Evgeni Plushenko | Page 44 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
OMG, is that breakfast in a pool? At first I was confused about where his feet went and then...

I hope this doesn't mean he plans to punch a hole in the ice for his next program. I'm pretty sure that's illegal and deductable (and dangerous).

If the new program has anything to do with sunlight, water, or food, we'll know where it came from. :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, tropical program makes me think it'll be lighthearted, with a colourful outfit. Like a return to pre-2002 Plush. I don't think he's done a lighthearted program since Yagudin + old guard (Stojko, Eldredge... oh gosh, he used to compete against them) retired. It might seem kinda weird to go back to it at 31, but what the heck, maybe he should do a total 180 from all recent programs to show he's not out of ideas just yet.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The caption of this photo has got me bewitched, bothered and bewildered :p

http://instagram.com/p/n4z13omy2B/

"While having breakfast I thought about new programs for the new competitive seasons! #maldives"

I'm sure he was joking..he has a weird humour sometimes :D

tropical theme?? LOL! I know you don't like his Pasadena program because of the costume but he was so cute and sparkling in it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqUBlz5a89s in Bratislava aftre his second European champion title 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_gIt3fUv3Y and in GPF Japan 2000/01. Look at the Japanese grils they went crazy for him.. :p But he was really beautiful on ice:love:...And it seems that was an endless love..

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm sure he was joking..he has a weird humour sometimes :D

tropical theme?? LOL! I know you don't like his Pasadena program because of the costume but he was so cute and sparkling in it!!

I did say that...wait, are you taking notes?? :laugh: Just kidding. I watched the videos and I admit, the program itself is not bad. It's fun, Plushy sells it and I do like to see him in bright colors. I think it's just the big baggy shirt and ugly print that bothers me...I like it best when we can see his physique (the real one, not the muscle suit ;) ).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I like it best when we can see his physique (the real one, not the muscle suit ;) ).
:rofl:

I'm neutral on Pasadena. He's had better exhibitions but this one's still good. Also, proof that he (at the time) a) had the best 3A in the business b) was the most flexible man in figure skating. ;) But... Pasadena would get him a prop violation. Though no more lyrics violation--well, we're halfway there to turning this into a competitive program! Just wait a season for the ISU to goof up even more and we'll be able to have Plushy competing with Sex Bomb, while Patrick and Yuna run for ISU presidency (see: Crazy Predictions thread).

Honestly, I'd love to see him in bright colours with a fun program. If Mishin wants to show "The New Plushenko" and win over some more people, that might take something radical. The "fun program" will need to be well done though, or else it'll seem cheesy or silly at his age.

I'm still astonished we're discussing potential competitive programs. To put it into perspective: If Plushy returns and Patrick Chan never does, Chan will have retired before Plushy. :eek: And that's with Chan sticking around 'til 23--older than Yagudin or Kulik. And there's that video of one of Plush's old competitions, where Miki Ando is a flower girl. Now she's retired and he's still here?!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I did say that...wait, are you taking notes?? :laugh: Just kidding. I watched the videos and I admit, the program itself is not bad. It's fun, Plushy sells it and I do like to see him in bright colors. I think it's just the big baggy shirt and ugly print that bothers me...I like it best when we can see his physique (the real one, not the muscle suit ;) ).

:rofl: Yes. look at this https://twitter.com/MriaSzalai/status/450860046243467264/photo/1 Plushy is perfect...Joubert is a handsome man but..

I didn't note but I have a great memory if anybody is talking about Plushy ;)

I'm neutral on Pasadena. He's had better exhibitions but this one's still good. Also, proof that he (at the time) a) had the best 3A in the business b) was the most flexible man in figure skating. ;) But... Pasadena would get him a prop violation. Though no more lyrics violation--well, we're halfway there to turning this into a competitive program! Just wait a season for the ISU to goof up even more and we'll be able to have Plushy competing with Sex Bomb, while Patrick and Yuna run for ISU presidency (see: Crazy Predictions thread).

Honestly, I'd love to see him in bright colours with a fun program. If Mishin wants to show "The New Plushenko" and win over some more people, that might take something radical. The "fun program" will need to be well done though, or else it'll seem cheesy or silly at his age.

I'm still astonished we're discussing potential competitive programs. To put it into perspective: If Plushy returns and Patrick Chan never does, Chan will have retired before Plushy. And that's with Chan sticking around 'til 23--older than Yagudin or Kulik. And there's that video of one of Plush's old competitions, where Miki Ando is a flower girl. Now she's retired and he's still here?!

Have you ever seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h48RKKAFwI Plushy and "Domo Kun". The little Miki really liked the situation..

Enero

On the Ice
Well, tropical program makes me think it'll be lighthearted, with a colourful outfit. Like a return to pre-2002 Plush. I don't think he's done a lighthearted program since Yagudin + old guard (Stojko, Eldredge... oh gosh, he used to compete against them) retired. It might seem kinda weird to go back to it at 31, but what the heck, maybe he should do a total 180 from all recent programs to show he's not out of ideas just yet.

I think he did Only You after the old guard retired. Also, I think he continued, occasionally, to perform Sex Bomb well after 2001 when he debut it.

It would be interesting to see him do another playful program. It has been a while. I don't think he'll have any problem pulling it off, considering Kirk Browning continued to do playful/fun programs well into his 30s.

Btw, the pictures from the Maldives look breathtaking. So beautiful there and Plushy looks so relaxed and healthy. Glad he's taking it easy.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
:rofl: Yes. look at this https://twitter.com/MriaSzalai/status/450860046243467264/photo/1 Plushy is perfect...Joubert is a handsome man but..

I didn't note but I have a great memory if anybody is talking about Plushy ;)

Have you ever seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h48RKKAFwI Plushy and "Domo Kun". The little Miki really liked the situation..

Yes, I love that NHK exhibition. He was so cute (and Miki too of course!). I have to say, I've always been a sucker for the traditional Russian costumes. I wonder if he would ever put one on again? (probably not... :eek:hwell:)

I'm with you on Brian - he is quite handsome and I do like him as a skater, but he doesn't have that extra something special that Plushy has, imo. Zhenya is truly one of a kind!

LRK

Record Breaker
For playful programs - there was Mack the Knife. Though I think he performed it only once?

And... Oi! Leave my Brian out of this! He too does have something "extra"! (she said, belligerently - Note: Brian is my favourite after Plushy - but then, Plushy is my All Time Favourite, any skating discipline; no one can compete with that. :) )

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Sorry LRK! I don't dislike Brian by any means...he might not be in my top 5, but top 10, definitely. What he does, he does very well. I just feel that Plushy has shown a bit more range over the years and even if he isn't as conventionally good-looking, he has a special magnetism about him. But there is plenty of room for all kinds of skaters in my heart. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Maybe it's the fact that I was woken up multiple times throughout the night and therefore my brain isn't working, but for some reason I'm imagining a reality TV show called LEAVE BRIAN ALONE! starring LRK and her arch-nemesis Gallavich.

I hate to sound vulgar, but I think Plushyfan's photo was simply comparing them from that, er, particular angle. And I must say, better legs go to Plushy. Overall looks... Brian is more handsome by most standards, but I find him a bit "generic handsome." (I know, stupid statement coming from someone who likes "good average" Yagudin :laugh:)

I appreciate Brian the same way I appreciate Elvis Stojko: I admire their courage, determination, and sheer willpower in remaining competitive for so many years. The style isn't my cup of tea, but I wouldn't dump either of them on the "totally inartistic" bandwagon (that would be someone like Timothy Goebel, whose appeal I can't understand, while my head can understand the appeal of Elvis and Brian even if my heart doesn't get it). They may not be skaters I enjoy watching, but they've got their own style and I can see why many find them entertaining. (Now, do I get to be the arch-nemesis in the show called LEAVE TIMMY ALONE!! ?)

Okay, where were we... Plushy's programs, right! Okay, I must agree with Plushyfan. Ballet program please! My top three picks:

1. Ballet program!
2. Russian folk music
3. Something lighthearted. #2 can fall under here, of course.

Regarding "fun programs" post-2002: I was only talking about competition, not exhibitions. 'course he kept the humour for exhibitions (Only You, Assisai, redoing Sex Bomb as recently as Artistry on Ice 2010). But pre-2002, almost all his competition performances were fun ones (MJ, Carmen, Once Upon a Time in America, Dark Eyes). After 2002, they became all serious, and he started wearing black or semi-black 24/7 (Adagio, Nijinsky, St. Petersburg 300, Godfather, Roxanne, Saint-Saens). Closest thing to a fun program was Tango Amore. Now, I dunno what contributed to the change: the loss at SLC, Yagudin's retirement, Plush himself growing up? I like both the fun programs and the serious ones, but maybe it's time to bring the former back to present something fresh.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
As a good Plushenko fan I almost like every skaters. The Plushy fans have no reason to hate anyone ;)

I'm also tired of his dark costumes. In most of cases those are very good and some of them are very expensive costumes but I would like to see colorful dresses on him.

OK, we made our list:
1. ballet program
2. Russian folk music
3. something lighthearted

Plushy can you hear us???

p.s: I also don't want to be vulgar but better butt goes to Plushy, too..

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm in agreement with you guys on all of those program ideas, and here's hoping we'll get a lighter-colored costume that shows off his best assets (ahem ;))!

LRK

Record Breaker
@Sandpiper - :rofl:

Oh, my... :laugh:

Your bad sleep is our gain, Sandpiper. ;) And @ galiavich - I don't hope you mind terribly being my "arch-nemesis". ;)

As for Plushy - indeed. I just finished rewatching TDK, as chance would have it, so, I suppose we could say with the Joker: "Why so serious?" ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would love to see Plushy with Russian folk music. That would bring back some memories. :popcorn: he was so cute at the time.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, seems like Plushy has left the Maldives: http://instagram.com/p/n60UaWGywZ/#

Plushyfan: Even if Plushy hears us, I wonder if he'll take the suggestions seriously? I mean, we're talking about legs and butts on the same page... Not sure if that adds to our credibility. Maybe someone should tweet the suggestions to him? No, wait, bad idea, that just raises the chances of his return to competition (if the percentage isn't already at 100).

BTW, I watched that Swan Lake montage. Really nice video. I did get a bit confused when the Tango Roxanne outfit came on--that's possibly the least Swan Lake thing he's ever worn. :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
Hey, bombard him with suggestions, so that it will make it too difficult to choose! ;)

Seriously, though, we all know him don't we? If he's determined to come back, come hell or high tide, he will... (she said, in a resigned voice)