2012 Cup of China Short Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Short Dance

samson

Medalist
Easily in the lead. Well no real surprises here, certainly in the top three. Really glad to see that Chock and Bates seem to be improving and climbing up the ladder. I think the judges are saying they really see the team starting to break through to the next tier. It's going to keep nationals interesting for that third US spot for sure!

Dots

Final Flight
Hopefully videos are up soon, but from what I've seen in scores, Pechalat and Bourzat aren't going to get thrown under the bus after their "pity" medal at worlds.

Well they shouldn't. They are clearly the third best team around. Dangerously flirting with V/M & D/W type of scores.

auser

Record Breaker
Hopefully videos are up soon, but from what I've seen in scores, Pechalat and Bourzat aren't going to get thrown under the bus after their "pity" medal at worlds.

Ouch! Can we send you coffee or chocolate to improve your mood?

Macassar88

Medalist
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpchn2012/gpchn2012_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf
Protocols are up

Also, about my comment about pity medal - I was simply stating something that had been said many times before - that many people believed that Pechalat and Bourzat's time was up after they won the bronze in Nice. I never said that I agreed with that sentiment.

Anyway, it looks like Bobrova and Soloviev lost to Weaver and Poje because of their Polka. They had two levels lower.
Also, that livestream doesn't work for me, but thanks anyway.

Dots

Final Flight
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpchn2012/gpchn2012_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf
Protocols are up

Also, about my comment about pity medal - I was simply stating something that had been said many times before - that many people believed that Pechalat and Bourzat's time was up after they won the bronze in Nice. I never said that I agreed with that sentiment.

I bet you read that on FSU. lol P/B are likely to repeat as bronze medalist @ worlds... maybe climb a spot if one of the top two teams has problems.

Macassar88

Medalist
C&B had a decent technical base score; higher than B&S due to better YP

Yes - BS need to improve their YP levels for GPF if they make it or at least for Euros - they need to finish 2nd (or higher) to cement their Russian No. 1 status for worlds otherwise, I fear that they won't get the PCS that they need to contend for top 5.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Short Dance - Videos & Result

1 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 69.15 Short Dance
2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 65.59 Short Dance
3 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 64.32 Short Dance
4 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) - 59.26
5 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 55.57
6 Victoria SINITSINA / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN (RUS) - 55.09 Short Dance
7 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 46.76
8 Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG (CHN) - 42.97

Mao88

Record Breaker
Short Dance - Videos & Result (Updated)

1 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 69.15 Short Dance
2 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 65.59 Short Dance
3 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 64.32 Short Dance
4 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) - 59.26 Short Dance
5 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 55.57 Short Dance
6 Victoria SINITSINA / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN (RUS) - 55.09 Short Dance
7 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 46.76 Short Dance
8 Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG (CHN) - 42.97 Short Dance

Thanks to Jackie Wong for providing the links to the videos provided by the YouTube user known as "Danny Loo"

beabstress

On the Ice
I very much like the concept of P/B's SD--it is both sophisticated and fun. The only part of the dance I don't like is the Yankee Polka section, and that's because of the music. The slowed-down familiar tune is very strange to the ears; it almost sounds like something went wrong with the music machine. Overall, though, great program!

Kaitlyn's new dress is lovely. I really liked the first one--but it was almost TOO classy and simple for this kind of SD, if that makes any sense. The new one says "Sound of Music" more than the first one, and W/P's SD is still one of my favorites.

Amazing strides have been made by B/S since moving to Zhulin. Toned-down simplicity suits them very well, and it's nice to see Ekaterina less hunched over.

Macassar88

Medalist
I felt like WP should have been in third, but I'm no tech expert, and BS won the GOE and PCS part, so I won't argue. I thought that both BS and WP made good improvements since Skate America. Not the biggest fan of PB's SD, but I think they are amazing skaters.
Rooting for BS to take silver (I feel like 4 points is too big to make up unless PB fall) so they can make the GPF and beat IK there.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Just watched the top 3 teams. My initial reactions--

Pechalat/Bourzat. Not bad. I don't love the can-can theme, but I thought they carried it through well. They're in a lot better shape than at the start of last season. I'd like to see them skate a little bit closer together when they're in dance holds. That aside, however, the program looks good and will probably be great by the end of the season.

