2012 Cup of Russia Ladies' FS | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Ladies' FS

IleK

On the Ice
Is Kiira beautiful? Of course. Is she talented? Undoubtedly. Am I/the other posters ENVIOUS of her for being as such? No--I'm happy enough with where I am right now and, like you, have tremendous respect for the perseverance and grace of these skaters.

This is yet another case of someone who doesn't know how the scoring system works assuming that we're intentionally wronging the skaters. Presentation is a part of the PCS--how you present the program; if you look nice. So, no, I wouldn't want to see Kiira in sloppy clothes and disgusting makeup because it would cause her to be underscored. You misunderstand that we are somehow out to destroy Kiira because she's
often touted as the example of Presentation scoring, but that doesn't mean that every other skater is being snubbed. Each one has been, at some point, helped by the Presentation.

What an odd opinion on Adelina. It's not a matter of like or dislike, and even when it is, it's not HER personally. Some just aren't too keen on her style/interpretation. What it IS a matter of is that she has failed to skate a clean long program in 18 months, and that's really worrying for those (read: most) of us who believe she has the potential to go far. What we're saying is that she needs to get her stuff together, so to speak, and fix whatever is plaguing her--probably nerves or technique--before it gets her at a bigger event, like Russian Nationals or Worlds. But our comments on her inconsistency are far from unfounded, and going the route of "if you're a fan, you'll always support her" is irrelevant here and useless, besides.

I haven't been on this board very long, but I like what I've seen. Sure, you have the occasional malicious comments that are disappointing and upsetting, but the vast majority of posters are skating enthusiasts who enjoy coming here to discuss and debate about programs and skaters. Very, very few of us will spend our precious time maligning skaters and giggling to ourselves when there are so many other (and more worthwhile) topics of discussion. The fact that you think so shows that A) You haven't seen much of the forum, B) are vastly exaggerating the number of negative posts here, and C) are trying to be the "moral authority" in a place where civility is already assumed from the posters.

Well, it seems that we are reading different stuff around here. Do you really want me to quote the word HATE? I am not blind. I read a lot of posts from people who don't like her. that's ok, everyone with his taste, I also have skaters that I don't like very much ( I can' t even say I don't like them at all, but to hate them??) but I prefer writing about those that I like.

"Very, very few of us will spend our precious time maligning skaters and giggling to ourselves when there are so many other (and more worthwhile) topics of discussion". Are you sure about that? I read more negative comments than positive.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Are you sure about that? I read more negative comments than positive.

I say most of the posters had valid questions about the scoring. Very few went the beauty bonus/hate route, as you say. And there has been several (FlattFan, notably) that have defended Kiira's score as well, so I do think a variety of views are represented here.

You can always ignore posters! That's what I do.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, it seems that we are reading different stuff around here. Do you really want me to quote the word HATE? I am not blind. I read a lot of posts from people who don't like her. that's ok, everyone with his taste, I also have skaters that I don't like very much ( I can' t even say I don't like them at all, but to hate them??) but I prefer writing about those that I like.

"Very, very few of us will spend our precious time maligning skaters and giggling to ourselves when there are so many other (and more worthwhile) topics of discussion". Are you sure about that? I read more negative comments than positive.

I do want you to find comments that have expressed "hate" for the skaters, actually, because my eyes must have glossed right over them. I've seen plenty of "I hate that she/he was overscored here," but that is entirely different from malice.

Are we looking in the same places? You might have instances of the same poster making multiple negative comments, but to say that the majority of comments here are negative is like saying that there's more land than water on the surface of the planet.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just as a side note... while Kiira is pretty, I don't get why everyones so much into her looks.
If anyone, I think Gracie should be getting the beauty PCS... she's so, so stunning!!:love:

Gracie and Kira are both very pretty. This will be the pretty podium. I haven't seen the skates yet, but looking at the protocols, I think the judging was fair. Kiira completed more triples than Gracie and, from what I've seen in the past, Kiira's artistry etc. are better than Gracie's. But I am very excited about Gracie's future prospects.

Last edited:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
I'm not sure anybody has trouble with Kiira's marking for the FS, it seems fair. But the SP was a different story.

And no, many of us are not envious of Kiira's beauty, makeup or whatever we're supposed to be envious of. That's just a stupid comment. I'm old enough and then some to be her mother, for Christ's sake. And most of us are bright enough to understand that Kiira herself is not responsible for the actions of the tech panel, judges, or any other officials. It is not "hate" towards her but dismay towards the officials.

We just don't want to see BS judging or reputational judging or beauty judging. We want to see judging and scores that fairly reflect what was placed on the ice in that competition, and consistency among calls amongst all the competition's skaters. Kiira Korpi is just one of the more notorious examples, for a number of years, for getting a lot of breaks going her way that she often doesn't deserve.

Or maybe you just don't like her style of skating? I would like you to give some proof of her getting a lot of breaks going her way that she often doesn't deserve, otherwise it is just a baseless assumption on your part, and it shows that you are not looking at skaters in an objective way. Also, if you have trouble with the scores of her SP, then bring some proof as to why you think her scores were unfair, otherwise you once again fail to reflect her scores in an objective way. ;)

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 177.19 Free Skate
2. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 175.03 Free Skate
3. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 166.61
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 166.34 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 157.98 Free Skate
6. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 157.27 Free Skate
7. Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA (RUS) - 153.32 Free Skate
8. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 151.48 Free Skate
9. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 148.67 Free Skate
10. Caroline ZHANG (USA) - 138.21 Free Skate

Cherryy

On the Ice
I hope Caroline will be able to do better at nationals. Her speed is so poor it actually breaks my heart :cry: . I still believe she can place as high as third at nationals because her last season started even worse. But it makes me so sad that she always takes a step back with the beginning of each new season. It's the PCS that is much worse than the other's. Her TES was higher than Adelina's.

And when it comes to Sotnikova - I really don't know what's going on. Some say it's puberty and physical changes that had affected her, some reckon psychological problems as the reason for her poor performances. Whatever it is - I just hope she'll soon be fine with it. I also noticed a slight leg-wrap - maybe that's the reason? And she connects with the audience extremely well - glad to see this.

Glad that Polina did so well but I don't get her PCS score, only Caroline got less in this section. Great performance from Korobeynikova, maybe except for the costume.

I looooove Gracie, she's the one that should get beauty PCS instead of Kiira ;). Now seriously - her costume is beautiful, the performance was also good. I'm just so happy for her.

IleK

On the Ice
RE Mr. P: You are right. This what I did lately but :" hahahahah i love to hate of Kiira " really got on my nerves. I read a lot of negative things since this season began and I did what you said. Ignore. And this time I said that if I am a true fan I should defend her because she doesntt have too many to do so. And I am not the first one who said I don't understand this hate thing. So, there are enough written words to create this impression. Maybe because I didn't want to pick on someone for writing that I offended others who just don't like her but that's not a sin. Now I began to understand how hard must have been for Carolina's fans. I used to read a lot of things like this about her in the last years. Now I guess is Kiira's turn. I consider myself lucky that I am able to like so many skaters, it is a pleasure to watch and I always have at least one reason to be happy for how the podium ended. Today, I have 2 reasons. Or maybe 3, Agnes had 2 good programs for the first time since I first watched her.

Mao88

Record Breaker

1. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 177.19 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 175.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 166.61 Free Skate

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

Gold did great, best jumper among the US ladies at this point, I think. With more experience, she will be a contender for a big title.

Congrats to Korpi on her second GP win! She has two beautiful programs this year. I respect her for having showed REAL improvements, going for 3lz, 3f and 3-3, with better presentation/performance.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Happy for Kiira, Gold and Agnes!
Especially, Kiira... I won't forget her facial expression after the LP! Maybe the skate of her life. Well, not perfect but almost went there. ;)

ForeverFish

Medalist

1. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 177.19 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 175.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 166.61 Free Skate

Thank you SO much!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My thoughts. Russia is in deep trouble with the ladies. They will only have two for the Olympics and maybe none in the gpf. Piseev et al must be panicking, piss mad and perturbed! Murakami I like her perkiness a lot but I do sometimes wonder about the jumps though they look good. Korpi was the best here though not by much over Gracie. I thought Gracie might pull through. I just wish our gold medallist could do a little more in the jumping. Leonova must be in tears. Her placement here suggests she would be like 16th at worlds or so. The Russian youngsters need to really work on controlling their nerves, maintaining good technique on the jumps and developing a good, a strong and an elegant and expressive approach to their skating. There is potential but instead of a lot of superstars like Japan (men right now especially) they have a lot of hopefuls and unfulfilled talent - Makarova, the baby B's Tut, Lip, Sotnikova, Polinas and then what do you do with Leonova - none of them have stepped up to the plate to take charge.

Korpi was solid - almost as usual - never totally brilliant but always pretty, good presence on the ice, some triples, some nice spins and decent ice coverage and speed. Poor Murakmi the Susan Lucci of figure skating:(

jaylee

Medalist
undermarked again:cry:

It was really missing the 2A in her 3F sequence that cost Murakami the bronze. I really dislike her FS layout, it's high risk/high reward, but IMO, not worth it. The 3loop is not a great jump for her, and the callers have called both of her second loops UR in both of her GPs. Having only one double axel is okay, but having it as the second element in a sequence is dangerous for the reason we saw here today--her 3F was shaky and she didn't do the axel. Since the axel is a required element, the triple toe was voided as if it never happened. :slink: And her FS layout ridiculously doesn't allow her to attempt her eye-catching 3T/3T.

ForeverFish

Medalist
My thoughts. Russia is in deep trouble with the ladies. They will only have two for the Olympics and maybe none in the gpf. Piseev et al must be panicking, piss mad and perturbed! Murakami I like her perkiness a lot but I do sometimes wonder about the jumps though they look good. Korpi was the best here though not by much over Gracie. I thought Gracie might pull through. I just wish our gold medallist could do a little more in the jumping. Leonova must be in tears. Her placement here suggests she would be like 16th at worlds or so. The Russian youngsters need to really work on controlling their nerves, maintaining good technique on the jumps and developing a good, a strong and an elegant and expressive approach to their skating. There is potential but instead of a lot of superstars like Japan (men right now especially) they have a lot of hopefuls and unfulfilled talent - Makarova, the baby B's Tut, Lip, Sotnikova, Polinas and then what do you do with Leonova - none of them have stepped up to the plate to take charge.

Korpi was solid - almost as usual - never totally brilliant but always pretty, good presence on the ice, some triples, some nice spins and decent ice coverage and speed. Poor Murakmi the Susan Lucci of figure skating:(

I thought Lipnitskaia looked fine at Cup of China last weekend--two flubs in the FS proved that all nerves can (and will) fray. And what better place for it to happen than at your first GP event? Just wait and see if her defeat doesn't motivate her to completely and utterly dominate the field at TEB. She was p*ssed that she lost to Mao.

Who's "our" gold medalist? Gracie? For the record, I thought she was confident from the beginning of her FS, and she would've won had she not flubbed those jumps. At least we know she has the technical aspect of the competition covered, double-checked, and covered again. What she needs to focus on from now until Nats is the artistic aspect, especially interpretation. She could do beautiful (haha) things with her FS.

I'm cutting Tukta some slack until she's recovered from injury and gets used to her body changes. I speak from experience when I say that it's a real struggle.

Leonova's poor showing only founds my fear that she's having some serious consistency issues. She may be a late bloomer like Kostner, but if so then she's running out of time to prove it. Russia will probably put her on its Worlds team since Lipnitskaia is age-ineligible this season, but at this point they're probably scratching her name from the list of potential representatives at Sochi.

I'm most worried about Sotnikova and the fact that she doesn't know what happened with her triple flip in the SP. To me, that suggests a technical detail that has somehow been overlooked--otherwise, she would've said "I was nervous" or "I got ahead of myself and didn't focus on the element"--and that is a huge warning bell that she and her coach need to get back to the drawing board and see where exactly she lost that jump. She just hasn't had too illustrious of a season yet (no clean FS in 18 months) --losing to Wagner and Gao at SA, and now Murakami, Zawadzki, Gold, and Korpi at CoR. The best that can be said for her CoR FS is that she was clearly nervous from the start. It's terribly sad that so many people had her projected as the CoR champion only for her to fail to deliver. At this rate she probably won't make the GPF.

ForeverFish

Medalist
It'd be fairer to blame the flagrant foul first before blaming the reasonable blame. :)

The blame was reasonable; the insult, not so much.

Getting back on topic, I just love Gracie's coach Ouriashev. The look on his face after her SP was absolutely touching--like he was having a quasi-proud father moment.