Evgeni Plushenko | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

LRK

Record Breaker
The list still needs to be approved by the Russian Olympic Committee and the Ministry of Sports; they will have a joint meeting tomorrow, I believe. Then it will be official :)

It's as if I'm afraid to let myself believe it fully, until I'm absolutely, absolutely sure!

ETA:

Plushenko News_Eng‏@PlushenkoNews14 min
Approved the composition of Russian skaters at the Olympics in #Sochi2014
http://translate.google.com/transla...t.ru/sochi2014_figure/20140123/717458444.html

whitebamboo

On the Ice
Before the Euros, I spent a little time going over and putting together various news items from before and after the RN, mostly interviews and statements by various people concerned, including Plushy and various people from the FFKKR. it was a confusing situation for many fans, and there were many distorted reports in the media (some deliberate, I think); in particular, I knew there was a great deal of criticism and attacks on Evgeni that were, IMO, unwarranted and based on incomplete or false information. So, I wanted to organize the information a bit more, and to form a clearer picture of what might have happened. Based on they publicly-available information I collected, I formed an idea of what (I believe) was the situation.

It is a very different story from the one that you'll probably get by reading the (several) recent threads about Plushenko in the Edge part of this message board. Of course, it was only my own interpretation, and as I fan, I know I cannot pretend to be completely objective. I am also sure that we do not have all information, but I believe there is enough to support some conclusions. The picture I arrived at--the one that I could not help deducing--made my heart ache for him, but also very, very proud of him at the same time.

The situation is different now, of course, and I don't want to dwell on this so much anymore, but just for the record, I wanted to still put this here:

a brief summary of what I think really happened, with links to supporting information

I have been going on about it at various other places before the Euros, but again, maybe by now I should not keep harping on it as much. We'll look forward. Nevertheless, I know that fans always believe in Evgeni--because we know him--but for others, there may still be misunderstandings about him, about his character. So, just in case this might help dispel a few of those misunderstandings...

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, whitebamboo, very thought provoking and lucidly argued.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I may be a bit late for the party ;) ...but my heartfelt BIIIIG CONGRATS to Evgeni, Mr Mishin and all his fans in the world, especially to such royal fans as seniorita and plushyfan, etc. :yes:, for him making the 4th Olympic Games in his home turf! :party2: Am so happy for ya all! :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I may be a bit late for the party ;) ...but my heartfelt BIIIIG CONGRATS to Evgeni, Mr Mishin and all his fans in the world, especially to such royal fans as seniorita and plushyfan, etc. :yes:, for him making the 4th Olympic Games in his home turf! :party2: Am so happy for ya all! :)
:)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Edvin Marton
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...526.1073741830.113731335482638&type=1&theater

Edvin Marton

Attention to all who loves Evgeni Plushenko!!!

This is Edvin Marton, as a friend of Evgeni I know how important to him to feel your love. 10 years I'm the performer and music composer of his amazing programs. Let us make together a special incredible video from his fans for his Olympic program created by me- Best of Plushenko. Send me your favorite photos or videos of Evgeni (or a picture taken from you together) to create a unique video that will give him the energy to skate like never in his life!!!!

Please send the images or videos to this e-mail address: [email protected]!

See you in Sochi!!!!

Dima Bilan and Edvin Marton composed Olympic anthem in honor of Evgeni Plushenko "I can" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1epYsXRkbno

http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/through-years-olympic-figure-skater-yevgeny-plushenko

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Dear Whitebamboo!

You are so smart! I have an idea. Can you make a summary of the actions of Tarasova? What did she say, what did she do in this matter who gets the Ruusian Olympics's spot? Since last summer ..This is a really disgusting game..

whitebamboo

On the Ice
Dear Whitebamboo!

You are so smart! I have an idea. Can you make a summary of the actions of Tarasova? What did she say, what did she do in this matter who gets the Ruusian Olympics's spot? Since last summer ..This is a really disgusting game..

Why thank you for saying this, dear plushyfan! I am blushing :eek::

But to be honest, I am not Russian, so I don't know if I'm really able to figure out everything that Tarasova has said and done during this past year...In the link above (post #603 on this page), I summarized some things, and my lists of citations included a few interviews by Tarasova. Briefly, I think there has been enough information to support fairly well the case that Tarasova (along with certain FFKKR officials) were the ones behind this plan of playing the rules by somehow getting Plushy to withdraw after the team competition and having Kovtun skating the individual event. Any resulting blame or reputation damage would fall on Plushy's shoulders, because he would be the one to withdraw "due to injury". Not knowing the truth about the rule clarification the FFKKR obtained, Plushy was briefly (for a few hours after the Russian Nationals LP) entrapped by this scheme, but as soon as he learned the truth, he made it clear that he would not be a party to their plan.

In particular, there was one interview by her from way back in Oct. 5, where for most of the interview she said (paraphrased) that "of course Plushenko should go as long as his health allows, there should be no question about it", but at the end of the interview, she said "well, maybe Kovtun will be able to skate either the team or the individual event". She could not have said both of these things at the same time, of course, without having something in mind. (I mentioned this in my other post in the most recent thread about Plushy in the Edge subforum.)

Another thing I mentioned in my lists was an interview of Tarasova's from a little while before the Euros, when she said (again, paraphrased), that since Kovtun won RN, he must be the one to go to Sochi (despite the fact that the official FFKKR position has always been very clear that the RN is not the only selection criterion) and that she "had nothing to say about Plushenko's statement, two weeks later, that he would possibly participate in the Olympics". This suggests that Plushenko had previous given up on going to the Olympics, and that he changed his mind two weeks later, which was of course completely false, and to be honest, I have a hard time believing that she didn't know it was completely false.

At the end of the Euros, Tarasova turned around and stated that "Plushenko should go to the Olympics" and that she herself "does not need a test skate for him to prove it". This was before the test skate, and as if the things she previously said never happened at all. This is pretty much her position for now.

I know these are only a few links, there are more, but to be honest, I am not sure if I want to worry about her too much anymore right now...As long she keeps up, on the surface, what she is saying now, and hopefully does not try anything before or during the Olympics. There has been a lot of misrepresentations of the situation in the media, and we can always try to explain--but only to people who are open to explanations. Some people will simply insist on attacking Evgeni no matter what.

Perhaps one day, Evgeni, or someone close to him, will be able to tell his side of the story. But for now, what is important is for Evgeni to possess good condition, to skate well at Sochi, and to fulfill his dreams!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Congrats Plushy! I can't wait your LP tomorrow!

NYT- Skating at Home, Plushenko Has Already Won

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/07/s...id-to-win-figure-skating-team-event.html?_r=1

Dick Button ‏@PushDicksButton 7h

Re: Plushenko. In my book, #PushDicksButton, I explain I only criticize skaters I think are really talented. (1/2) #Sochi2014

Dick Button ‏@PushDicksButton 6h

Plushenko has theater in his blood. That's why we watch and comment on him. (2/2) #PushDicksButton #Sochi2014 #figureskate

whitebamboo

On the Ice
LOL, yes, I've seen some grudging praises from Western commentators these days...:biggrin: Well, it's important to focus on the LP now....I am continuing to pray!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Congratulations Evgeni Plushenko!!

Many many congrats to Evgeni and Team Russia for winning the very first team event's OGM! And on their home turf! :hb: With his exciting skates for two nights there, not only the arena but Evgeni rocked the whole world ! :rock:

Wasn't seniorita in the arena, among that wonderful audience during the team event, was she? Or, not yet? If she was there already, must have been SOOooo thrilled to see it live, I would imagine! Very happy for her. :yes: