And I totally agree with you - I admire the skaters and their courage. Just imagining.... ugh!

whitebamboo

On the Ice
Here is a Russia Channel 1 news report about Evgeni's injury:
http://www.1tv.ru/news/sport/252755

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where there are a few screencaps of the program, including one image of the screws holding his artificial disc in place. You can see that one of them was broken in half along the bone surface. He's scheduled to have another surgery on March 2, and from the doctor's descriptions, what will need to be done sounds very scary. He will need a long time to recover.

It might very well have happened during the last 3A in the warm-up before the men's program. Evgeni is extremely lucky that the broken pieces didn't slide further and go into his spinal cord then and there, and he is extremely lucky to have decided to stop. Otherwise the consequences do not bear thinking about. (Right after the withdrawal, he told reporters it was as if God said, "Evgeni, it is enough". I am so thankful right now that he listened.)

I can imagine that he must be going through such a tough time right now. I want to ask that if you have twitter, please, if you can, @EvgeniPlushenko and say something kind and hopeful to him. I know that he has always been so appreciative of support from fans. I think it would mean much to him.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, whitebamboo! It does not bear thinking of, indeed! Ultimately, it is only the person themselves who can judge of their own health, and what they should do or not. Thankfully, Plushy is such a strong person, and knows to listen in time, and not worry about "what people will say". (Quite generally, and beside this, I think it is the height of arrogance to presume to dictate to another person what they and their body should or should not be capable of. Only I know how I feel.) I don't think I can look at those screencaps just now... maybe later.

LRK

Record Breaker
I can't even see an author for this article - surely this new incarnation of Oscar Wilde would want to put their name to this masterpiece? I can understand criticism - what I don't get is contempt. Apparently Plushy is just a laughingstock to this person. And they quote Robin Cousins - but none of the skaters who have said supportive and kind things about Plushy. Well, that isn't biassed at all, is it? I also seriously doubt this person has an inkling that the screw in Plushy's back broke - or would they still say that he "stage managed" that? Indeed, I'd have to agree that anyone who was prepared to break a screw in his own back for the sake of a dramatic exit, was a diva indeed! But no one cares about the fact that Plushy is having surgery on 2nd March. I suppose that just isn't delicious gossip enough? Meanwhile, any stray comment of Plushy's that can be conceived as controversial, apparently merits its own thread. Well, go figure...

aschiutza

On the Ice
Actually i am more mad and sad, as the article seems to be written from someone at Reuters, which is an important news agengy. That they can be so full of contempt to a sporter who really have given everything for the sport, is beyond me....

I think thet Plusehnko is really p... off, as he now wants to film his OP. No need, Plush! THose who are bashing you, will do in any case and choose only the information they want to ...

LRK

Record Breaker
Agreed. And those who want to bash will do so regardless if they make any conisistent sense or not. After all, they do not consider themselves accountable. Those who merrily bash him for being a liar and a cheat one second, will cheerfully turn around and slam him for being attention seeking the next, and won't acknowledge that they ever did anything wrong - oh, no, not they! I'm sure those people won't pause and acknowledge for a second the reason for why he'd feel the need to do such an unprecedented thing such as having his own operation filmed. But if he does, at least there will be proof.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Even though I've always been on Yagudin's team, I admire Plushenko's passion and talent for skating. It's so sad he might never be able to skate again. I hope he will be okay and start coaching. Thay way he would have more chances to inspire more people.

whitebamboo

On the Ice
I know the media is suddenly full of reports that Plushenko will be "broadcasting live" his upcoming surgery. However, Yana has clarified that this is not what they are intending to do. They are going to try to record the operation, in case that the people who are claiming that he was somehow "faking it all" refuse to stop. (Fans of Evgeni will remember the story with Zhurankov last year...)

http://www.echo.msk.ru/news/1265558-echo.html
http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/158185479.html
http://www.metronews.ru/shou-biznes...tel-no-budut-zapisyvat/Tponbx---e4yngzgJTc6o/

(In the last report, Mishin also said that it is not true.)

The press, as it always does, jumps on the first report of "live broadcast" because they love "drama". Most of them will ignore the clarifications--as they always do. But I thought I would mention this. (To be honest, I think this idea of recording the operation is not going to help...But mostly it saddens me that it has come to this.)

LRK

Record Breaker
Just to remind all Plushy fans that his surgery is tomorrow - please keep him in your thoughts!

I pray for a successful surgery and recovery.