Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years?

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I'm a bit surprised no one else has chimed in with Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet LP from last season. I admit I haven't been around for 20+ years, but I can't count how many times I rewatched his world's FS performance over the summer. There's just something about it that I can't exactly pinpoint, and its impact on me is what pushed me into my current level of figure skating interest. While I really liked a lot of other programs from last season (W/P's FD, Blues for Klook, Jeremy Abbott's SP) this is the one I can see myself remembering long into the future.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
V&M's Mahler was a memorable program from the last quad...but it was this quad that the OP asked about.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Exogenesis Symphony #3 (Abbott's LP from last year) will be a 20 year program for me, especially his performance from Nationals. He had the derring do to skate to music created in the last decade and it was just amazing. His transitions in and out of his elements were seemless and flowed with the music as opposed to being transitions for transitions' sake and his ChStSeq just totally nailed the mood and phrasing of the music in my opinion. Even though I am a(n) (adult) lady skater, I hold this program up as a gold standard of artistic relevance for IJS-constructed programs. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Usually what sticks in my mind are the OSPs/ODs. In the last quad, there were a lot of very memorable ODs, and the Kerrs Erin Shore was definitely one of them, as was D&W's Bollywood and Delobel & Schoenfelder's Breton Dance, and perhaps V&M's Farrucas. I think the folk dance theme brought out a lot of interesting dances, and I thoroughly enjoyed those 2 seasons of ODs. I love seeing types of dances that I haven't seen done on skates translated to the ice :love: However, this is the first year that the SD's have brought anything much to the table in the way of striking programs. Who can remember any of the 2010-2011 waltz SD's, and the Latin SD's from last season weren't very memorable either. Part of that is due to the fact that we've seen lots of waltzes over the years, and lots of Latin on Ice; they all run together.
I agree that quite a few ODs and OSPs have been memorable. I think R/K's Quickstep, a.k.a. the Finnstep, is an example of an older one. There was some good stuff with the folk ODs - in addition to your picks, I'd throw in P/B's Flamenco and F/S's OD from the Olympic season. But yes, that is indeed not in this Olympic quad, and the SD format isn't nearly as interesting.

Exogenesis Symphony #3 (Abbott's LP from last year) will be a 20 year program for me, especially his performance from Nationals. He had the derring do to skate to music created in the last decade and it was just amazing. His transitions in and out of his elements were seemless and flowed with the music as opposed to being transitions for transitions' sake and his ChStSeq just totally nailed the mood and phrasing of the music in my opinion. Even though I am a(n) (adult) lady skater, I hold this program up as a gold standard of artistic relevance for IJS-constructed programs. :)
For me, the Kerrs' programs to this music were far more memorable than Jeremy's (Doris - that was their 2010-11 FD). It helped that they could use the original with the lyrics rather than resorting to muzakking. I also felt it worked better in general as a dance program, and by the time Jeremy was skating to it, it didn't feel as fresh.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Blues for Klook. It immediately came to mind when I saw this question. No other program in this quadrennium has been, to me, so memorable and such a signature piece for the skater. Pina comes close, though. And Exogenesis. D/W's Die Fledermaus. Abbott's Sing Sing Sing SP was really great too.

Other distinctive programs I'll remember from this quad (though not sure if they'll stand the 20-year test): Mao's Liebestraum, Akiko's Fiddler on the Roof, Alissa's Winter LP, S/S's Pink Panther, V/M's Latin SD, Takahashi's 2011 Latin SD, Weaver/Poje's Je Suis Malade, Yankowskas/Coughlin's Ave Maria.

For me it's too soon to decide which of this season's programs will make the list.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Blues for Klook. It immediately came to mind when I saw this question. No other program in this quadrennium has been, to me, so memorable and such a signature piece for the skater. Pina comes close, though. And Exogenesis. D/W's Die Fledermaus. Abbott's Sing Sing Sing SP was really great too.

Other distinctive programs I'll remember from this quad (though not sure if they'll stand the 20-year test): Mao's Liebestraum, Akiko's Fiddler on the Roof, Alissa's Winter LP, S/S's Pink Panther, V/M's Latin SD, Takahashi's 2011 Latin SD, Weaver/Poje's Je Suis Malade, Yankowskas/Coughlin's Ave Maria.

For me it's too soon to decide which of this season's programs will make the list.
Yes, I think Asada's Liebestraume will be remembered as the program that meant Mao's breakdown, she performed it disastrously so many times (but there were fantastic performances of it, too, like 4CC and NHK!) :cry:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
FSGMT said:
Yes, I think Asada's Liebestraume will be remembered as the program that meant Mao's breakdown, she performed it disastrously so many times (but there were fantastic performances of it, too, like 4CC and NHK!)

Maybe Mao can make her Swan Lake LP the one remembered as her rebirth then ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For me, the Kerrs' programs to this music were far more memorable than Jeremy's (Doris - that was their 2010-11 FD). It helped that they could use the original with the lyrics rather than resorting to muzakking. I also felt it worked better in general as a dance program, and by the time Jeremy was skating to it, it didn't feel as fresh.

I always think of that FD of theirs as Muse Part 2-and it's Muse part 1 that I remember, especially since they didn't go to Worlds, and Europeans is never televised here; I have to watch it on youtube.

Christine

Spectator
I loved the Bollywood theme of Davis and White (with which they were second eventually at the last Olympics), Caro's lovely FP last year while I also enjoyed Takahashi's from last year. The overall winner is still Yagudin's Winter SP in 2002 though, and I also loved Alexander Abt's SP in the same year. But these last two are already too old for this particular thread. Even the Bollywood theme is probably (although does the WC 2006 already count for the new quadrennial?).

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Maybe Mao can make her Swan Lake LP the one remembered as her rebirth then ;)

I like this program, but I wish she had used a different cut. Basically, it's an extended version of Baiul's SP, with the same cuts. I'm glad she didn't do the tragic route, but I think she could've used a different cut, whilst avoiding the tragic ending.

I remember last year, people were saying that Asada would make a wonderful white swan, and Kim would make a wonderful black swan. It looks like we got half of our wish!

mary01

Final Flight
I like this program, but I wish she had used a different cut. Basically, it's an extended version of Baiul's SP, with the same cuts. I'm glad she didn't do the tragic route, but I think she could've used a different cut, whilst avoiding the tragic ending.

I remember last year, people were saying that Asada would make a wonderful white swan, and Kim would make a wonderful black swan. It looks like we got half of our wish!

I got my whole wish, i wanted Mao to give a uniq Swan Lake and i got it, and i'm totally in love with it!

Reginald

Match Penalty

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
To me, it seems that there is far too much enthusiasm for most of the programs we have seen in the past three seasons. I have watched skating in detail since 1967, and in regard to what programs will be added to my memories of skating that last 20+ years, I can only include two from the past three seasons. These two are memorable for me because they are choreographic masterpieces coupled with wonderful music and good performances.

1. Kostner's Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun,
2. Moskvina's Clare de Lune for Kavaguti/Smirnoff.

To me, no other pieces of moving art have been created that would warrant remembering them 20 years later. For example, who can forget Lyra Angelica? Peggy Flemming's 1967 program? Janet Lynn's Afternoon of a Faun? The Protopopov's Moonlight Sonata? T/D Bolero? Bezic's SP for Boitano? These programs were art, and that is why we remember them. The two programs above can join this group. I can't think of any other programs, including those of Dai and Chan, YuNa and Asada, S/S, D/W or V/M that should be remembered like these classics.

But, time will tell.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
To me, it seems that there is far too much enthusiasm for most of the programs we have seen in the past three seasons. I have watched skating in detail since 1967, and in regard to what programs will be added to my memories of skating that last 20+ years, I can only include two from the past three seasons. These two are memorable for me because they are choreographic masterpieces coupled with wonderful music and good performances.

1. Kostner's Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun,
2. Moskvina's Clare de Lune for Kavaguti/Smirnoff.
1. I like her Shostakovich SP more because of the insane difficulty of skating to that music. Kostner has had quite a few excellent programs; I also have a soft spot for her Canon in D, Riders on the Storm and Dumky Trio, though these are all older, of course.
2. That is an underrated program from a currently underrated pair. They are vastly more enjoyable than V/T, who are wasting their talent on horrible programs that won't be remembered 20 minutes from now, let alone 20 years.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The ending is the same as Baiul's but Oksana's didn't use the familiar part that is at the beginning of Mao's program. I do like both the cuts and the program. I do not think that Mao brings half of what Oksana brought to her program in terms of artistic impact. I also think Sasha Cohen's Swan Lake is going to be more remembered than Mao's.