2012 Cup of Russia Pairs FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of Russia Pairs FS

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I finally watched these. I'm starting to watch V and T right now, but I just finished B/L, and I can't believe they were placed 10 pts ahead of Denney/Coughlin.

gold12345

Medalist
I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the the the Judges for the Pairs FS are from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Uzbekistan and Estonia, just saying.......

Yes, ugh. In 2012, this is still a problem. I wish I was wrong, but I'm guessing those judges were 5 of the 6 judges who thought V/T's very 2-fted 3STh deserved +GOE, even as high as +3! I really wish the ISU would get it together and crack down on bad judging and come up with more balanced panels. 7 of the 9 judges shouldn't be European... Or better yet, maybe the judges should actually judge fairly! The scoring of elements should be relatively objective! A mistake is a mistake!

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I haven't read through all the comments , so probably it's all been said. I just want to add that the scoring , especially for the pairs competition , has been absolutely pathetic , and should this kind of thing continue , it will lose fans for the sport.

I now sort of dread the GPF.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The problem is there's no accountability. You can give +3 for a fall, and nothing would happen. There should be an inquiry system for skaters and coaches and federation. You should file an inquiry when there's obvious judging errors like the case of B/L and V/T. If a judge continually gives the wrong GOE, then s/he is not fit to be a judge. S/he should be banned for life. The wrong GOE should be the average of the rest of the other judges or should be decided by the tech panel.

Of course, skating isn't a real sport, so all these nonsense still exist.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Excuse me FlattFan but I would like to hear why do you think skating isn't a real sport? Is it because of the judging? If that's the case, I totally disagree. Skating is a majestic sport. Yes, there might be problems in judging once in a while. But what could we say about soccer then? That it isn't a real sport? Let's have in mind that there are plenty of referee mistakes that have a direct implication in the final result in every competition (Champions League, Europa League, national championships, Euros and worlds). People still regard soccer has a "real" sport despite all that. With skating it shouldn't be different. There are mistakes by judges but it doesn't mean that skating shouldn't be seen as a real sport.
The scores for the top three couples in the COR were higher than the performances deserved but the right people were in the podium in the right order (at least in my eyes). I just question why Volosozhar & Trankov got + GOE for certain elements where there were obvious mistakes and I don't understand some of the scores that some judges gave them in the components.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Skating is too subjective. Most of the time, I'm baffled by the PCS some skaters received. I don't understand why inflated GOE were given to some skaters but not others. The judging is completely wacky. No one say pageantry is a sport, do they?
Subjectivity and real sport are two parallel lines.

If they have PCS in gymnastic, Shaun Johnson would never get that many Gold and Silver medals. She would be the Denney/Coughlin of figure skating. Someone like B/L would win medals even when they fall 5 times on the balance beam. Their execution would be 9.7 and their base value would be 5.2. Shaun's execution would be 4.2 and her base could be 10 and still lose.

For soccer, they regularly file complaints and inquiries, correct? And people have been complained about the power of referees for years, so it wasn't a controversial-free sport.

yqs100

On the Ice
this is ridiculous,,,not fare to other skaters at the same level,,,,,,,hope v/t wont pay off in sochi,,,

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Skating is too subjective. Most of the time, I'm baffled by the PCS some skaters received. I don't understand why inflated GOE were given to some skaters but not others. The judging is completely wacky. No one say pageantry is a sport, do they?
Subjectivity and real sport are two parallel lines.

If they have PCS in gymnastic, Shaun Johnson would never get that many Gold and Silver medals. She would be the Denney/Coughlin of figure skating. Someone like B/L would win medals even when they fall 5 times on the balance beam. Their execution would be 9.7 and their base value would be 5.2. Shaun's execution would be 4.2 and her base could be 10 and still lose.

For soccer, they regularly file complaints and inquiries, correct? And people have been complained about the power of referees for years, so it wasn't a controversial-free sport.

Exactly, a sport as popular as soccer is haunted with countless number of controversial decisions by referess. Still it's popularity seems unaffected by it and people don't question it as a sport everytime there's a problem with judging. Therefore Figure Skating must not be disconsidered as a sport. Yes, in soccer there are complains sometimes but do the decisions about results get changed? No.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Exactly, a sport as popular as soccer is haunted with countless number of controversial decisions by referess. Still it's popularity seems unaffected by it and people don't question it as a sport everytime there's a problem with judging. Therefore Figure Skating must not be disconsidered as a sport. Yes, in soccer there are complains sometimes but do the decisions about results get changed? No.

But the ref would be in trouble. Big time. Some cases, banned for life.
Now, who will be in trouble for the shenanigans that went down in Cup of Russia?
This is not a real sport, there's no real consequences.