Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years?

Silver1998

Rinkside
I have not had as much time to devote to watching my favorite sport over the past few years, but I found Abbott's "Muse" and "Les Mis" programs to be quite memorable. They are beautifully constructed and he delivers them with such attention to detail and strong/genuine emotional expression. Unfortunately, I'm not certain if they will be remembered as masterpieces in 20 years unless he can deliver a decently clean skate technically. His 2012 Nationals performance of "Muse" was close, but I know it could have been even better. I'm hoping he can find his confidence and allow "Les Mis" to be the brilliant showcase of his talent that it has the potential to be.

Also, I don't generally enjoy ice dancing as much as the other disciplines, but I loved D&W's "Die Fledermaus". It fit them perfectly and was a joy to watch them perform!

Silver1998

Rinkside
Thank you so much for the welcome, Mathman! I've been a casual observer of the forum for years and decided I should jump right in!

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I remember when I was a newbie figure skating fan, I would spend hours on youtube looking at videos of nearly all MK videos, T/D Bolero, Duchenay's Missing, Janet Lynn's Faun, B/S City of Lights, all because you guys kept talking about these fantastic programs. Fans of individual skaters may talk about various programs because may be among their best work ie Dice-K Klook, D/W Fleidermaus, AW Black Swan, Sawyer's Mad Hatter, S/S Pina (granted Takahashi, D/W S/S and many other skaters had what I consider their signature pieces among the previous Olympic quad anyway). But, I don't see any of these as iconic enough for us to be hyping these programs up so much that a future yet to be born figure skating fan to search for these old videos. I think the closest may end up being Black Swan. Fortunately, we still have 1 more season, hopefully enough time to give us an iconic program of this Olympic quad.

This is what I was talking about when I started the thread - iconic programs that will be mentioned on figure skating boards twenty years down the road, that will cause new fans to go look them up and see what was so great. Anything that might be listed among the all-time greats. A lot of good programs were mentioned, but not all of them do I think were so outstanding that they will be remembered that much.

I think one good test would be, if someone skates to the same music ten years from now, will you be reminded of the skater that is mentioned in this thread? Just for example, Daisuke's "Blues For Klook" - say a future top skater skates to this music in fifteen years. Will we just enjoy the new skater's program and think of it as his own, or will we be reminded of Daisuke and his interpretation of this piece? Will the new skater have something to live up to, trying to do it as well as Dai did it, or will it be all his own, Daisuke's version forgotten?

Another example could be Virtue and Moir and their version of "Carmen". Years and years in the future, when another top ice dance team (inevitably) skates to Carmen, will we be comparing the new teams version back to Virtue and Moir's? Will we say, "Oh, they did well, but you should go look up Virtue and Moir and see what they did to Carmen."?

It would take a lot for a program from this quad to be remembered among some of the all-time greats like things by Michelle Kwan, Torvill&Dean, or Janet Lynn. If there are no programs that fit the criteria, well then I guess there just aren't. Thankfully we have one more season to fix this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Already, when I hear Ashley Wagner skating to Samson & Delilah, I think that is Meryl & Charlie's music ;)

Carmen is a harder sell to totally own the music over so many great stars of the past, but Tessa & Scott have already made a strong play to own it. :clap: :clap:

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think that the memorable one's from THIS quadrennial are only:

Yu-Na Gershwin program (because of its choreo, perfection and winning),
Virtue/Moir Mahler program (same reasons)
Virtue/Moir OD, Flamenco ( rarely seen passion)
Davis/White Bollywood short dance
Davis/White Fledermaus
Virtue/Moir latin freedance (not winning but a huge surprise as an epic, innovative program)
Savchenko/Szolkowy Pina program

Slowdive

On the Ice
Arakawa's "Turandot"

Possibly my favorite performance from a female skater in the last 10 years.