Yulia Lipnitskaya

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
complete video of friday's press conference... but it is in russian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4YswZcMzU

Translation of the interview. My translator fails at times especially with gender but you get the overall idea.

In Moscow school № 1270 passed the open lesson with Olympic champion in figure skating coach and Julia Lipnitskaya Etery Tutberidze. Within an hour, the athlete and the coach answered pupils' questions. And then took the floor journalists who came to the school.

Tell us, please, what's the story with director Steven Spielberg, author of the film "Schindler's List"? He actually sent you a letter?

Coach: Yes, sent. Letter is our friend, but we know the content. In this letter, the director thanked Julia for what she was able to carry through the entire program of the feelings that he was trying to express in the film. Wrote that his entire big family - three sons and four daughters while riding Julia cried. And Steven Spielberg very grateful that Lipnitskaya raised this important topic in its program and that she was able to express this image - the image of the girl in the red coat, he created. The author expressed the hope that his family will be able to meet up with Julia and her mother, and spend some time together.
I think for me and Julia - this is the greatest praise. Probably equivalent to an Olympic gold medal. Hear from Steven Spielberg's gratitude for the image created on the ice - it's great.

In any program Julia try on a very serious way. But the girl is only 15 years. And in this age, many tend to fall in love. And you, Julia, first love has already happened?

Coach: case. With skating.

But there is a close friend?

Julia: a lot of friends.

Coach: And if a lot, so nothing personal.

Can you tell more about the secret of your success?

Julia: I think that today I already answered this question.

Coach: In fact, there is no secret. You just need to work. Do not feel sorry for yourself. Very often, and it is normal when a person comes to the gym tired, sore muscles ...

Julia: It's me the day before yesterday.

Coach: And here it is necessary to coach chided, forced convinced. The pupil, in turn, adjust, and work began. But if this does not work, then all day failed. And I always say, if today we did not step forward, then took a step back, because the rest of the athletes and the competition is very high, this step is done.

Julia, you said that you first thought about the Olympics in six years?

Julia: Yes, it is.

Coach: Julia and went to this Olympics for six years. When they arrived in Moscow, I was surprised by her mother's words: "You know, we get to the age of the Olympics."
Before the Olympic Games, as it seemed to me, was still quite far away. And Julia was a little girl. But just at that moment I realized how huge responsibility rests with me, because if there is such desire, they should try to embody.

Story about how Julia and her mother came from a car in Moscow Ekateriburga know probably already all. Did you know that you are going to the bride?

Coach: I got a call from Ekaterinburg Julia mom and asked, "Tell me, please, we are ready to come to Moscow, you see us?" I replied - yes, and they came.

Julia: Very cool that after three days of the trip by car to the training I "collected" triple toe loop. For the first time in his life jumped.

Coach: What surprised me. And then it turned out that it really jumped triple toe loop for the first time in my life.

Julia, you are not afraid to change your lifestyle?

Julia: Just had to decide something. I remember how we sat with his mother in an apartment, which is no longer with us, although it was my favorite. And my mom said, "Julia, all in your hands. Either we end up with figure skating, go to school. Or go to Moscow to seeing us. If you do not get there, we end. "

Coach: What they did to my mother, to be decided is not everyone. It is clear that Julia was a little girl, my mother followed. They got in the car, went to Moscow, selling an apartment in Yekaterinburg, all they had. Went virtually nowhere, not knowing anything. Went to try his hand, because it was a big goal.

And you know it was that they "burned all the bridges behind?"

Coach: I did not know. I did not know much then. But Julia's mother a very strong person. She never asked for help, did not say that they are hard. Sports School's not so long ago began to help the family. Three years, or maybe less, as they will cover the flat. And so they lived themselves. Lived very difficult, because given everything in order to achieve the goal.

Eter G., and what a man feels who decided to become a coach? After all, you are completely dependent on students. According to their desires, abilities, attitudes and so on.

Of course, I - coach until my athletes show results. Why I decided to become a coach? When finished the ride and thought I should move on, and do not seek self-pity. I just like the students, I am at the rink from 11 am to 10 pm. At the same time to try to be more mom. It is not very successful. But I am all that is. While it is certainly hard. After all, we all need every day to lace skates out on the ice and try to achieve the result that you can get today. With this I should be clearly understood that a girl or another student may be tired, not in the mood, emotionally, physically ... Any upset. I have postarastsya of today to get the most.

Your work - this self-denial?

Coach: No, my job is the same as a hobby because I love figure skating, I love my job and can not imagine not see myself in anything else. I am very grateful to my mother, who heard me in four years, took to figure skating and gave part of his life to bring me on some level and all that happened.

Julia, for the sake of the goal, you work very hard and give up a lot. And there are no moments when you want to send all away and start to live differently?

Julia: Constantly present such thoughts. This, in fact, hard. Have all the time myself perebaryvat. Especially in the last season was so.

Coach: The last season was difficult for us when Julia threw. We had long conversations with her, started again, and again she threw. Had a lot of injuries. Julia did not have time to recover, as again injury cases. And the injuries were some ridiculous. Then boots, then just sprained foot in the hall, then came off the rotation, hit his chin on the board, and now here's the scar. A lot of things happened. And, of course, that anyone could fall into despair.

Those problems behind. Now there is a medal. Julia, you know that already quit figure skating can not?

Julia: Of course I understand. When I go to the internet, I see how many people support me, it is very touching.
Now I will have the World Cup. After him all sorts of things that have been postponed. And I'm afraid that the upcoming schedule will be even harder, because the training, daily work for me a usual thing. Even if the load outrageous. And then a new face, new things, new things. This is annoying, I'm very tired of.

It is clear that at the upcoming World Championships will be more difficult to speak after napryazhennogoolimpiyskogo start. What is the goal you set for yourself now?

Julia: Of course, I want to make up for his fifth place in the individual competition at the Olympics, try not to make mistakes.

Coach: We understand that the world championship will be held in Japan. And Mao Asada, who has not developed the Olympics will probably be a lot to say goodbye. Well, where else do not forgive, at home? And Julia correctly said that the most important thing for us to just roll up their programs and see what it's worth.

Did you change something in the program?

Coach: Maybe the world championship will try to complicate the rotation. Even for me, a man accustomed to the new rotation Julia look very unusual. It's a shame that kind of rotation we obtain the same points as rivals. If, for example, put them plus three, then we should have five plus. Well, okay, we do it for the image of the program, viewers.

Julia, an Olympic medal will give you confidence in the World Cup?

Julia: None.

Olympics for you ordinary competition?

Julia: No, not ordinary. But what's the connection? It turns out that I have to go on the ice, to announce that confident in myself and say, let me immediately medal? Past achievements do not get medals.

regdude

Spectator
Translation of the interview. My translator fails at times especially with gender but you get the overall idea.

wow -- sounds like she's ready to quit skating. its especially heartbreaking to hear that she's had her eyes on sochi individuals for 6 years (if translated correctly). the pressure on her there was unprecedented, they literally made her out to be savior of russia. poor girl. hope she nails it at worlds and lets everyone know she's not just some hype.

also interesting to see how the media right away tried getting into her personal life by asking about relationships before even getting to skating.

what did you use to translate that? also, where did you find the hd vid of the above moscow show?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) While my translator app(purchased it for my iPhone) is decent, it does not translate emotions very well. Yulia is very short with people at times(especially certain reporters, this one seemed to get on her wrong side from the very first question) so I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into this interview in terms of if she's wants to quit. Let's not forget during the Olympics that Yulia herself called the VP of the Russin Federation and begged for protection from the media. They were invading her privacy and asking about her father who abandoned her before she was born. I wouldn't trust them either if I were her. I work with two Russian coaches, one a former Olympian, and I usually have them watch videos like this and shed insight into the actual mood of certain videos. Russians and especially Yulia can get moody and short and sound quite different thru translation than is intended.

2) I started a VK account a few months back and friended Yulia and her fan page which I steal a lot of video's from. Sad thing is she just removed a lot of videos so I'm having to search ru-tube (Russian YouTube) and stalk certain uploaders.
I still have a few secret ways but they are just that...secret. Ill keep posting stuff as I find them though.

This kid has my captured my imagination and respect. I can't put my fingure on it but I feel compelled to root for her and learn her story/motivations. I'm praying she lasts and can stay interested but can respect any decision she makes. One thing that seems certain...she'll do what she wants. That's just who she is. If she stays it will be exciting because she'll continue to put her all into it as we've seen over her entire career.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
This:

This kid has my captured my imagination and respect. I can't put my fingure on it but I feel compelled to root for her and learn her story/motivations. I'm praying she lasts and can stay interested but can respect any decision she makes. One thing that seems certain...she'll do what she wants. That's just who she is. If she stays it will be exciting because she'll continue to put her all into it as we've seen over her entire career.
I never knew anything about her til I saw her at Finlandia 2012, other than I knew she was junior world champion. She was impressive then, but seeing her again a year later at Finlandia 2013... her progress was amazing. I hope she can keep up that momentum!

Yulia is very short with people at times(especially certain reporters, this one seemed to get on her wrong side from the very first question)
I love this side of her personality. I don't claim to understand/know Julia, but I interpret it as showing a strong will and confidence (beyond her age), and a certain cheeky humour :-D

I saw her on a Russian chat show (youtube, sorry I don't have the link), and the host actually seemed a bit intimidated by her. She has a way of staring people right in the eye... she can do a Paddington Stare, if you know what I mean. She also speaks confidently, and as Sam mentioned, sometimes she is quite short with people. This seemed to make the host rather uncomfortable, and it looked like Julia was the one in control of the interview, rather than the host :-D

That's just my impression. But it was reinforced by seeing Sotnikova on the same show... and it was quite noticable how much more relaxed the host was with Adelina...!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://vk.com/wall-31036833_15930

Moscow News delivers the fed-ex package with Speilbergs letter of appreciation in it to Yulia at her rink. I really wish this video would continue...looks like she was about to go into full beach mode on that reporter:popcorn:

They pulled this video already!! :mad:

regdude

Spectator
This kid has my captured my imagination and respect.

absolutely. between her life story, personality, and talent, it is all very compelling.

I saw her on a Russian chat show (youtube, sorry I don't have the link), and the host actually seemed a bit intimidated by her. She has a way of staring people right in the eye... she can do a Paddington Stare, if you know what I mean. She also speaks confidently, and as Sam mentioned, sometimes she is quite short with people. This seemed to make the host rather uncomfortable, and it looked like Julia was the one in control of the interview, rather than the host :-D

in a similar vein, the following excerpt of an Associated Press article (google): "Lipnitskaia has become known for her gravitas, both on the ice and off. When President Vladimir Putin gave her a bear hug and pinched her cheek after her first Olympic performance, she gave a wry smile that made her seem less like a star-struck little girl than an elderly woman, amused by the antics of some overenthusiastic suitor. Daniela Lipnitskaia said her daughter, whom she calls "the child," hasn't mentioned the hug since." Also another article where her mother says she was afraid Yulia would lip off to the media at sochi because she "has character."

anyways all of this just underscores how bad I felt to see her so distraught after melting down during sochi individuals. like seeing a big strong tree fall.

Moscow News delivers the fed-ex package with Speilbergs letter of appreciation in it to Yulia at her rink. I really wish this video would continue...looks like she was about to go into full beach mode on that reporter:popcorn:

i don't know whether to laugh or cry at that video.

regdude

Spectator

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
fuller video... you can actually make out some of the text of the spielberg letter
Wow, actually you can make out ALL of the text...! (be sure to switch the video res to 480)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I paused it and read it too. "I have three sons and four daughters and there was not a dry eye in our house in California watching you on TV" or "You were the best discovery of the Sochi Olympics"

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yulia really has been overworked for a 15 year old and she needs time off even more than Adelina does. I hope she does well at worlds but I bet Yulia is tired physically and mentally.

Rhodium

On the Ice
Julia (and I/K) at the party with high society:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRdTbFWtlM
So many dislikes for Julia :slink:

She said in the interview later:
"It was the first and the last time (I visited such a party). It is not for sportsmen or little children. I was said that the stars would reward sportsmen. We were not said what would exactly be there. Therefore everything was unexpected. Those people were very far from sport. There were absolutely strange things, I felt uncomfortable."

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She says exactly how she feels. It's almost comical and definetely refreshing. It makes it hard not to believe her when she says she'll never go back to another event like that. Some of those people had on more make-up for one night than I think Yulia has worn in her entire lifetime!

Can't wait for her next interview...there is always the potential for brutal honesty at expense of anyone or anything :popcorn:

volk

Final Flight
She says exactly how she feels. It's almost comical and definetely refreshing. It makes it hard not to believe her when she says she'll never go back to another event like that. Some of those people had on more make-up for one night than I think Yulia has worn in her entire lifetime!

Can't wait for her next interview...there is always the potential for brutal honesty at expense of anyone or anything :popcorn:

She is consistently very blunt in every interview she gives.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

And potential too for backlash from those who cannot handle her honesty. :( Yes, Julia doesn't dissemble; she speaks her mind. And for a 15 year old, she is quite strong-minded, more so I dare say than many people older than her. The more I get to know about her, the more I like her.