Evgeni Plushenko | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

gmyers

Record Breaker
That's true. He won Russian nationals in 2011 for 2012 but it was not a great win an maybe a warmup will be good.

Plushy is listed on the entry for NRW trophy in a month. Artur and Liza are going with him!

Btw, thanks for all the updates, plushyfan! Really enjoying them:)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushy is listed on the entry for NRW trophy in a month. Artur and Liza are going with him!

Btw, thanks for all the updates, plushyfan! Really enjoying them:)

Yes, i know, but he is not officially confirmed yet on his official site. His fans wait for his team's decision ;)

Yes, i know, but he is not officially confirmed yet on his official site. His fans wait for his team's decision ;)

Oh, confirmation is in order, right. If he were to compete in Worlds or Euros, he'll need minimum TES to qualify, so I guess whether he's competing at NRW trophy would be the barometer for his comeback for "this" season.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Oh, confirmation is in order, right. If he were to compete in Worlds or Euros, he'll need minimum TES to qualify, so I guess whether he's competing at NRW trophy would be the barometer for his comeback for "this" season.
I think he will compete. But he has the minimum scores from the last season..I'm wrong?

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
(Plushenko's performance in Dortmund depends on his health - Mishin)
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20121114/630603049.html

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20121114/177453096.html

Plushenko Likely to Skate in Germany

MOSCOW, November 14 (R-Sport) - Health permitting, Evgeni Plushenko's first competitive skate of the season will be at the NRW Trophy in Germany next month, his coach told R-Sport on Wednesday.

The 30-year-old Olympic champion was expected to compete first at the Russian championships starting December 24, but has now added the December 5 event in Dortmund to his schedule.

"Evgeni will have one international event before the Russian championships, we've settled on Dortmund," Alexei Mishin told R-Sport.

Plushenko's participation in the second-tier event will depend on how he recovers from a medical procedure he recently underwent in Germany, Mishin said without elaborating.

"So whether he'll take part will hang on the doctors' recommendations," Mishin said.

Plushenko is returning to competition after a knee operation in the wake of the European championships in January, where he won the gold medal.

His action this season has so far been limited to the team-based Japan Open last month, won by local star Daisuke Takahashi, and his own 30th birthday party, where he skated despite a slight fever.

The NRW Trophy, held since 2007, clashes with the Grand Prix final in Sochi, which is December 6-9.

-----------------

I translated one more paragraph from russian article....

Question of Plushenko's participation at the NRW Trophy tournament will be decided at the beginning of next week, said the expert.

"On the following Monday, we planned the next training, during it, this issue will be resolved, "- concluded Mishin.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
a post on Plushy's website:
"I'm in Dortmund and I can tell you the truth about the ice rink. I visited the NRW Trophy since it started in 2007. Until 2009 it was free to visit, then the first time they have made ticket prices but just 5 Euro a day, which I think is very fair. Actually, there were so far just very few real visitors, the 3 rows were mostly filled by skaters, coaches, friends and parents.

NOW just two Olympic Champions are on the entry list and everything changed and went crazy. I AM NOT going there just for these two but all of them. I like them all the same. I just got an ticket by very lucky circumstances. Because I never bothered about it, because NO ONE was really interested to watch it!

There are just about 150-200 seats, I never counted but there isn't more. This competition was never made for the big stars and large audience. It is the practice rink used for Worlds 2004. Besides this rink is another Eishockey rink, that is much larger, there can be about 5000 spectators. But it is impossible to move the competition to the other rink, because it is an ugly icehockey rink, that is open at the sides, so very cold.

So you should be able to see at least the practices, but I don't know how they organise it.

AND btw, this is a very small venue, so you can meet the skaters anytime anywhere, so it might be worth going there anyway ;)"

Thanks for the translation of the article and the quote from the Plushy's website!

Next week, we'll know for sure.:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I've been checking back in GS archives for interviews with Fan Fest Favs, and yes, we have two with Evgeni!

Plushenko-Back to the Future
http://www.goldenskate.com/2009/06/evgeni-plushenko-back-to-the-future/

Return of the King
http://www.goldenskate.com/2009/10/evgeni-plushenko-return-of-the-king/

Our first article mentioning Evgeni was 2001 Good Will Games, when he was already World Champion. In other words, he's been in skating longer than GS has been doing articles ;)

Thank you Doris! I have not read it before..