Weaver/Poje. I thought they skated well overall, and they look well trained. But this program seems too safe and conservative. Also I didn't like the music cuts. It kept changing too rapidly from one song to another. And why not end with The Lonely Goatherd?

Bobrova/Soloviev. First time I've seen them this season. I was expecting a lot better performance based on all the talk of how much they've improved. Frankly I don't see it. Yes they're better than last season, but that's not saying a lot. The posture problems are still there, they haven't gone away. I noticed Ekaterina bent over at the waist again several times, and her shoulders are so rounded--not at all what you expect from a top ice dancing lady. How she ever got to this level is a mystery to me. There is a gangly quality to this team--they're almost too tall or long-legged or something--to me, it detracts from their dancing. The lift looked labored and not smooth. I noticed the audience had a very tepid response to the program.

beabstress

On the Ice
Rooting for BS to take silver (I feel like 4 points is too big to make up unless PB fall) so they can make the GPF and beat IK there.

I think the Free Dance should be very, very interesting. I'd like to see B/S beat I/K and be the solid #1 in Russia, absolutely. But I'd also be sad if they finished ahead of W/P here, again (and this is coming from a person who was never, ever, EVER behind W/P before the end of last season). If the judging is fair and correct, though, may the better team come out ahead! The big question mark will be P/B. I love the Rolling Stones--but I did NOT love the P/B footage from the French Masters. It looked very much like an exhibition program with tacky costumes (and I can't figure out why the last cut of music is "Start Me Up," but oh well). But a lot of time has passed since that competition--P/B could have a budding masterpiece on their hands! Or a disaster! We don't know yet! That's why I'm excited to see it, and to see how it all plays out.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
My reactions:
Pechalat-Bourzat: Good program, but they looked a bit "held back", like if they didn't give all they could, but the choreography is appealing and natalie's dress... :biggrin: :sarcasm:
Weaver-Poje: I like this program, but, yes, there are too many musics in this dance... Technically a lot better than at SA, I LOVE their StSq, it suits the music perfectly! :love:
Bobrova-Soloviev: Just in third... :frown: The others were better, yes, but I love them this year so much! :biggrin: Today, Ekaterina's posture was worse than usual, especially near the end of the program, so I think it affected a bit the GOE...

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Not sure I agree with the marking. Even if P/B deserved to be first, I wouldn't have them 4+ points ahead, I didn't like the can can. My favourites were B/S, with W/P in second but I do find all the music changes annoying.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
P/B looked strong and confident. That said, the program clearly doesn't work the way it's currently constructed. It slows down almost immediately, and the Yankee Polka seems almost dirgelike due to the timing issues.

W/P were good. I have to admit I had higher hopes for this dance and this team this year. Their FD is a masterpiece but this doesn't seem to be quite clicking yet. I know it's still early, and maybe I overrated their scoring potential in general, though. Love the straight line step and I don't have any issues with the music cuts, to be honest.

B/S .... still have posture issues. Why is nobody talking about this. Yes, they've improved. Yes, they have better choreography and skills this year, and yes they were marked fairly, but you still see it in both. The ending is rather sublime, though.

As usual, CoC has terrible camera work.

re: PB and Worlds

Dots, I was someone who was instantly skeptical of P/B repeating in London. The rise of W/P and their effort, the huge hometown gifts P/B got (I'm fine with bronze, not fine with 104), their age and struggles they had... everything seemed to point to it being their peak - like Winkler/Lhose. The scoring at the WTT sorta confirmed that for me, with P/B scoring closer to C/L than to V/M (and D/W). But P/B are hungry and are very well honed at this point. It shall be interesting to see if they are overtaken by anyone (I will say Euros will tell the tale for Worlds, imo).

herios

Medalist
I bet you read that on FSU. lol QUOTE]

Macassar is right, we had also here, not only on FSU, posters championing the thought that P/B will be passed, as they got their reward, they should've retired, blah, blah, balh.
We have posters here who think they got the crystal ball and is clear, but this time around it could be smokey:p
I generally hate their theory, because it assumes ice dancing is all politicks and not real sport, the judges will just "distribute" the medals around the globe as we move along.
2012 bronze to France (Nice)
2013 - bronze to Canada (London)
2014 - Russia's turn, because we will be in Sochi.
And of course D/W and V/M will be untouchable.
Then what on the earth are they still watching this thing if everything got decided well ahead??
:confused:

Last edited: