Czisny Suffers Another Training Setback | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Czisny Suffers Another Training Setback

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I've also heard it mentioned that Polina Shelepen WD early enough to allow Nagasu to get the spot providing that the US Federation doesn't WD Czisny. The extent to which you believe that is entirely dependent on the extent to which you want to, imo.
I love the idea that Osmond is such a threat to Japanese, American and Russian skaters that the Japanese fed is afraid to have her skate at NHK!

Not saying that I necessarily believe the above conspiracy theory. But the idea of big bad scary Osmond tickles. Hope it further ups her cred with the international judges.

I doubt this is the case. I don't think any federation is afraid of Kaetlyn at this point, as she has only skated one good event internationally. And I agree the USFSA isn't that calculated, especially when they can't even properly manage their own athletes' condition.
Two, if you count Nebelhorn, where Osmond beat Sotnikova.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
:laugh: I don't buy the notion/conspiracy that there's this big, concerted effort across multiple federations to keep Osmond out of GPF contention after what she did at SC. But I have to admit the thought is entertaining...

I think the delay is all on Team Czisny in this case...possibly USFS as well if they're ultimately in charge of notifying NHK, but no more IMO.

If it is Osmond that would ultimately get Czisny's spot if she pulled out, between us I'm not in any particular hurry, although it still doesn't make it right if Czisny is purposefully delaying.

Last edited:
They wouldn't give it to Osmond (#47 on the world ranking list) anyway. They could go with Hecken (#29), McCorkell (#35), or Glebova (#36), all of whom have only 1 spot.

Burykova, #62, is already scheduled for NHK as her second event, the first being Cup of China. Now that's what I call politicking! :yes:.

They should go back to the original idea of the Gand Prix. Six separate events, then the winners of those events meet in the winner-take-all final. (The only problem was that in the first one, in 1995-96, there were only five events and the same lady won three of them.)

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think Czisny wants to compete. I think if she can't compete, she's gonna make that decision at the last possible minute, as you'd expect of any athlete with willpower and love of what they do. She's not thinking of Osmond or her federation, and I can't think of a reason she should (yes, I'm fine with her competing at Worlds last season).

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think Czisny wants to compete. I think if she can't compete, she's gonna make that decision at the last possible minute, as you'd expect of any athlete with willpower and love of what they do. She's not thinking of Osmond or her federation...

Yes, but the debate is whether the team and/or the federation should intervene when there's stuff on the line. Of course the athlete is going to want to play/compete, and will hobble out there if necessary. The NBA and NFL have new rules now, I believe, that mandate clearance from a doctor for any player who has sustained a concussion before they can play again.

Again, you cannot rely on the athlete to make the right call. You *must* have outside folks with a less partial view to assess the situation and determine whether it's OK/worth the risk/etc. At least some of them should be in the medical field (familiar with the type of injury sustained).

meem

On the Ice
I think you have the Hughes sisters mixed up. It was Emily not Sarah who took Michelles' spot in Torino. Sarah won 2002 Olympics.[/QUOTE]

I sure did use the wrong name (but I had the image of Emily in my mind)...thanks!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Czisny's comments on her withdrawal from NHK, as tweeted by Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil:

After withdrawing from NHK, Alissa Czisny just texted me: "I have no doubts whatsoever I will be ready and prepared for nationals"
8:48 AM - 14 Nov 12 ·

More from Alissa:"Withdrawal mostly a matter of not being able/wanting to push hip to prepare in time. Absolutely can't risk any setbacks"
8:51 AM - 14 Nov 12

Last bit from Alissa:"We are looking for a competition before nationals (even something local would be helpful)" BTW: Hip surgery was June 6
8:55 AM - 14 Nov 12​

(emphasis added)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing a healthy Alissa at Nationals.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Czisny's comments on her withdrawal from NHK, as tweeted by Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil:

After withdrawing from NHK, Alissa Czisny just texted me: "I have no doubts whatsoever I will be ready and prepared for nationals"
8:48 AM - 14 Nov 12 ·

More from Alissa:"Withdrawal mostly a matter of not being able/wanting to push hip to prepare in time. Absolutely can't risk any setbacks"
8:51 AM - 14 Nov 12

Last bit from Alissa:"We are looking for a competition before nationals (even something local would be helpful)" BTW: Hip surgery was June 6
8:55 AM - 14 Nov 12​

(emphasis added)
I'm happy Nationals won't be her first competition of the season!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe I have a short memory but I really don't remember Michelle ever embarassing herself in her last couple of years. I think she pulled the plug when she knew it was time. She had more to her life than skating and wanted to pursue her education, etc. And on that - she's done remarkably well!

I would never say Kwan embarassed herself but she wasnèt up to her normal perfect self when she tried balancing school or held on with injuries and we never really saw hwer skate in 2006 - just given the opporutnity on her well earned reputation.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
I find her interview responses to Phil Hersh somewhat optimistic and lacking in any content regarding salient details.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IMO Kwan didn't know when to call it quits. She was too injured to compete at '06 Nationals (and had been injured for quite some time already at that point) yet she refused to step back and allow another American skater, Sarah Hughes, to be a part of the opening ceremony in Torino, have the thrill of walking behind the flag (sure Sarah eventually got to Torino to compete but it would have been nice if she'd had the whole experience). Michelle had already competed in two Olympics, and yes, we were lucky to see several beautiful performances for the next couple of years. But even after she couldn't compete at Nationals she still wouldn't face reality that her body was "done". I've always been a fan of MK but that decision of hers really bothered me.

Snip. Some would say that Kwan should have retired after Nagano, then she gave us three more gloriuos years. Some said that she should have retired after Salt Lake, then she gave us those beautiful National programs. By the time Torino arrive there wasn't much of her left. I bow to her for knowing when to call it quits.

ITA

FSGMT

Record Breaker
IMO Kwan didn't know when to call it quits. She was too injured to compete at '06 Nationals (and had been injured for quite some time already at that point) yet she refused to step back and allow another American skater, Sarah Hughes, to be a part of the opening ceremony in Torino, have the thrill of walking behind the flag (sure Sarah eventually got to Torino to compete but it would have been nice if she'd had the whole experience). Michelle had already competed in two Olympics, and yes, we were lucky to see several beautiful performances for the next couple of years. But even after she couldn't compete at Nationals she still wouldn't face reality that her body was "done". I've always been a fan of MK but that decision of hers really bothered me.

ITA
I'm so sorry but I have to agree with you, I LOVE MK's skating but that decision was the worst thing throughout her career: in my opinion, she should have retired after her 2005 FS at Nationals: she couldn't deal with IJS, her body was done, she had won everything except that Olympic title, well, it's not essential in your life if you're one of the greatest skaters ever! Her 4th place at 2005 Worlds should have been a clear signal for her...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily Hughes was a lackluster, mediocre skater. She had an air of entitlement that was to me screeching chalk on a blackboard. She went to the Olympics and finished 7th, more than 20 points out of the medals. She was a USFS darling because of her name only--she got inflated marks to ensure she got whatever she wanted (except the 2007 National title which rightfully went to Meissner).

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
It's official -- Alissa withdraws from NHK.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121114&content_id=40282494&vkey=ice_news

Doesn't say whether there will be a replacement...

Thanks for the update, Mrs. P.

In light of this, I think there are some people who've commented on this thread who owe Czisny an apology for the cynical, mean-spirited comments suggesting she would selfishly compete while injured or withdraw at the last minute. I'd say withdrawing twelve days before the start of the competition is pretty gracious.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It isn't 12 days before the competition. It's November 15th in Japan and that's EIGHT days before the competition.

NMURA

Medalist
It's too early to be so "optimistic". Two years ago, JSF invited Shaun Sawyer 3 or 4 days before actual competitions of NHK trophy. If Osmond was invited, it could give impressions that some backdoor deals were made between Japan and Canada. Maybe that is what JSF wants to avoid.