Evgeni Plushenko | Page 116 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

LRK

Record Breaker
I guess the joke is, Plushy is so obsessed with skating/ice that he'll build an ice rink anywhere, even above someone's flat?

Anyway... no such thing as bad publicity, right? It does show a pic of Snow King at the end, so maybe some people are curious. It's not a very funny joke though.

While I don't really understand the "Team for 2018" stuff (wouldn't it just be "wait and see"?), this part caught my attention:

Does this mean he does quad combinations and 3-3s? Or... is he training 4-3-3 again? :slink: (Oh, gosh, I hope he doesn't read this and get ideas...)

Ha! We are going to Blame It All On You! As if he needed encouragement... ("Don't talk to it Merry - don't encourage it."

Meanwhile, what really puzzled me was "Now it also cook." - ??????!??????

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wasn't there reports of him still doing 4-3-3 in practice at Sochi? Even though it's probably the most risky, ill-rewarded thing under the current system.

I wondered about the cooking part too. :scratch:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Wasn't there reports of him still doing 4-3-3 in practice at Sochi? Even though it's probably the most risky, ill-rewarded thing under the current system.

I wondered about the cooking part too. :scratch:

Yes he landed 4-3-3 in practice

Plushenko did cascade "4-3-3" before the performance in the individual tournament
http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014_figure/20140212/723766394.html

I think he said he is doing quadruple single jumps and 3+3 combo.

:laugh: I think the google translater made a joke. He said: Возможно, на чемпионате России по фигурному катанию, который пройдёт в конце декабря в Сочи, выступлю в качестве гостя с показательным номером. Сейчас его тоже готовлю.
In english: Perhaps at the Russian Championships in figure skating, which will take place in late December in Sochi, will speak as a guest with a show room. Now it also cook.

готов means ready. So I think that the exhibition number is also ready now...Or something like this. Nothing to do with the cooking :laugh:

nrew montage again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3OkOtVS84 Evgeni Plushenko - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me

I'm curious how many montages were created by the funs since Sochi....

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
After the latest Grand Prix... well, let's just say I didn't think I could appreciate Plushy's achievements even more, but I do. His record from 2002 to 2006 is simply inhuman. How I wish I had followed him then... the current landscape is just too crazy.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A short Plushy interview about the men's result...not sure if "a cold shower" is good or bad. :confused:

Two-time Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko said Maxim Kovtun successful performance in the short program at the Grand Prix in China, the results of which the Russians beat gold medalist Sochi 2014 Yuzuru Hanyu.

"Maxim - boy, did two quads, the only - he did three and a half turns. What can I say about Yuzuru, he is a cold shower, I think it is set to an arbitrary and give an Olympic skating.

Three points difference between first and second place, when Maxim jumped two quads and Yuzuru, in my opinion, without a quad, and three points - it's complete nonsense. And the fact that Maxim is growing - well done "- quoted Plushenko" Soviet Sport "

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
A short Plushy interview about the men's result...not sure if "a cold shower" is good or bad. :confused:

Two-time Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko said Maxim Kovtun successful performance in the short program at the Grand Prix in China, the results of which the Russians beat gold medalist Sochi 2014 Yuzuru Hanyu.

"Maxim - boy, did two quads, the only - he did three and a half turns. What can I say about Yuzuru, he is a cold shower, I think it is set to an arbitrary and give an Olympic skating.

Three points difference between first and second place, when Maxim jumped two quads and Yuzuru, in my opinion, without a quad, and three points - it's complete nonsense. And the fact that Maxim is growing - well done "- quoted Plushenko" Soviet Sport "

in my language we also said it: cold shower-something unexpected, unpleasant thing

After the latest Grand Prix... well, let's just say I didn't think I could appreciate Plushy's achievements even more, but I do. His record from 2002 to 2006 is simply inhuman. How I wish I had followed him then... the current landscape is just too crazy.

Yes, and if he didn't make a stupid mistake in GPF 2003 he would won his 5th GPF. He did one more combo what the rules allowed in his Lp. And Sandu could win.
But after this competition the ISU has changed this rule.

edit: he was my favorite in that time, but I couldn't follow him. The computer wasn't such as widespread as today. There was no Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and maybe Youtube?(I don't know) but I didn't use computer. Especially because of figure skating. This era is far better for the figure skating fans.

LRK

Record Breaker

I'm glad he said this. This reinforces - what all of us know, and some people will never believe - that it is about what people do on the ice that matters to him; not him being bitter or hateful, or blindly supporting some skaters. We all know he loves Yuzu - but he will always call - what he sees as - a spade a spade.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
...but, well, Kovtun bailed on the axel, and I seem to remember one two-footed/near two-footed jump. Of course, I do agree with the essence of Plushy's statement--3 point difference wasn't right, even though I'm a fan of Yuzuru.

But of course, now people will say he's a hypocrite! :laugh: Now that Kovtun is succeeding, Plushy is praising him. :p (Of course, if he'd said something to the opposite effect, like Kovtun's PCS being generous, he'll get criticized for being a hater).

Yes, and if he didn't make a stupid mistake in GPF 2003 he would won his 5th GPF. He did one more combo what the rules allowed in his Lp. And Sandu could win.
But after this competition the ISU has changed this rule.

edit: he was my favorite in that time, but I couldn't follow him. The computer wasn't such as widespread as today. There was no Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and maybe Youtube?(I don't know) but I didn't use computer. Especially because of figure skating. This era is far better for the figure skating fans.
Between 2002 and 2006, Plushy only lost two competitions, and one was the GPF you mentioned where he lost due to a technicality.

Between 2002 Olympics and 2012 Europeans, he only lost two short programs that I can recall (2005 Europeans and Worlds).

So many are tipped for easy domination, but Plushy was one of the few who actually achieved it. Maybe that's why he keeps coming back. :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
But of course, now people will say he's a hypocrite! :laugh: Now that Kovtun is succeeding, Plushy is praising him. :p (Of course, if he'd said something to the opposite effect, like Kovtun's PCS being generous, he'll get criticized for being a hater).

But Plushy always said "in this time". Right, in that time Kovtun was a common skater and he said Kovtun probably will improve.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But Plushy always said "in this time". Right, in that time Kovtun was a common skater and he said Kovtun probably will improve.
Frankly, I'm not sure if I'd consider Kovtun a "great"* skater even now, but I'll have to watch his LP. I dunno if I want to watch any more fall fests though... the ladies were already pretty bad except for Liza, so it's not surprising the guys were a quadruple nightmare.

*I reserve the title "great" for skaters who are proven champions and people who made contributions to the sport.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^^^ Save yourself the agony...well, maybe it's slightly less nightmarish when you don't watch it in real time (talking about the entire men's event here). But I will reserve judgment until I see him skate the program under somewhat normal circumstances. I posted an interview he did in the COC section; he was pretty shaken up, as I'm sure all of the last group was.

I think Kovtun is working towards improvement, but it's a slow process, and it's very possible that the younger guys will overtake him within a season or two (or Plushy himself, when he comes back :laugh:)...or he might be a late bloomer, like Menshov. Who knows?

adelia

Record Breaker
My opinion on Kovtun is more in-line with Plushy. He's by no means a weak skater but he's nothing special. It is the unfortunate truth though that at the moment, he is Russia's best skater, mostly because he is able to consistently land those 4Ts in competition. As I watched his SP, I thought of Plushy's bolero skated so many years ago and I immediately missed that glorious decade of mens skating between the late 90s and mid 00s

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, Plushy didn't say that Kovtun was "great" - he said he was "growing"; and he thought his points should have been more than three points higher than Yuzuru's after the SP. I see nothing strange in that.

Meanwhile, I think we should be careful about how we discuss Kovtun in this thread - I don't think we've said anything too negative as of yet - but it is a very slippery slope...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Okay, no reason to keep discussing Kovtun! Sorry for mentioning the great/average skater thing. I didn't mean it as a negative, just in that I have very high standards for "great" skaters. For instance, I'm a huge fan of Liza, but I'm not sure I'd say she's great among the true elites.

Maybe we should take this instance to discuss Plushy's Bolero instead. I've stated I'm not a fan; Plushyfan, iirc, feels differently. And in that interview with Johnny a while ago, that was a program that had a huge impact on him. Maybe I'm missing something? :scratch:

Bolero at 2001 Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQo4mLyGsNE

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Okay, no reason to keep discussing Kovtun! Sorry for mentioning the great/average skater thing. I didn't mean it as a negative, just in that I have very high standards for "great" skaters. For instance, I'm a huge fan of Liza, but I'm not sure I'd say she's great among the true elites.

Maybe we should take this instance to discuss Plushy's Bolero instead. I've stated I'm not a fan; Plushyfan, iirc, feels differently. And in that interview with Johnny a while ago, that was a program that had a huge impact on him. Maybe I'm missing something? :scratch:

Bolero at 2001 Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQo4mLyGsNE

Yes. I simply adore thte Bolero program. How I remember: I was Plushy's fan since 1998, when I saw him at ECH he was 15. He was a prodigy. (Before I was a Yagudin fan, ;) I always prefer the Russian skaters.) I rooting for him in every competition, I liked his style, I liked his big jumps, speed etc. But when I saw him in 2001 I got shock. I sat front of the TV and I was in shock. I can't believe in my eyes.

First of all he was beautiful as Johnny also noticed. His look was perfect on ice and because the FS is an aesthetic sport not inconsiderable. I just read this opinion his face like a porcelain doll here. And about his skating:I felt and still feel when I watch this program with his unstoppable energy, unique charisma. Speed, rhythm , passion and beautiful difficult jumps, footwork. That was pure art for me. And he was first time world champion with it .

This is another opinion why he could win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0BtVPavDR0 :laugh: I recommend you if you haven't seen it. The mullet begins..

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL that mullet is born video is like the greatest thing on the internet, I love it!

Bolero was indeed breath-taking, but I maintain when he showed up in the Dark Dark Eyes costume the legend was truly born. http://image01w.seesaawiki.jp/c/g/costume_skating/45e2e4a4fc93b6ad.jpg

That costume is a thing of beauty and had I being a judge I'd given him a 6.0 just for it, once I picked myself up off the floor... ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
My issue with Bolero is... it's just so weird. :laugh: The hands, the arm movements, the costume... I can't figure out what he's trying to pull. Sexy? Funny? Fierce? All three? And then there's the debate of "what's authentic Bolero"--was it too much and too weird, or did it need to be strange to stand out.

Plushy does strike an eye-catching figure in Bolero though. Love it or hate it, it's hard to forget. :laugh: The elements were indeed great (the stretch on the camel spin especially).

Btw, I just stumbled across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf39A-lquM8 Great skate for a 13-year-old, but what is he wearing?!?!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
My issue with Bolero is... it's just so weird. :laugh: The hands, the arm movements, the costume... I can't figure out what he's trying to pull. Sexy? Funny? Fierce? All three? And then there's the debate of "what's authentic Bolero"--was it too much and too weird, or did it need to be strange to stand out.

Plushy does strike an eye-catching figure in Bolero though. Love it or hate it, it's hard to forget. :laugh: The elements were indeed great (the stretch on the camel spin especially).

Btw, I just stumbled across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf39A-lquM8 Great skate for a 13-year-old, but what is he wearing?!?!

:laugh: I don't know what is trying to pull, but the Bolero is one of the most popular SP's of him.

Some months ago we are talking about a video, that was prohobited by IOC after Sochi. But my friend uploaded again just I forgot to show you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77qtX-jF-A All Evgeni Plushenko's costumes 1996-2010 (montage) This is a chinese video and so entertaining. WE can see some his awful costumes especially from the early years. The Tarantella costume one of them.:laugh:

I remember Lynn Rutherford told somewhere saw Plushy at first time in 1998 WCH. She saw a horrible-haired kid, in ugly green dress. But after he begun to skate.......look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7h-utC6kPY Dick Button was rigorous with him.. and can you say another skater who is brave to do such a movement like Plushy at 2:32 ????? No one like him...he was only 15!!! :laugh: