FUSp
3Lz+2T - a bit forward on the lutz
3A-stepout+2T
3S
3Lo - fall, looked UR
3F
ChSt
CCoSp

Lots of jump mistakes, but high PCS will get him gold.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Takahashi
Score: 146.96, total 231.75 and into 2nd

Wow, did not predict that. Machida takes gold

Big upset!

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I'm sorry but even if the technical mistakes hadn't happened this programme simply doesn't do the trick for me. I believe he showed so much more last season with the music choices and choreography.

Anyway, I'm in shock that Machida won! Great for him :)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Takahashi's performance was the best of the night, but he knows he can do better. No triple-triples, and he had to tack on single toes on the mistakes he made on the quad and triple axel - just couldn't get that free leg out. Several scratchy landings and one fall. On presentation, I think he finally got that despair across at the end. I mean, this song is about a clown who is forced to laugh at his own tragedy and the unfaithfulness of his wife. Not sure that comes across until about the last footwork sequence. That said, his transitions and edgework are amazing.

evangeline

Record Breaker
What an unpredictable season for the reigning world medalists.

Chan losing Skate Canada, Hanyu losing Skate America, Takahashi losing Cup of China....oof.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Machida wins! :eek: Takahashi deserved the silver, but still 82 is too high for the PCS, I didn't like it a lot... IN and CH 8.54 and 8.32? :confused: Oh, Morozov is his coach this year! :biggrin:

Irishflip

On the Ice
I'm sorry but even if the technical mistakes hadn't happened this programme simply doesn't do the trick for me. I believe he showed so much more last season with the music choices and choreography.

Anyway, I'm in shock that Machida won! Great for him :)

Agreed he's way to good for this level of quality in terms of program choreography.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
So Machida is the first man to qualify for the GPF? Wow, I'm really happy for him!

NHK will be interisting, it's Hanyu and Takahashi both with a silver against Fernandez. Maybe we won't have the GPF line-up the majority of people (and I for example) predicted :)

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the podium :biggrin:

1 - winner - upset
2 - silver - can do much better
3 bronze - an obscure skater than never medaled before in juniors or seniors

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yes, Machida is first to qualify for the GPF, as most of the guys have not yet skated two events. Good for him, but what a letdown of an event today! I'm sure the warmup collision scared everyone and maybe led to some loss of focus. Hope Song will be okay and that Joubert will recover quickly from whatever is ailing him.

Not only have all the Worlds medalists finished second so far at their GPs - other than Hanyu's SP, their performances have not been inspiring.

the podium :biggrin:

1 - winner - upset
2 - silver - can do much better
3 bronze - an obscure skater than never medaled before in juniors or seniors
Huh? Voronov has medalled on the GP before, including in this very event three years ago. He's also finished as high as 4th at Euros and 7th at Worlds.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I will laugh SO HARD if the Japanese men that qualify for the GPF turn out to be Machida, Kozuka and Oda.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
What an unpredictable season for the reigning world medalists.

Chan losing Skate Canada, Hanyu losing Skate America, Takahashi losing Cup of China....oof.

Yeah, it makes me think that we might just have a whole new set of medalists this year. Still, it's early in the season, and Daisuke and Patrick generally falter on jumps at the beginning. Hanyu also needs to build his stamina for the free skate as always. Javier Fernandez and Takahiko Kozuka generally has better jump consistency... hopefully that follows through until Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Huh? Voronov has medalled on the GP before, including in this very event three years ago. He's also finished as high as 4th at Euros and 7th at Worlds.

I think you meant Menshov :confused:
I dont think Voronov has medaled before in a GP