Most mortifying moments for someone skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most mortifying moments for someone skating?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia Lautowa had a similar incident in 2003. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIy94L5Y0iw Go to 3:59 in the clip.

Then there was 2004 Worlds when Michelle Kwan took to the ice for her FP when some guy in a tutu and no shirt came on to the ice and delayed the start of her performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zir_Bj7Dw8E It must have been especially unnerving since she had endured a deduction in the SP for ending her program after the music was finished.

Unnerving, yes (for most people), mortifying, no. Why should she be embarrassed by a fool who breached extremely lax security. Michelle didn't get outwardly rattled at all by this incident, proving she is competitor with ice-water in her veins. I do think it affected her because she popped a triple into a double late in her program. But she still had five clean triples and some judges even placed her first.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Laetitia Hubert's LP at the Albertville Olympics, where she fell so many times wags referred to her as "The Human Zamboni." I'm sorry I don't know how to link to a You Tube clip, but you all are much smarter than me and can no doubt find it easily!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure if Hubert's performance was mortifying - maybe to her but rather just sad. Her jumps weren't the only problem she just looked rather weak and not skating the program. all these cute little falls at the end of performances arguably are NOT mortifying - the fact that they are laughingsuggests it wasn't that scarey just perhaps embarassing.. Now some of the comments Dick Button has made may have been mortifying to the world if not insulting or politicaly improper. Perhaps those skaters whose breasts fell out of their costumes may have been mortified (one wonders why skaters don't wear bras. I suppose most are more flat chested in order to skate, jump and or spin but still can't they wear proper support wear. I mean wearing spaghetti straps while doing triple jumps or bending yourself into a pretzel - sounds like one should not be too suprised if a strap breaks or soemthing falls out.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Skaters don't wear bras typically because the dress is designed with "support" built into it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Good point but if you are endowed in that area any designer knows that you need real support or duct tape. You are just a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The only elite skater who is really and truly endowed is Gedevenishvilli. Most other elite skaters aren't endowed too much. Most designers are well aware of what needs to be done to avoid a tragedy (Tonya Harding's ex designer notwithstanding.). MOST skaters with spaghetti strap style dresses actually have illusion fabric (flesh mesh) to a tank, short or full sleeve under those spaghetti straps along with lining and support. Kostner's former dress was an issue as well since the mesh fabric stretched down on her layback spin but it was resolved after a wear with some good lining (although you should REALLY wear it and practice a full array of elements in it) and Zhang's back strap snapping at SC notwithstanding.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I remember a VERY long time ago watching skating - I think it was world's because there was certainly no Grand Prix at the time - and during the pairs competition a pair doing side by side camel spins got out of sync. Their boots collided and the blades locked. I don't think there were injuries but I am sure they were mortified.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Midori ito falling out of the rink during her performance at '91 worlds.....poor girl.

The way she literally 'bounced back' to the rink as if nothing happened was just as amazing and professional. Cute reaction to the camera after.

In recent memory, I thought Patrick skated to the board was a big highlight as reigning world champion standard.
I was personally mortified for Daisuke and his blade problems during his FS at Moscow 2011. Can't believe it happened! Can't help but wonder if he hadn't had the problem, he'd do soooo much better. Though Speedy's 'interpretation' caught on camera were just as farcical and mortifying.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
As for blade problems, that brings to mind Artem Borodulin at the 2010 Olympics.

Also, it's probably embarrassing for Nobunari Oda when he finds out he messed up his jump count... AGAIN!!

Dragonlady

Final Flight
One year at the Challenge, one of the Junior Men got half-way through his long program, skated over to the boards at a random spot, and vomitted over the boards. I don't know if it was nerves or the flu, but once he finished throwing up, he continued on and finished his program.

Rod Celaya

Spectator
Laetitia Hubert's LP at the Albertville Olympics, where she fell so many times wags referred to her as "The Human Zamboni." I'm sorry I don't know how to link to a You Tube clip, but you all are much smarter than me and can no doubt find it easily!
OMG I remember that. poor thing

Johar

Medalist
One year at the Challenge, one of the Junior Men got half-way through his long program, skated over to the boards at a random spot, and vomitted over the boards. I don't know if it was nerves or the flu, but once he finished throwing up, he continued on and finished his program.

OMG!!!

Question: If someone has a bodily fluid accident, how do they clean the ice afterward?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Shovel and zam. Seen it at a local competition at the end of a program from the blue line to the door.

I remember that. Yes, that's about as mortifying as it gets. And she had done so well in the short program, and it was her home country. Really distressing to watch. The American commentators were very sympathetic.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
In the same vein, Alissa Czisny's FS at Worlds last year was so hard to watch. I felt so bad for her and I also knew that the US wouldn't get 3 Ladies spots for this year's Worlds. :cry: