Evgeni Plushenko | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

whitebamboo

On the Ice
@whitebamboo
Not sure about Mishin, but I'm sure Plushy considers figure skating one of the great creations of mankind. :biggrin: (I laugh, but it's probably true). For most people, the confusion comes from, "He already is a pioneer, what more does he want to do?!" I suspect, for Plushy, competition isn't suffering, even with the injuries (see: 2013 interview British Eurosport). I thought he might back off after how close he came to never skating again, but that ultimately got outweighed by how much he doesn't want his final Olympics to be WD.

Indeed. I actually happened to see one of Mishin's earlier quotes (from before Sochi) again last night. One of the things he said as, a comparistion, was "Why does a baby gets up from all fours and start walking?" So if I try to stretch the interpretation a bit, maybe he considers it right up there with the evolutionary development of human bipedalism :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^I hope the fact that he wants to skate forever will rein him in. Surely he knows he can keep skating long after he's stopped competing. I mean, Kurt and Elvis are still landing 'em triples. :yes: For all the talk of him being the consummate competitor, I do think Plushy is someone who enjoys skating even outside competition. This is why he never, ever stopped going to shows, whether he was "retired" or "competing" at the time. I think Gallavich means that he's serious about making an attempt at 2018, not that he's necessarily willing to throw everything away for this.

Yes - that was what I meant. I couldn't imagine him changing his mind because of simple distractions...only if the toll it takes on his health becomes too great.

plushyfan - you have some secret insider information about him? Now I'm dying to know what you mean, of course... :popcorn:

I have a question for the experts...why were Plushy and Yags sitting together in the kiss'n'cry here? :confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqlNAgbYyIk

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
To expound on what Plushyfan said: At the time, skaters completed two LPs in the GPF. After the regular SP + LP, the #1 and #2 ranked skaters skated against each other directly, with whoever winning this final skate winning the title (#3 and #4 also skated directly against each other to compete for the bronze, iirc). Since it was a direct competition, I guess they made the competitors use the same KnC for extra drama. :popcorn: That clip of Yagudin and Plushenko is a wonderful piece of history. Lol, the Japanese announcer was so excited! Wonder where they found such a guy to MC a figure skating competition?

About the 2013 interview I referenced, here it is (relevant part at 1:33): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IECQ9KoV6Pk I suspect everyone here would've already seen it, but I'll post it just in case. It's probably the interview that stuck with me most: "If you have a dream, if you have an idea of why you're doing this, it's not hard."

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Interesting about the GPF KnC...it seems like it could be anywhere from awkward to downright dangerous, depending on who you had in there. :laugh: But I guess if Plushy & Yags were able to be civil, then most anyone could manage it.

I remember that interview. Before the last surgery, before the last Olympics disappointment...history repeats itself, sort of.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh come on! It's figure skating. People are generally nice princes/princesses who don't bite or throw skates at each other. :laugh: Even Plushy and Yagudin didn't get into a wrestling match.

I think they took away the shared KnC in the 2001-02 season. I wonder if that would've been the time to come to blows...? Imo, that was a debatable decision (this one really wasn't).

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh come on! It's figure skating. People are generally nice princes/princesses who don't bite or throw skates at each other. :laugh: Even Plushy and Yagudin didn't get into a wrestling match.
For some reason I think if it's Mishin and Tarasova sitting alone together in the KnC, they could have bitten each other, though. Their students might the princes but they are the godmother and godfather! :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That raises an interesting question--have there been physical altercations in figure skating, outside of the Tonya-Nancy deal? Plenty of crashes happen on ice during practices, but I assume most of those are unintentional since you can end up injuring yourself more than the other person. I can't think of instances where skaters started fighting each other in the KnC/change rooms/something.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
That raises an interesting question--have there been physical altercations in figure skating, outside of the Tonya-Nancy deal? Plenty of crashes happen on ice during practices, but I assume most of those are unintentional since you can end up injuring yourself more than the other person. I can't think of instances where skaters started fighting each other in the KnC/change rooms/something.

At the elite level, I've never heard of anything else that compares. But I believe I read somewhere that Plushy used to get beat up by other boys at his rink when he was young...? I also read that Adrian Schultheiss would get into fights at his rink as a teen, but I think it was mostly with hockey players and not other figure skaters.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
At the elite level, I've never heard of anything else that compares. But I believe I read somewhere that Plushy used to get beat up by other boys at his rink when he was young...? I also read that Adrian Schultheiss would get into fights at his rink as a teen, but I think it was mostly with hockey players and not other figure skaters.
Yes, Plushy said in his book that he used to get beat up since Mishin had too many things to worry about to properly police the younger kids. I expect there were fights behind-the-scenes at the rink, especially in Plushy's era (too many elite skaters, not enough ice, and what ice they had was pretty terrible). This kind of ugly behind-the-scenes fighting is probably in every sport (there was a rumour that the American women's hockey team had a Canadian flag they'd trample in their change room). Not saying it's okay, of course.

I'm wondering more about public fights before/after performances, like the skating equivalent of the Luis Suarez biting incident. But since skating isn't a contact sport, the best we've got is Meoima announcing her intentions to bite every cute kid in the sport (Pitkeev, Shoma Uno, young Plushy...). :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm wondering more about public fights before/after performances, like the skating equivalent of the Luis Suarez biting incident. But since skating isn't a contact sport, the best we've got is Meoima announcing her intentions to bite every cute kid in the sport (Pitkeev, Shoma Uno, young Plushy...). :laugh:
I wanna bite Sasha (Plushy's youngest so ) the most you know. Look at that cheek! :love: I blame Yana for her instagram. Such a cutie! I wanna bite him! :bang:

....But I am not a fan of Twightlight, for the record. :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm one of those few, heartless people who doesn't find babies cute. Just the thought of them gives me a headache, lol. However, those times when Plushy is cuddling a cat? :love: Wish I had the focus to raise a pet... er, not to bite though. Too much hair.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm one of those few, heartless people who doesn't find babies cute. Just the thought of them gives me a headache, lol. However, those times when Plushy is cuddling a cat? :love: Wish I had the focus to raise a pet... er, not to bite though. Too much hair.
I have 5 cats at home, and mostly they bite me, not the other way around. :biggrin: Plushy loves animals a lot, and it looks like his son, too. His 2 puppies are so fluffy and well-trained. I wonder if Plushy ever want to teach his pets to skate? :laugh:

mich2

Match Penalty
I have 5 cats at home, and mostly they bite me, not the other way around. :biggrin: Plushy loves animals a lot, and it looks like his son, too. His 2 puppies are so fluffy and well-trained. I wonder if Plushy ever want to teach his pets to skate? :laugh:
Those two puppies look like bears! I feel scared for Sasha.;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm not really a baby person either, but Sasha looks so much like his dad that I can't help but think he's cute. I do feel a little weird following a baby on Instagram. But sometimes his papa's in the photos...:slink:

Can't think of any other physical altercations between skaters...maybe the aggressive types are more naturally drawn to hockey. :confused: Is it bad if I kind of wish Johnny's altercation with his husband had actually been with Evan Lysacek?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I didn't have much luck raising pets as a kid, so I decided, as an adult, that pets deserve better than me as an owner. I'm one of those, "Oh, cute little novelty... oh crap, I forgot to feed you for three days!" people.

Lol, Plushy's pets will need custom-made skates! But four legs are better than two for balance. ;) If anyone is obsessive/crazy enough to teach their pets to skate (and has enough money for the custom skates), it'll be Plushy.

Too bad he says he wants his children to learn other sports, and not do figure skating. :disapp: We could've ended up with more cute kids to bite--er, I mean, fawn over.

Is it bad if I kind of wish Johnny's altercation with his husband had actually been with Evan Lysacek?
*chokes*

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I have cat and dog I simply adore them and the babies are cute for me. ;) Sasha is so cute and I think he is really a "positive" baby very calm and smart boy.

Plushenkonews showed these links. Japan Open 1999. Many great skaters!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZymzTMjRg short programs in all disciplines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNqR_u_ao6g long programs in all discilpines

I think this was Plushy's first victory over Yagudin in international competition. He was only 16 and Yagudin was one time world champion!!!

And I liked this “Tosca Fairytale”-inspired by Plushenko and Edvin Marton’s amazing partnership http://dreamypoproyalty.wordpress.c...ytale-my-first-attempt-at-plushenko-fanfictio

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^^^ I only watched Plushy's skate, but I was shocked when they said he grew 4 inches and gained 22 pounds in one year. I knew he went through a growth spurt, but it's amazing that he could also put on that much weight and not have his jumps suffer (based on the comments I read on skating forums all the time, that is...or do they only apply to ladies :rolleye:). I wonder if he would have been able to adapt as well with any coach other than Mishin.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
^^^ I only watched Plushy's skate, but I was shocked when they said he grew 4 inches and gained 22 pounds in one year. I knew he went through a growth spurt, but it's amazing that he could also put on that much weight and not have his jumps suffer (based on the comments I read on skating forums all the time, that is...or do they only apply to ladies :rolleye:). I wonder if he would have been able to adapt as well with any coach other than Mishin.

he went through a growth spurt, and he was a miracle. That is problem for the boys not only for the girls. But the weight distribution is better than for the girls. Probably he had very good jump technic and he could survive without any downturn and uneasiness.