Can Chan beat Hanyu if both skate their best? | Golden Skate

Can Chan beat Hanyu if both skate their best?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Next up for Yuzuru Hanyu is the NHK Trophy in a couple of weeks. I think that if he skates as well as he did in the Skate America SP in both the SP and FS at NHK, he has the potential to break Chan's world record FS score of 187.96 and combined score of 280.98 (both set at the 2011 world championships). In my view, Hanyu is the most likely skater to break 300 as an ISU recognized score (Chan's 302.14 at 2012 Canadian Nationals is not recognized by the ISU), and I think he is the most talented male singles skater since Alexei Yagudin. Moreover, even if Chan were to be at his absolute best and skate completely clean, I think he simply cannot beat Hanyu at his best (also skating completely clean). Hanyu is now too good for him.

Nevertheless, what do you think? Could Patrick Chan at his best beat Yuzuru Hanyu at his best (both skating clean)?

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yuzuru is loved and much liked
Yuzuru is continually improving, a child prodigy to a superstar in the making, If Yuzuru fulfills his full potential, I don't even think Chan would be half as good as Yuzuru
that is how good Hanyu is, very rarely am I impressed, Yuzuru's skating is very special and is awesomeness, sorry for being a bit uber of the words being used, but just my 2 cents :)

evangeline

Record Breaker
On TES, Hanyu would probably win. Maxed-out Hanyu has 2 quads (including a 4S), 2 3As in his LP (including a 3A-3T combo in the second half). On the other hand, Chan has 4T-3T, 4T but only 1 3A. Also, Hanyu on a good day is a strong spinner and scores well on footwork as well.

However, I'm not so sure about PCS.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Orser has planned an ambitious layout for Yuzuru and it's extended to Javier as well -- that guy's planned content is downright crazy -- he has three quads (2 4T + 4S) and a 4T-2T in the second half of that program! At SC he did two quads and six triples! Whew!!

So I agree with evangeline that Yuzuru, on a good day, could out TES Chan, but it's hard to say how they would compare as far as PCS....The same goes for Javier as well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It could come down to politics. Japanese fed might want Hanyu to stick around until at least 2018, and if he were to win Worlds and the Olympics, he might not want to, so I could see his PCS getting held down a bit compared to Chan so that, if they both were to skate clean, Chan would come out on top due to PCS. The way I see it Chan's time is now, or might have really been the past 2 seasons, so I see Sochi as the time for Chan to win, show he's dominant, then retire, and the post-Sochi era as the time for Hanyu, and Javi, to emerge as the top guns and the stage to shift a whole lot as I expect we'll see a lot of retirements post 2014 - Takahashi, Joubert, Lysacek, Weir, Abbott, Oda, Plushenko, Verner, Voronov, Menshov almost certainly, then maybe some guys from among the likes of Brezina, Reynolds, Rippon, Dornbush, Mahbanoozadeh, Miner, Amodio, etc. depending on who goes to and/or skates well at the Olympics. Plus Worlds this year are in Canada so a clean Chan I'm almost sure would win. And even though Hanyu's jumps and spins are better Chan still gets huge GOEs anyways. Sochi is more up in the air but I think Chan is still the guy being chased at this point.

Tommmy

Rinkside
I think it would be more accurate to say
"Can Yuzuru Hanyu beat Patrick Chan if both skate at their best? " ;)

bekalc

Record Breaker
It could come down to politics. Japanese fed might want Hanyu to stick around until at least 2018, and if he were to win Worlds and the Olympics, he might not want to, so I could see his PCS getting held down a bit compared to Chan so that, if they both were to skate clean, Chan would come out on top due to PCS. The way I see it Chan's time is now, or might have really been the past 2 seasons, so I see Sochi as the time for Chan to win, show he's dominant, then retire, and the post-Sochi era as the time for Hanyu, and Javi, to emerge as the top guns and the stage to shift a whole lot as I expect we'll see a lot of retirements post 2014 - Takahashi, Joubert, Lysacek, Weir, Abbott, Oda, Plushenko, Verner, Voronov, Menshov almost certainly, then maybe some guys from among the likes of Brezina, Reynolds, Rippon, Dornbush, Mahbanoozadeh, Miner, Amodio, etc. depending on who goes to and/or skates well at the Olympics. Plus Worlds this year are in Canada so a clean Chan I'm almost sure would win. And even though Hanyu's jumps and spins are better Chan still gets huge GOEs anyways. Sochi is more up in the air but I think Chan is still the guy being chased at this point.

I agree about wanting Hanyu to stick around till 2018 BUT the fact is that its very likely men's is Japan's best shot at an Olympic Gold in skating. And if Hanyu emerges as the most consistent likely of the guys to perform well than he may get their support for that alone. Now Kozuka/Dai doing it would be better for them.

FTnoona

Final Flight

I'd have to agree with Tommmy.
Hanyu's defintely got a lot of potential, but with his current FS, I think he'll run out of gas before he can deliver a performance that can beat a clean Chan. But from the way Hanyu's PCS have increased, I think if he ever skates two clean programs, he might make it tough for Chan (I think more so than a clean Takahashi). It's not like Chan's only strength when he skates two clean programs is going to be his PCS. He'll deliver high TES too. Hanyu's PCS at CoC 2011 was 36.44 and SA 2012 was 43.36, both of those SPs were clean (PCS are comparable season by season right?? if not fooey....). If JFS really wants to hold him back on PCS, I think the first glance of it will be at NHK when he goes up against Takahashi. I would love to see Hanyu as a world and olympic champion someday, but why expect so much from him so soon?

