Evgeni Plushenko | Page 65 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

LRK

Record Breaker
As I understand it, his scores from 2013-14 would qualify him for the next season only. I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

He had to get special permission from the ISU to compete at the 2012 Euros because he had been out too long. But I don't think that necessarily means they would do that for him again.

I think the Panin Memorial is held in St. Petersburg, so it would be too much temptation for him to stay away, lol.

Also, it might be a good test for him to see what his physical fitness level is at, I'd imagine - to see how he holds up in a competition scenario. Also, maybe, they'd be trying out some new programs.... I'd like that, actually. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Plush confirms he wants to go for a fifth Olympics :eek::popcorn::bow::think::clap:

http://www.olympic.ru/news/hello/evgeniy-plyuschenko-obiavil-o-vozobnovlenii-svoey-sportivnoy/

During the ceremony to mark the International Day of the sports journalist and held at the press center of "Rossiyskaya Gazeta", two-time Olympic figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko said he intends to fight for a place in the national team to perform at the XXIII Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang.

"At the Sochi Games my way sports is not yet finished - said Plushenko. - I'll try and make their fifth Olympics. Organism in all medical treatment, there is nothing to break."

At a ceremony in the "Rossiyskaya Gazeta" in awarding media representatives for prompt and highly professional coverage of the 2014 Games in Sochi attended by the head of Russian Olympic Committee Alexander Zhukov. Also separately rewarding the best athlete in figure skating, the best coach and best journalists covering the sport.

Evgeni Plushenko has been recognized as the best Russian skater season 2013/14, he received a statuette, is a figure of our first Olympic champion in figure skating Nikolai Panin, who won the "gold" in the distant 1908.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
:eek: wow I'm speechless, four years is still a lot so I'm not sure he will make it, but if he is healthy enough and it's his desire, go for it Plushy :cool:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yana posted this message on Instagram: "I am proud of my husband and his decision and let him miss this season, but he will train every day in order to fully regain his strength and health, and to realize the dream of Great coach Alexei Mishin - to make the "New Plushenko" with new "ultra c" class programs! Need to work and train every day! I want to thank everyone who supported my husband in this decision, his fans around the world and friends, as well as the Russian Olympic Committee, Ministry of Sport and Russian Figure Skating Federation! I know that he will try to do the impossible. And those people, who will write me villainy here and judge my husband with their mentality, I will immediately send to the block! Zhenya is the second in the history of men's singles who won four medals in four Olympics, repeating the result of 90 years ago - a record of Swede Gillis Grafström! Evgeni went under the surgeon's knife 13 times! And all the medals he got with blood and sweat! No one can point to him what he should do or not do in the sport - only his coach! And Alexey Nikolayevitch says that he need to try, to train and fight, and most importantly believe in himself and use his invaluable experience! Zhenya is only 31 years old and he is still young! I am very sorry that this season is passed by such great skaters like Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi, Patrick Chan! They have always been an ornament to any competitive tournament, but I hope that next season we will have an interesting fight! And this season, I will support whatever the outcome for all of our young guys, because I love figure skating, I love sports and I love it when people do the impossible and go to new developments and records!"

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yana posted this message on Instagram: "I am proud of my husband and his decision and let him miss this season, but he will train every day in order to fully regain his strength and health, and to realize the dream of Great coach Alexei Mishin - to make the "New Plushenko" with new "ultra c" class programs! Need to work and train every day! I want to thank everyone who supported my husband in this decision, his fans around the world and friends, as well as the Russian Olympic Committee, Ministry of Sport and Russian Figure Skating Federation! I know that he will try to do the impossible. And those people, who will write me villainy here and judge my husband with their mentality, I will immediately send to the block! Zhenya is the second in the history of men's singles who won four medals in four Olympics, repeating the result of 90 years ago - a record of Swede Gillis Grafström! Evgeni went under the surgeon's knife 13 times! And all the medals he got with blood and sweat! No one can point to him what he should do or not do in the sport - only his coach! And Alexey Nikolayevitch says that he need to try, to train and fight, and most importantly believe in himself and use his invaluable experience! Zhenya is only 31 years old and he is still young! I am very sorry that this season is passed by such great skaters like Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi, Patrick Chan! They have always been an ornament to any competitive tournament, but I hope that next season we will have an interesting fight! And this season, I will support whatever the outcome for all of our young guys, because I love figure skating, I love sports and I love it when people do the impossible and go to new developments and records!"
Oh what a speech! Yana! :cry: yes Plushy! Go for it! I will support Plushy no matter what!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
There is also more of interview where she talks that Plushy wants to learn new things ( new quads... :slink:). She talked about that they watched Yuzuru in latest shows practices, and he can jump three diffrent quads, and almost quad lutz. And I think if translation is good, the goal is to win with Yuzuru :biggrin: :biggrin:

I support him, and would be great If he can comeback, but I don't think his body will survive this :slink: :scowl:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What is an "ultra c" class program?

There's really no precedent for anyone jumping quads for 2 decades of their life; I can't imagine what his body is going to feel like as he approaches middle age. Yes Mishin is very knowledgeable about biomechanics, and I don't think he would purposely want to put Plushy in harm's way, but I wonder if he doesn't feel like he has something to prove as well.

Mishin: " I do not understand what all this surprising? I have a few months ago passed a detailed training plan Eugene. And then today it has become the all-Russian sensation. What surprises you? Louis Pasteur once instilled itself smallpox. Why Plushenko can not speak at the fifth Olympics? Acts of extraordinary people do not need to measure mediocre yardstick."

" I'll speak for myself as a coach. In the coming season we, as I said, the main miss starts and will engage in capacity-building. Health. Physical potential and creative. And it will take a year. And some detail as never seen before elements I never promise. I prefer to present unexpected gifts. Bad those gifts that are advertised."

aschiutza

On the Ice
OK, i am officially shocked. I was hoping that he is still as amateur to get money for the team, but this this this is......

On one side i deeply respect his love for the sport. To get over your health problemes over and over again when he could just do shows and enjoy his family life and the life of a celebrity in Russia.

On the other side i wish he could canalize his energies into show area and bring everywhere in the world the joy for figure skating. He has already everything from the amateur scene, time to search someting new...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
What is an "ultra c" class program?

I thought I'm the only one who doesn't know what is it.....

I support him, and would be great If he can comeback, but I don't think his body will survive this :slink: :scowl:

I think so

Oh what a speech! Yana! :cry: yes Plushy! Go for it! I will support Plushy no matter what!

Yes, what we can do???:biggrin:

wow I'm speechless, four years is still a lot so I'm not sure he will make it, but if he is healthy enough and it's his desire, go for it Plushy

I think so...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
What the heck? My internet breaks (well, sputters) for one day, and this happens? Oh Plushy...

To be fair, he's basically already said all this. Fifth Olympics idea ~two days after his "retirement" announcement. New quads? He's talked about wanting those too (I can't seem to find the link...). I think we discussed it on this thread, or is my memory failing...?

Only difference being he now actually seems serious. Not just trying to make Mishin $$$. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise either. I mean, nobody believed he'd be back after 2006, and he came back. Nobody thought he'd be back after 2010, and he came back again (I wasn't even aware of his health problems at the time, and I still didn't believe he'd try figure skating at 31). Whenever Evgeni Plushenko says he wants to compete, he wants to compete. He doesn't fake his comebacks.

"Why" is another matter. Some ideas:

- He wants to make an unbreakable record as "oldest guy to land quad in competition"
- He wants to finally get quad lutz/loop in competition, or he wants to do his 3A-4T or 4T-4T combination
- He's miffed Joubert landed more "international quads" than him and wants to get the magical 100 :scratch:
- He wants to make history as the first singles skater to go to five Olympics (and possibly break Grafstrom's record for medals, which he could've already done if the screw hadn't snapped)
- He's pissed at being called a 6.0 skater despite winning 3 Olympic medals under COP, so he wants to prove that wrong (Ultra C Class = COP :laugh:)

---
Interview with Yana here: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/724846

She appears to explain what Ultra-C means, but Google translate butchered it so badly that I have no idea what she was trying to say.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But Brian was the first one recognized with 100 quads (LRK, help with Brian trivia here?). I think they only counted quads landed in international competition. Plushy's still 4-6 short, iirc, since he hasn't competed a full season for a long time.

Anyway, to me, nobody has landed 100 quads, because I only count "6.0 clean" quads--no two-foots/step-outs. Under that calculation, I suspect Plushy has more (I rarely remember him stepping out of a quad. He either lands it or falls. Mainly lands, thankfully).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What the heck? My internet breaks (well, sputters) for one day, and this happens? Oh Plushy...

To be fair, he's basically already said all this. Fifth Olympics idea ~two days after his "retirement" announcement. New quads? He's talked about wanting those too (I can't seem to find the link...). I think we discussed it on this thread, or is my memory failing...?

Only difference being he now actually seems serious. Not just trying to make Mishin $$$. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise either. I mean, nobody believed he'd be back after 2006, and he came back. Nobody thought he'd be back after 2010, and he came back again (I wasn't even aware of his health problems at the time, and I still didn't believe he'd try figure skating at 31). Whenever Evgeni Plushenko says he wants to compete, he wants to compete. He doesn't fake his comebacks.

"Why" is another matter. Some ideas:

- He wants to make an unbreakable record as "oldest guy to land quad in competition"
- He wants to finally get quad lutz/loop in competition, or he wants to do his 3A-4T or 4T-4T combination
- He's miffed Joubert landed more "international quads" than him and wants to get the magical 100 :scratch:
- He wants to make history as the first singles skater to go to five Olympics (and possibly break Grafstrom's record for medals, which he could've already done if the screw hadn't snapped)
- He's pissed at being called a 6.0 skater despite winning 3 Olympic medals under COP, so he wants to prove that wrong (Ultra C Class = COP :laugh:)

I would guess he'd like to break all of those records. :laugh: Probably Grafstrom's most of all. I also think he is a person that needs to have goals to work toward and once the possibility of something is in his head, he can't get rid of it. Some kind of compulsion.

Do I think he can pull it off, yes, I do. I only wonder about the long-term price. Normal people have enough aches and pains to contend with as they age. I would just hate to see him end up dependent on painkillers or in a wheelchair in his 50s or whatever. But anyway, four years is a long way off and we'll see what happens. I'll start saving up for Pyeongchang in the meantime. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
@Sandpiper - Alas and alack! I'm a bad fan and cannot live up to your confidence in me - sadly I'm not the one to go to for trivia - Brian's or anyone else's...

As to other matters...

So, am I understanding it aright that nobody here knows what the Ultra C-what's-it-program, is, then?:scratch:

And guys, just think of all the NEWS! Plushenko threads that will be created for all our's delectation and amusement in the coming four years. Maybe we should begin by starting one:

NEWS! Plushenko's Wife Promises Mystery Ultra C-Program!

or

NEWS! Plushenko Fans Worldwide Losing Sleep Over Mystery Ultra C-Program!

Or something.... :)

aschiutza

On the Ice
What is funny now is that people may believe more that he is serious about staying in competition as they did in the run for 2010 oly ....

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
@Sandpiper - Alas and alack! I'm a bad fan and cannot live up to your confidence in me - sadly I'm not the one to go to for trivia - Brian's or anyone else's...

As to other matters...

So, am I understanding it aright that nobody here knows what the Ultra C-what's-it-program, is, then?:scratch:

And guys, just think of all the NEWS! Plushenko threads that will be created for all our's delectation and amusement in the coming four years. Maybe we should begin by starting one:

NEWS! Plushenko's Wife Promises Mystery Ultra C-Program!

or

NEWS! Plushenko Fans Worldwide Losing Sleep Over Mystery Ultra C-Program!

Or something.... :)

:laugh: NEWS! Yana Rudkovskaya threatens to send haters "to the block"!

I think after 2010 and 2014, Plushy has proven that he is a man of his word who always means business...doubters do so at their own peril!

whitebamboo

On the Ice
Even though before Sochi, I never for an instant imagined such an idea, and when he suggested, for the first time, that he might try to go on, I was shocked, but at this piont, I confess that...I am actually no longer too surprised.

Of course we are all worried about his health, and we will all keep on worrying, but in the end, well, what can one say. As Papa Mishin said before, and is saying again, "extraordinary people cannot be measured by mediocre yardsticks". Maybe it is something that makes no sense by "rational" standards, maybe it is something that I for myself cannot quite understand. But one of the (numerous) things being a Plushenko fan has taught me is that there are some things, some people, that simply do not fit into that mold, and it would be wrong to judge them according to the limits of our own ideas.

So it will be into the unknown, then, once more. No one knows where it's going to lead. No one knows how far he can get. But such is the nature of all great adventures. We will see.

(P. S. In 2013, after his first spine operation, he said in an interview that maybe the chances of him making it to Sochi was 50-50. At Sochi, Yana finally told the truth: it turned out that he magnified that probability by a factor of 500. After he had the surgery, the estimated chances they came up with was one in a thousand. After Sochi, he said that the probability of him going to Pyeongchang was 1%. Being a math teacher, I'll leave it as an exercise to compute the "actual" probability...Well, maybe it has always been but a small chance, "a fool's hope", as Gandalf once said, but to be a fan is to be a fool, at times...)