Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir will be the final couple (of ten) to skate in the Quebec Senior SD competition.

The schedule at the link below says the Senior SD event will start at 14:10 and end at 15:10.

Link to results page will be here:

Do we have to pay for the webcast or is it free?

Free or not, I'm really excited to hear that V/M would be showing their SD this week:)

The webcast will be on ustream.tv ... so I'm 99% sure that it will be free. :) :popcorn: :yay:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
vera,
Sorry that I forgot to mention one caveat about Ustream. I haven't used the site in a while, but in my experience:
If you do not pay for a premium membership, ads pop up periodically -- and temporarily replace the live feed that one is watching. The ads stay up (and cannot be overridden) for something like ten or fifteen seconds ... maybe even thirty sometimes??
The problem is that you cannot control when exactly an ad will pop up and take over the screen, so it can happen at the most inopportune times (such as during an SD/SP of your favorite skater :bang:).
I have never been a premium member, but I believe that one of the benefits is that the ads do not pop up.

Celine

On the Ice
So they gave the usual/expected from athletes PC answer about whether this was their last season. I would love to see them continue. Does anything TRULY believe they would? I kind of sense Tessa's heart is not really into it. That it is Scott who has always wanted to continue through this quad, but that obviously, it has been a rightful challenge.

Thoughts? Do they continue competing past Sochi? (and I literally mean - both Worlds in Japan, and the 2015+ seasons)... :?

Scout

Final Flight
So they gave the usual/expected from athletes PC answer about whether this was their last season. I would love to see them continue. Does anything TRULY believe they would? I kind of sense Tessa's heart is not really into it. That it is Scott who has always wanted to continue through this quad, but that obviously, it has been a rightful challenge.

Thoughts? Do they continue competing past Sochi? (and I literally mean - both Worlds in Japan, and the 2015+ seasons)... :?

I think worlds in Japan will depend on the outcome of the Olympics. If they win, then I (personally) don't see the point. Even if they want to continue past this year, you can't end on a high that is higher than the Olympics. And given the short time frame between the Olympics and Worlds, it would be hard to prepare, get motivated and still enjoy their Olympics gold. I know they did it in 2010, but I would still be surprised if they did it this Olympic year. If they do, then it may just be a testament to how much they love competing. Or maybe they are thinking about the record books. Don't know. I just don't see what they have to gain from competiting at Worlds if they are repeat Olympic champions. If they don't win, then I could see them going to worlds as a way to try to end the season on a higher note.

I wonder if their decision will also depend on what D/W do. From what I know about D/W, they are also taking it year by year.

On a much more selfish note, I wish that Tessa and Scott would continue, because I love watching them skate!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can't find the article, but IIRC they reference the London Worlds as their last one. But hey, people can change their minds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So they gave the usual/expected from athletes PC answer about whether this was their last season. ...

I must say that I do not see anything "PC" whatsoever about keeping their options open at this point. :confused2:
The nonsensical corollary would be that they were politically incorrect last season when they openly discussed the likelihood of their post-Sochi retirement.

Examples of Virtue/Moir's remarks in Jan 2013:
.... Virtue and Moir ... have talked retirement following the Sochi Olympics.
“There is a good chance,” Virtue said, on London being their world finale. ....
Virtue ... and Moir ... know that time is ticking down on a career that’s already stretched 16 years, and they make a point of not letting a moment go unnoticed.
“Even in day-to-day training, we always say that to each other, there’s not much left,” Moir said. “We laugh because it seems like it hasn’t been three years since the Olympics already, it goes by so quick.”
Moir, who claimed his fifth national title Sunday with Virtue, said the two have begun to think about the next stage of their lives.
“Which is natural when you get to be 23 (Virtue) and 25 (Moir), but at the same time, we’re trying to take in every moment,” Moir said. “Because it could be the last 13 months of our competitive career, we’ve had a great run and we just want to finish it off the way we want, on our terms.”​
Source:
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir could be skating in their last world championship
Lori Ewing, Canadian Press | 13/01/21 | Last Updated: 13/01/22 8:28 AM ET
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...ds-will-be-tessa-virtue-and-scott-moirs-last/

Other than a change in her own true feelings, Virtue had no reason to take a different position in the recent IN article, IMHO.
They already have an Olympic title and two world titles. They have been great ambassadors for ice dance, for Skate Canada, and for Canada as a whole. Anyone who would be a source of external pressure for V/M to prolong their competitive careers has no justification for meddling. Other Canadian ice dancers are prepared to step up and become national champions worthy of international podiums.
As far as I'm concerned, if V/M are happy, then I'm happy for them -- whether their retirement comes sooner or later.

emdee

Final Flight

This is a UBER thread, Celine. I see a pattern here where you come into UBER threads and insidiously bash at the skaters.

emdee

Final Flight
I must say that I do not see anything "PC" whatsoever about keeping their options open at this point. :confused2:
The nonsensical corollary would be that they were politically incorrect last season when they openly discussed the likelihood of their post-Sochi retirement.

Virtue ... and Moir ... know that time is ticking down on a career that’s already stretched 16 years, and they make a point of not letting a moment go unnoticed.
“Even in day-to-day training, we always say that to each other, there’s not much left,” Moir said. “We laugh because it seems like it hasn’t been three years since the Olympics already, it goes by so quick.”
Moir, who claimed his fifth national title Sunday with Virtue, said the two have begun to think about the next stage of their lives.
“Which is natural when you get to be 23 (Virtue) and 25 (Moir), but at the same time, we’re trying to take in every moment,” Moir said. “Because it could be the last 13 months of our competitive career, we’ve had a great run and we just want to finish it off the way we want, on our terms.”​
Source:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...ds-will-be-tessa-virtue-and-scott-moirs-last/

Other than a change in her own true feelings, Virtue had no reason to take a different position in the recent IN article, IMHO.
They already have an Olympic title and two world titles. They have been great ambassadors for ice dance, for Skate Canada, and Canada as a whole. Anyone who would be a source of external pressure for V/M to prolong their competitive careers has no justification for meddling. Other Canadian ice dancers are prepared to step up and become national champions worthy of international podiums.
As far as I'm concerned, if V/M are happy, then I'm happy for them -- whether their retirement comes sooner or later.

Well said Golden!

lcd

Match Penalty

Source:

They already have an Olympic title and two world titles. They have been great ambassadors for ice dance, for Skate Canada, and for Canada as a whole. Anyone who would be a source of external pressure for V/M to prolong their competitive careers has no justification for meddling. Other Canadian ice dancers are prepared to step up and become national champions worthy of international podiums.

Agree with your thoughtful comments as usual Golden

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ICYMI (as I had) a few days after Virtue/Moir's Vancouver 2010 gold, Terry Gannon and Peter Carruthers interviewed them for Universal Sports:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mViw9xNqI2s (6:15 in length, uploaded a week ago)​

One of V/M's many nice interviews. And LOL, Moir sounds hoarse -- after all his cheering at Team Canada's hockey games, I guess? ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir today at Skate Canada's High Performance Camp :):

cbcolympics
Scott Moir says he's looking forward to making 'the country proud' #cbcolympics
http://instagram.com/p/d4goJ6H7yh/ (Virtue is in the photo too)​

@CBCOlympics
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir say their music selections this season will have a Russian influence #cbcolympics pic.twitter.com/ixpDrzGWkB
7:57 AM - 5 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/CBCOlympics/status/375633870055817217

Vine from Pj Kwong -- V/M in opening seconds of their SD:

ETA, #ThrowbackThursday -- incl. Moir (sans Virtue) + Dubreil/Lauzon, Sawyer, Sandhu:
@SkateCanada
#ThrowbackThursday: During the 2006 High Performance Camp, skaters got to take in a taping on Canadian Idol! #TBT pic.twitter.com/OQSY4FL5nw
11:03 AM - 5 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/375680558866526208

ETA, not related to High Performance Camp:
Just noticed that Team Canton's website has this (undated) photo of V/M on ice with Tamara Moskvina.

ETA:
Virtue/Moir are seen very briefly (on ice and off ice) in this behind-the-scenes video of High Performance Camp (vid is 1:27 in length)

Binthere

On the Ice
Oh I love the photos from the Canton camp website! Tamara Moskvina is a GOD(dess). So exciting to see her work with Tessa and Scott, and likely the other top dancers there took.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
More from HP Camp:

@SkateCanada
Behind the scenes with Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir at the #HPCamp13 photoshoot! pic.twitter.com/k85URxJOTv
9:16 AM - 7 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/376378421875843073

@CBCOlympics
Here's a behind the scenes look at what our #cbcolympics team is working on today with @SkateCanada's best pic.twitter.com/qaRmDR36NM
8:52 AM - 7 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/CBCOlympics/status/376372471726743553 (Virtue/Moir seen off ice in a big monitor)​

Another Vine from Pj Kwong (might be mini-interview off ice?? I can't view)

ETA, unrelated to High Performance Camp:

The NBC Olympics site recently looked back at the top 20 moments of Vancouver 2010, and Virtue/Moir's gold was #20.
Golden debut for Canada's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir
Aug 30, 1:15pm EDT
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/golden-debut-canadas-tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir (short text + video + slideshow of 27 photos of CD/OD/FD/medal ceremony)​

Included at the link above:
6:59 video of their Vancouver FD + receiving their gold medals

aftertherain

Record Breaker