Grand Prix final entries so far | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix final entries so far

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
One potential problem I see is it would make the GPs themselves less relevant; ie. there is less meaning to placing first, second or third at your event. Right now, winning means you get a good shot at the GPF, but if scores were used instead, you won't actually know how well you've done since everyone in the next GP might end up throwing down the programs of their lives. In the current system, even if you're not usually considered to be a frontrunner, you just need to perform better than your competitors on the day of - which is kind of in the spirit of competition. I can also envision a lot of controversy over scoring, especially if total scores between competitors are only a couple of points off. I find that judges scores can sometimes be out of whack, but often the placements are at least correct.

Oh, a lot of people on this board wouldn't agree that the placements tend to be correct even when scores aren't. ;)

That's a fair point about the individual competitions not mattering as much, and it would be a trade-off of sorts. Personally, I'd rather have a final made up of the six highest-scoring skaters or teams than have all the competition rankings matter. I hate to see situations like the one in ice dance this year, where Weaver & Poje ended up out of the GPF even though they were fifth-best in terms of their score totals. I'm glad something similar didn't end up happening in the ladies, with Liza being knocked out by Zawadski or Nagasu. In many cases the GPF finalists would end up being the same anyway, but I think it's a bit of a shame when they're not.