Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her falls? Or her double-axel height?
I think her falls were more mental than anything else. Maybe fatigue too. Her 2a needs to stay the same IMO so that she maintains speed into her 3t after. I actually like her 2a and think she gets on and edge better than about anyone. She can score GOE for her quick set up and smooth transition out. No need to start launching that thing in my opinion.

ManLady

On the Ice
Yes, the falls were on account of nerves and fatigue. I don't yet know enough about jumps to make my own IMO but I often hear about her 2a height. a uk eurosport analyst says she has a "floaty" 2a which gives her some advantage that I didn't understand. he said this during the 2012 coc lp slowmo replay (youtube). also, what's the deal with her supposed flutz? didn't she get marks against this at worlds? i need to study jumps more so i can see what people are talking about

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She flutzes!!In case you're in the dark, when a skater takes off on a lutz it should be on the outside edge. If the skater cheats and goes off of the inside edge its a flip jump so they call it a flutz. The main difference between a lutz and a flip jump is the counter rotation going into the jump, the set-up with your feet, that sets them apart but I'm not getting into that. The good news is she seems to work on it regularly and she is getting closer it seems or at least taking off on a flat edge which can go either way. She was nailed for it in her FS at worlds. The one in her SP was clean and for some reason is the one she gets credited for regularly. She got it clean multiple times this season.

While many call her 2a wonky I prefer the term cute. It really is effective as a set up jump going into a combo. Look at Gracie and even Mao in the Worlds. Both had height, maybe too much, and couldn't land on their edge well enough to execute their combo jump after. I guess each skater has their own strengths and Yulia nails her 3t so using the 2a to set it up is pretty smart. I could gush on her all day so I'll just stop there.

ManLady

On the Ice
i see. is she actually getting any marks against her 2a height or is this just a gripe some people have?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not just gripes and because of your question I went and looked at the protocols from a few events this season and she seems to get 0 GOE with occasional +1. So it could improve but if you look at her 2a-3t-2t combo it seems to score quite well even at +1 GOE. She should probably work on it but I actually thought she was doing it much better in Japan and if she keeps getting good placement in events the judges may start giving her better GOE if they improve even slightly. I know that's kind of weird but if the judges like you....well....they like you.:cool:

Alba

Record Breaker
I think her falls were more mental than anything else. Maybe fatigue too. Her 2a needs to stay the same IMO so that she maintains speed into her 3t after. I actually like her 2a and think she gets on and edge better than about anyone. She can score GOE for her quick set up and smooth transition out. No need to start launching that thing in my opinion.

I agree, and the distance she covers it's big. I don't get all this fuss about her tech. on the 2A tbh.
Yes, it's not good tech. and she can work on that, but she does cover a lot of distance, she has speed into and after and has a good running edge. It's fluid.

She looks to be growing up

I hope some people will be happy with that, and just shut up about her "childish" look. :popcorn:

p.s. I saw Kostner and her Schindler's List performance in 2003, when she was 16 yrs old, last night on youtube.
I had completely forgot about that routine, and I was thinking I just can't believe some people have the guts to criticise Yulia's interpretation, often using Kostner at 27 yrs of age as a good example, when clearly at Yulia's edge she had zero interpretation on that same piece of music, and other for that matter.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From tomorrow, Julia takes part in the anniversary show Ilya Averbuch! Julia will tour Russia in the following cities:
Murmansk 10.03
Kondopoga 12.03
Pskov 13.03
Kaliningrad 15.03
Nizhny Novgorod 16.03
Perm 20.03
Moscow 27.03
Chelyabinsk 28.03
Hurry for tickets :)
The official website for the show: http://ice-show.ru

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
From tomorrow, Julia takes part in the anniversary show Ilya Averbuch! Julia will tour Russia in the following cities:
Murmansk 10.03
Kondopoga 12.03
Pskov 13.03
Kaliningrad 15.03
Nizhny Novgorod 16.03
Perm 20.03
Moscow 27.03
Chelyabinsk 28.03
Hurry for tickets :)
The official website for the show: http://ice-show.ru

Oh no... No Samara... Again...:cry::cry::cry:

P.S. It's April btw, not March :)

Rhodium

On the Ice
I think her falls were more mental than anything else. Maybe fatigue too.

Not entirely. She fell on Salchow at the last two competitions and she said after Worlds that she had a problem with it and nailed only a half of the jumps at the training.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You could tell she was uncomfortable with it all season. Ill put a positive spin on it and say its nice that she had such a good season in spite of it and won all those medals:love: it is a good thing to have room for improvement after a good season. Hopefully she can work the bugs out.

OTH- with her new spin in the works could she maybe replace it with that. I don't understand all the required elements for the FS but could she not simply look for points elsewhere? Is that against CoP rules to have 4 spins. Ill have to research that unless someone else knows. :think:

Meoima

Match Penalty
How long will she have to prepare for the next season? Skate America will start in October. But she seems to be busy with lots of ice shows. Normally to prepare for 2 programs, how many months do skaters have to work with choreographer and the coach?

YLFan

Match Penalty
I wonder if she will be at Skate America. Isn't it invitational. I doubt they want her to show up Gold and Wagner yet again.

Alba

Record Breaker
OTH- with her new spin in the works could she maybe replace it with that. I don't understand all the required elements for the FS but could she not simply look for points elsewhere? Is that against CoP rules to have 4 spins. Ill have to research that unless someone else knows. :think:

Yes, I think there is a limit number of spins you can do.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^thank you!!! These are great!! The Olympic one brought a tear to my eye...again!!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Which events you think Yulia is gonna chose for next season? Rostelecom + Skate Canada again? I don't want her to go to Canada, she was heavily underscored there last season with almost clean skate...

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan and France!!! She could skate Gracie under the table and still lose I think at Skate America. I want nothing to do with that hot mess!