Last edited:

willywonka

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu at his best can beat anyone. Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahito, Evgeni Plushenko, Evan Lysaceck, Jeremy Abbot, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown are no match to Prince Yuzuru!:love: He's currently the BEST! And he's only 18. :rock:

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Rhetorical question deserve a rhetorical answer: Yes maybe in Canada and China. Not likely in Japan and Russia. Neutral in USA?
And NOT if the impression of either Patrick or Hanyu was over marked at their last competition. (I'd argue Hanyu's PCS was overly generous at his last LP coming off a stunning SP WR. Judge impression recaliberation are to be expected at his next outing if he crash and burn again, look at what happened with Kozuka's PCS)

I'd rate Chan a better overall skater still TODAY who has show admirable growth in refining his artistry in the way it feels organic and natural. I like the fact he is unhurried about it and makes it an evolving process, who seems to have learnt to be more strategic (the ladies have been doing it for past 2 years, so why not the men?). He is pure skating and he is beautiful to watch when he doesn't break that spell through one of his 'uh-ohs!'. I have said before, when Patrick is ON, it is almost like observing a Taichi master at work controlling the elements with gentle finesse and apparent effortlessness that is really quite a pleasure and amazing to watch. I'd love him to become 3rd time world champion this year because for the first time I really like his suite of programs that feels more distinctively and uniquely Patrick than before.

Patrick should takes advantage of reckless youth of Hanyu who tends to take more bites than he can chew, together with his asthma problems usually makes his FS a big challenge. Certainly the efforts are always shown more visibly in his performance than not. Hanyu's high risk and high reward approach makes him exciting to watch and root for, but without showing better consistency and security in himself, judges impressions are going to matter. Despite just breaking the SP record through COP number crunching, I am just not a fan of the SP and that think he is trying too hard to fulfill someone else's idea of versatility instead of coming from him. It shows in the performance aspect of the program. Also as long as Daisuke are also at his best in the same competition (with a set of program that worth his talent unlike this year), I'd be very surprised Hanyu would get the full PCS support he'd need to beat Patrick at his best.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry while i'm not the biggest Chan fan Patrick has superior skating skills compared to Hanyu and also has those quads also.

I think Chan would still win on skating skills even if they both skated clean/their best..

Sorry while i'm not the biggest Chan fan Patrick has superior skating skills compared to Hanyu and also has those quads also.

THIS. PC is simply the best when it comes to skating skills and even if Yuzuru could become better at his SS than already he is at, I don't see him catch up with Patrick's.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Funny I was just thinking about this yesterday. Well, I guess if anyone can beat Patrick it is Yuzuru. The judges seem to love Yuzuru and I think if he delivers a clean program his chances are high. But I will only believe it if I see it. I just cannot imagine it really happening at the moment.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
In your hypothetical, Chan wins. That simple. Hanyu has a few years to catch up on his presentation. Like it or not a clean or mostly clean Chan is going to beat Hanyu. Javi has more finesse, Dai has the PCS scores when he has the jumps. Hanyu is a baby, and count on Patrick to peak at Worlds and work his butt off to get gold. If he doesn't skate the best, he won't ever do worse than siilver. WC's are judged with more generosity that young pups. Gold might blow Akiko away, or Mao, but a lot of judges and the small skating community want to see the veterans pay off. Hanyu is all over the place in his FS and stamina is and will be a huge issue. If Patrick starts jumping consistenly and even relatively clean, he is really in another league. A s for men, Kozuka is a threat, Dai and Javier if the jumps are there but being from Spain does not help. I see more inflation, but let us be honest, Patricks skating skills are the best in the world. Jump consistency is his bigaboo. If he skates like he did at CoR, he is close to unbeatable. Evgeni Plushenko whould just stay home at age 30. Hanyu will be king when the current group all retire after Sochi, but Patrick is far more polished, as is normal considering he is 4 years older. I think I am objective. I'm no huge Chan the person fan, I'm not Canadian or a memeber of his Chinese support group. I have really hated a system and the favoritism that gave him wins with so many falls, rotated jumps or not. But he is the best when on and I can imagine how muchmore consisten at landing quads and triple axels he might be. This is key going forward. He is unbeatable on the ice right now. . I am clueless why he has no jump coach. This is key to his future succes and Sochi gold, IMO. It makes no sense as this is the coach he needs, not a modern dance coach...WTH?

Niki2012

Rinkside
Oh... come on
Is Hayu's skating as good as Chan? No way!
Does he have the same successful rate for quad as Chan? No.
Does he have stamina to last to the end of program? No!
Is his PCS inflated? Big Yes!
Is he JFS's favorite? Yes!

Overall, Chan win.
Both PCS are inflated, but Chan's skating is obviously far superior. The judges will lose justification to give him high PCS if similar PCS
is given to Hanyu whose SS is obviously inferior.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
(Edited post.)

Oh... come on
Is Hayu's skating as good as Chan? No way!
Does he have the same successful rate for quad as Chan? No.
Does he have stamina to last to the end of program? No!
Is his PCS inflated? Big Yes!
Is he JFS's favorite? Yes!

Yeah, I remember him sitting down after some of his programs because he was so tired!

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The answer to the title quesiton is: Yes. If both skated perfectly with planned jumps and emotions, Chan cannot beat Hanyu on jump content and Base Value. However, Chan will have much better qualities on the executions of everything. So I think in the old 6.0 system, Hanyu could pull out like Tara Lipinski against Michelle Kwan. But in CoP system, everything counts. Probably Chan could narrowly win over Hanyu. If in this case Chan won, will it be unfair? Not at all.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

right. Chan's PCS are deservedly higher than Yuzuru. Yuzuru is very, very talented, his jumps are fantastic, but if they both land everything as planned and perform their best Chan wins.