Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

ice coverage

Record Breaker
BTW, I have been wondering whether Virtue/Moir's Carmen costumes inspired Max Aaron's. Max's seems like a mash-up of theirs. :yay:.
The top half of Max's costume reminds me of Virtue's original dress -- both have V-necks highlighted with what look like sheer insets around them. And an angular sheer insert appears to be on Max's back, not unlike the horizontal one that was on Moir's.

ETA:
Just want to be clear: I think it's great that Max appears to have had an appreciative eye for a couple of details of V/M's costumes, which seeped into the creative alchemy of coming up with the design of his own. Definitely not suggesting any misappropriation by Max. Love that my three favorite skaters all have Carmen in common. :)

ETA, the black V-neck look is nothing new for Max, per this photo from 2012 US Nationals:

Thanks for all the links! I'm especially pleased that Susanna Rahkamo gave Tessa and Scott such a wonderful compliment. I'm also pleased that the ice dancing powers-that-be have commemorated Rahkamo/Kokko's contributions to ice dancing by making their step a part of the repertoire.

Tessa can be such a chameleon in front of the camera. She's always beautiful, but she can look like almost a different person depending on the lighting, the styling, and the pose. It's fascinating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tessa and Scott have four new sponsors: Pantene, Covergirl, Olay and Crest. http://www.nationalpost.com/markets...an+Olympic+Paralympic+Team/9041956/story.html

Also a new video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCY4D6J-6WE Tessa, Scott and their Moms talk about their journey to 2010 Olympics.

Healthy Virtue and Moir eager to defend Olympic gold medal http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...to-defend-olympic-gold-medal/article14899953/

Thx very much for all the updates, marikat. :)

The Procter & Gamble video is terrific. Love the tributes from P&G and its athletes to mothers like Mrs. Moir and Mrs. Virtue.
And in case anyone else is wondering, the four brands above all are under the Procter & Gamble umbrella. (Pls don't get me wrong: not diminishing the visibility that Virtue/Moir will get from four major brands, each with its own marketing.)

Thx to Doris too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cute video from Canadian Olympic Team:

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir's Secret to Success
Published on Oct 26, 2013
Olympic Ice Dance champions, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were Canada's favourite duo during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. In their 30 Seconds to Greatness video, Moir narrows in on Virtue's secret to success.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2DM2Ld83eg (0:44 in length)​

Same vid is embedded at link below, with a gallery of previously published photos:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I love this new program! It's wonderful to see Scott and Tessa skating in their true form. I thought they handled last season's Carmen program well, but it was not really their style. I had tears in my eyes when they took their final bows. Love their music, choreography and costumes. It's a great program for them to end their competitive careers on - as they hinted.

:points:

lcd

Match Penalty
I love their FS but surprised/disappointed to see +3 awarded for an obviously flawed lift at the end. Meaningless (just about) from a points perspective but still. The GOE in general at this event seemed at tad inflated, not just for V/M

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A nice little surprise this morning on NBC:
Quite a few seconds of Virtue/Moir's Mahler FD in Vancouver were seen on the Today show. :yes:
The airing was unintentional, I believe. Davis/White were making a live appearance shortly after 8:30 am, and as they were being introduced, the Vancouver b-roll of V/M was shown -- with none of D/W :eek:hwell:. Maybe the glitch will be fixed for the west coast version of Today.
(I do not mean to sound disrespectful to Davis/White, who were their usual likable selves and performed some of their My Fair Lady SD. :) It is understandable that they show up on American television more often than V/M. BTW, hats off to NBC for airing V/M's FD at Skate Canada International on its Sunday broadcast.)

ETA, this tweet apparently has a link to the Today show video with the erroneous V/M footage (I have not clicked on the vid link to double-check):

ETA, yes, NBC's confusion over V/M and D/W is immortalized here:

ETA:
This tweet also had made note of mentioned the original glitch.
But at the link above, the erroneous footage of V/M has been replaced by still photos of D/W celebrating their silver in Vancouver and performing this season's programs. (Noticed this better-late-than-never revision as I rewatched the Today segment on Nov 16.)

SGrand

Final Flight
A nice little surprise this morning on NBC:
Quite a few seconds of Virtue/Moir's Mahler FD in Vancouver were seen on the Today show. :yes:
The airing was unintentional, I believe. Davis/White were making a live appearance shortly after 8:30 am, and as they were being introduced, the Vancouver b-roll of V/M was shown -- with none of D/W :eek:hwell:. Maybe the glitch will be fixed for the west coast version of Today.
(I do not mean to sound disrespectful to Davis/White, who were their usual likable selves and performed some of their My Fair Lady SD. :) It is understandable that they show up on American television more often than V/M. BTW, hats off to NBC for airing V/M's FD at Skate Canada International on its Sunday broadcast.)

ETA, this tweet apparently has a link to the Today show video with the erroneous V/M footage (I have not clicked on the vid link to double-check):

That sucks for D/W, but that is hilarious. Wow.

Golden, I'm also thrilled that NBC telecast V/M's free dance this weekend. And since they had no onscreen commentator hired for ice dancing, they pretty much had no commentary; they just showed the sublime skating.

Being greedy for ice dancing, especially this season, I'm happy for any chance to see either couple or both of them, in any combination. Their equals shall not come around again soon.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Really interesting interview with Tessa & Scott on their training methods this year:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...men-for-sochi/article15214213/?service=mobile
Any tips on minimizing overuse injuries?

Tessa: Heading into the training cycle before the Vancouver games, Scott and I ramped up our training tenfold in a really short period of time, putting in 15-hour days of training. We thought more time meant we were training smarter and harder which would get us to the top. Instead, we burnt out. We’ve learned now to make effective use of our time on the ice, but also to get that recovery and let our bodies rest. There are always going to be peaks and valleys in training, but down time is important. We’re so much smarter now. It’s a message I want to share because I’ve lived through [the consequences of overuse] and it’s not fun.

Scott: There are 1,000 different ways to get to your goal. We had to rewrap our heads around thinking if we stayed at the rink longer, we’d improve, and that’s not always the case. Now we’re training about five hours a day, breaking it up between morning and evening sessions. That break means we’re much more focused and our bodies are ready to work harder because we’ve had the recovery time. Always adapting has helped us, and it’s fun to find new solutions to get the same results. We’re constantly playing with that and trying to figure out the best possible use of our time.

They also emphasize the importance of training their glutes:
What is your most important muscle group?

Scott: Glutes. It’s the area where I get all the power to throw Tessa and to skate faster. If I don’t activate that group then I’m going to be pulling on smaller muscles to take the load. That’s when you run into injury problems, and obviously it’s not efficient.

Tessa: Glutes for sure. And building them up has been something I’ve worked very hard on the last few years. I’m not sure how I was a skater for over 10 years before and didn’t use my glutes. I relied on so many other muscles instead, especially my calves, so my body had an odd pattern. I ended up needing a couple of surgeries [in 2008 and 2010 for chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) in the shins and calves]. I overused them so I’ve worked hard to improve hip activation and core strength.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New video interview with Virtue/Moir from Skate Canada:

Minute With: Virtue & Moir
SkateCanada PatinageCanada
Published on Nov 14, 2013
Skate Canada host Terra Findlay spends a few minutes talking about life off the ice with reigning Olympic ice dance champions Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXKn9eyMR_Q (2:16 in length)​

ETA, photos of Virtue/Moir backstage at TEB: