Kiira KORPI FIN
Mao ASADA JPN
Sofia BIRYUKOVA RUS
Julia LIPNITSKAIA RUS
Joshi HELGESSON SWE
Mirai NAGASU USA

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Ya, Mao and Julia will definitely be on the podium. Kiira has a good chance, but I keep an eye on Zijun Li.

mary01

Final Flight
Julia has gold if she shows the same consistency. I expected either Nagasu or Korpi to get silver, followed by Mao for bronze.

haha only if the world becomes upside down, and a miracle from the heavens falls down, would this podium be realised :laugh:

IleK

On the Ice
haha only if the world becomes upside down, and a miracle from the heavens falls down, would this podium be realised :laugh:

Why do you say that? It is very possible. But I dont want Julia to win, even tough after seeing her in Finlandia she will probably do. I would like Mao or Kiira in first. But Kiira is inconsistent and Mao I still have to see her in competition. But after Japan Open she looks like she is in a better shape than last year. And her long program is very beautiful. I keep my fingers crossed for Kiira to make the podium.

bluesky85

On the Ice
My very vague predictions

I feel that Julia will get gold, seeing how she was so loved by the judges in Finlandia with her consistency and hyper-flexibility. I would actually like Mao to win, but she is likely to get silver, if she makes a few mistakes. I would guess Kiira or Mirai for bronze. But the ice is slippery and Sofia, Zijun, Amelie could pull out two solid performances and snatch a medal.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Julia is a brilliant skater - my prediction is that she'll get the gold here.
2 - Kiira
3 - Mao
Nagasu will be 4 or smth like that...

samson

Medalist
I guess it's hard to argue against these predictions since Julia, Kiira and Mao have posted big scoring performances so far this season. My heart wants to see Mirai on that top step.

I'm hoping Finlandia got her early season jitters out of her and she can give a real on-two punch out there. Her programs are SO much better than last season and she seems to be really fighting for it this year.

I think Mao has the most likely hood of winning the free skate if she delivers like she did at Japan Open. This early into the season though I think we're looking at a case of who can stay on their feet the most and if we look at history than things seem to be in favor of Julia winning.

I have to say, this is the third grand prix in the row where it really feels like there's a surprisingly deep field for the ladies. I see four different ladies with a legitimate chance at a medal here and maybe even the top spot of the podium.

Country
Russia
I think Mao has the most likely hood of winning the free skate if she delivers like she did at Japan Open.
You mean two URed triples and invalid spin like Japan Open?
I don't wish her so, because I don't hate her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Mirai might surprise folks; the russian ballerinas have been struggling with growth issues. Mao is a wild card; I am losing faith in her - too many bad skates and still no decision - go for the triple axel or all the other jumps???? Make a decision and go with it Mao. Its now Mao or you better watch out for Gao :)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
ForeverFish said:
Julia has gold if she shows the same consistency. I expected either Nagasu or Korpi to get silver, followed by Mao for bronze.
koatcue said:
Julia is a brilliant skater - my prediction is that she'll get the gold here.
2 - Kiira
3 - Mao

While I see predicting Julia for gold, I have to admit I'm pretty puzzled by people predicting Kiira over Mao.
Mao is not an early season skater and has been struggling this last two seasons - but getting beaten by Kiira? Kiira is nice and everything, but she usually bombs the FS, and she did so at Finlandia too. With nicely inflated scores she got 181, but just 111 points in the FS (at euros last year it were only 166 and 105 in the FS) - Maos FS at JO tops that easily (and pretty much all her competitions last year except for worlds). Despite two underrotated jumps, egde call + invalid spin. I'm not saying this result is impossible, but I am a little puzzled here. Of course given that I love Mao and want her to get back to her old form :)

Skater Boy said:
Mao is a wild card; I am losing faith in her - too many bad skates and still no decision - go for the triple axel or all the other jumps???? Make a decision and go with it Mao. Its now Mao or you better watch out for Gao

What kind of decision? Mao is still practicing the 3A - she probably just wants to wait to put it back in her new programms. And she wants to do all the triples. What decision is she not making? Her practices at worlds included the 3A and all the other jumps if I remember correctly - and it would make sense. It'd give her the possibilty to skate a 8-triple FS, which would put her over the rest of the field "only" able to pack 7 triples into their programms. Mao is stubborn, I doubt she'll let go of the 3A.

ForeverFish

Medalist
While I see predicting Julia for gold, I have to admit I'm pretty puzzled by people predicting Kiira over Mao.
Mao is not an early season skater and has been struggling this last two seasons - but getting beaten by Kiira? Kiira is nice and everything, but she usually bombs the FS, and she did so at Finlandia too. With nicely inflated scores she got 181, but just 111 points in the FS (at euros last year it were only 166 and 105 in the FS) - Maos FS at JO tops that easily (and pretty much all her competitions last year except for worlds). Despite two underrotated jumps, egde call + invalid spin. I'm not saying this result is impossible, but I am a little puzzled here. Of course given that I love Mao and want her to get back to her old form :)

What kind of decision? Mao is still practicing the 3A - she probably just wants to wait to put it back in her new programms. And she wants to do all the triples. What decision is she not making? Her practices at worlds included the 3A and all the other jumps if I remember correctly - and it would make sense. It'd give her the possibilty to skate a 8-triple FS, which would put her over the rest of the field "only" able to pack 7 triples into their programms. Mao is stubborn, I doubt she'll let go of the 3A.

I haven't been as impressed with Mao this past season. I feel like she's losing ground to the younger or up-and-coming skaters, like Nagasu and Korpi. And I agree that she can't abandon the 3A -- without it, she's lost her biggest advantage.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
ForeverFish said:
I haven't been as impressed with Mao this past season. I feel like she's losing ground to the younger or up-and-coming skaters, like Nagasu and Korpi. And I agree that she can't abandon the 3A -- without it, she's lost her biggest advantage.

Kiira is one year older than Mao... and I don't agree she's losing ground to Kiira or Mirai, where would those two have been that impressive? Obviously Mao lost ground to Ashley for example, but that's too because Ashley has really stepped it up. Mirai could beat Mao (without Mao making too many mistakes, I mean), but she really would need to get herself together, which I didn't see at Finlandia.

And I never said Mao needs the 3A to be competitive. Of course it gives her a huge advantage, but she wouldn't need it looking at the current ladies field. If clean, she could have 7 triples (though the lutz with an egde call), gets high PCS, has easily Lv4 spins with +GOE and step sequences now Lv4 with +GOE. That's hardly something I could see Kiira or Nagasu doing recently... the 3A isn't her biggest advantage. Her biggest advantage is her pure beautiful skating, when she gets it together.
That might change till Sochi though, with the young Russians and Yuna coming back.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Kiira is one year older than Mao... and I don't agree she's losing ground to Kiira or Mirai, where would those two have been that impressive? Obviously Mao lost ground to Ashley for example, but that's too because Ashley has really stepped it up. Mirai could beat Mao (without Mao making too many mistakes, I mean), but she really would need to get herself together, which I didn't see at Finlandia.

And I never said Mao needs the 3A to be competitive. Of course it gives her a huge advantage, but she wouldn't need it looking at the current ladies field. If clean, she could have 7 triples (though the lutz with an egde call), gets high PCS, has easily Lv4 spins with +GOE and step sequences now Lv4 with +GOE. That's hardly something I could see Kiira or Nagasu doing recently... the 3A isn't her biggest advantage. Her biggest advantage is her pure beautiful skating, when she gets it together.
That might change till Sochi though, with the young Russians and Yuna coming back.

Has Kiira ever skated a LP with more than 3 clean triple jumps?? If so how many times? lol my point exactly... it wasn't for 'Pretty Bonus' for most Finnish skater she would have never been on podium.