Spoilers... Mens Sp | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spoilers... Mens Sp

LittleAngelCora

Rinkside
Thanks for the welcome Mathman! I've been a loyal Golden Skate reader for a while now, I just hardly ever post. Thanks again!

Courtney

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I was SO impressed with both Johnny's and Evan's skates. They had so much passion!

On the off note, I enjoyed Ward's skate. I know he could not hold any landings, but I really liked his skating and choreography. If this guy can learn to land his jumps, he could really bring some variety into US men skating.

Finally, I wonder who USFSA will send to Worlds if Weiss stays in 4th. Not that I think it will happen, one of the top 3 is bound to mess up in the free, but still an interesing thought.

Pookie

Final Flight
I felt so bad for Tim. I'm not a huge fan but he has improved so much. I hope it all comes together for the LP so he can move up some. He was very classy not to look for excuses on why things went wrong.

I was so proud of Matt Savoie. I would love for him to keep it together in the LP and stand on top of the podium.

Ryan Bradley is really cute, fun skater to watch. Would love to see him succeed.

Johnny Weir skated wonderfully. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up for the LP.

Michael was very classy in his interview. His SP wasn't bad but that costume is so distracting. I think it would have won top honors on Mr. Blackwell's list.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Rohene Ward has fabulous style, but he needs those jumps. He reminded me of Rudy Galindo.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RealtorGal, I agree with you about Rohene Ward. I was impressed with his style. I think nerves may have gotten in the way. From what Uncle Dickie said he was impressed with his practices, so let's hope he can shape up (Rohene not Uncle Dickie).

But yeah, yeah for Johnny, Evan and Matt. Matt is such a good skater too. What kind of made me sad last night was if Todd were still eligible and skated clean he would have won hands down. Oh well!!

Dee

Laura_B

Rinkside
Let me start by saying I was so surprised about last night's results!! The judging was all over the place, but I thought the results were fair. One thing about Tim Goebel--his technique on the jumps has been slightly off this whole season, but I don't think it's just his timing, like Dick Button said. I was watching my tapes over again, and Tim has started doing this thing with his shoulders on some of the jumps...I need to slow-mo my tapes again and double check, but it looks like he's lifting his shoulder up too much after the take-off, and pre-rotating(?) with it. I haven't ever seen him do that before, and I don't know why he's doing it, or if it's a result of his boot problems or possible timing issues, but I definitely believe that it's a huge part of the reason why he's not landing his jumps. I hope he takes note of that and corrects it; it didn't look like he was doing that in the short program last night, but we'll see in the long.

windspirit

On the Ice
Weir - blew me away! Whee! I'm a believer now. Loved everything about his performance; him (well, maybe not his hair ;) ); and his interview after. Go, Johnny! I really hope he wins this thing. I just looked at my notes: "3z/3t wow"; "great sit spins"; "4,9 and 5.0! WTF?" :laugh: He too was surprised to see a 4.9 there, and might've commented on it in K&C, if I remember correctly. Good, he needs that killer attitude. Maybe this time he should comment on Weiss' program. :p

Lysacek - I finally had a chance to see him. Me likey. The energy was good, he really sold his program. Good spins. Loved Terry's comment: "He's his best audience." Btw, he looks much better than in some recent photos (after his growth spurt).

Bradley - his 3a was so high (and he just hung in the air) I'd swear it was a quad. Wow. Liked the program, especially his musical footwork (if footwork can be musical). The hair has to go, though, lol.

Goebel - it was really hard to watch (emotionally wise). My heart went out to him. :cry: But he skated the whole program without letting the falls get to him, even though it was obvious that his heart was breaking. I was so glad that Frank finally patted his back in the K&C area. And those tears in his eyes... :cry: Something is wrong with him, and it ain't boots.

Weiss - he wasn't as bad as he was in GP events, and still was only four. Kind of ironic, eh? No holding him up this time. Good. I'm really tired with his winning all those things, only because the rest of the skaters really blew their programs, or he was really held up, or both. :sheesh:

Savoie - sorry, but he's like a snooze button to me. I really want and try to pay attention, but my mind just wanders off. But good for him. If the podium looks like this, I won't be disappointed.

Ward - all that hype, and he didn't deliver. Uncle Dick's reaction to him reminded me of one very emotionally charged (kind of orgasmic) commentary of his during some Cohen's skate. Please, Mr. Button, keep some things to yourself. ;)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
tim

JonnyCoop said:
This was about the level of weirdness I was expecting in the men's competition this year, tho I wasn't expecting things to get really out of control until the long program. I'm thrilled that Savoie is in the mix; I wish Derrick Delmore was in it as well. I also wish Weiss was the one in 10th instead of Goebel; he is really working my nerves this year for some reason and it's not just because of all the falling. Does he still have that stupid thing on his chin that he had at the GP Final?? (I am cable-TV-less, so won't be able to see anything till Saturday:( )

I agree with you about wishing Weiss was in 10th, rather than Tim, but I think, for some strange reason, Tim will be held up and somehow finish near or on the podium. I remember Jordan Brauninger saying something about a triple axel/quad-less program is considered a "ladies" program, and they actually tell a guy that they have a nice "ladies" program, so for some reason, I don't think Johnny, Matt, or Evan will be able to win the title. The USFSA may seem fairer than most federations out there (France comes to mind re: Jeannette), but they will still find a way to send the more experienced skaters- even if it means giving a skater lower marks, and blowing up marks for someone else...

BTW- I don't think Tim will withdraw; if he does, he will be in a strange predicament- an Olympic Bronze medalist competing in regional/sectional competition.

Realtorgal, Jonny, and anyone from SD- we should have a skating day! I live across the fwy from the Mira Mesa rink...I've been thinking of taking adult classes...at the ripe old age of 22!

windspirit

On the Ice
Re: tim

thisthingcalledlove said:
I remember Jordan Brauninger saying something about a triple axel/quad-less program is considered a "ladies" program, and they actually tell a guy that they have a nice "ladies" program, so for some reason, I don't think Johnny, Matt, or Evan will be able to win the title.
The Russians call a program like that a "ladies" program, he said. :laugh: Btw, as of now Weiss doesn't have a quad and a 3a, either, nor does Tim... The plot thickens. ;)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I don't think the federation is averse to sending 1 or 2 newbies to Worlds. Johnny is known internationally (former World Jr. Champion). Tim is trouble this year, and they know it. Lysacek, Bradley (gosh that 3A was incredible!) could use the international exposure for the future. Michael will make the team, perhaps even win it. Something in Johnny's face made me think he is mentally stronger this year and I believe he will take the title with Michael in 2nd.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Realtorgal, Jonny, and anyone from SD- we should have a skating day! I live across the fwy from the Mira Mesa rink...I've been thinking of taking adult classes...at the ripe old age of 22!
Thisthingcalledlove- this sounds like a good idea. I skate at the adult sessions in Escondido at Icoplex-at the ripe old age of 44! So come over to the rink there, Mon-Fri 11:45-1:15.

The first thing I have to say about the men's competition is what is with all the greased back hair?!!! Can someone please give these guys a good haircut so they don't have to use grease. Okey now that I've discussed the important stuff lets get on with the skating.

Weir-I'm not a big fan of his style, but he sure did skate great, with such flair. And wonderful spinning!! Points off for the costume and hair, but extra points for his great skate!

Savoie-the best I have seen him skate I just wish he would open up to the audience-good job Matt!

Lysacek-I think this is the first time I have seen him skate. Too much wild arm movements but full of energy.

Gobel-what can I say? What is happening to him? It will be interesting what happens in the long and where the judges will put him.

Weiss-As much as I like Mike I wish he would make some changes to his skating. Same mistakes and very bad technique in his 3axel. At his level he should have a solid 3axel and at least one quad. I hate to say this but I think it is time he moves on. I do not like his long program this year and have a feeling he will not skate it that great, but who knows he has been able to slip by when others fail.

Bradley-I love this kid (minus the wet head). When he skates he performs! You want to take notice because he looks like he is having fun-makes you want to get out there and skate.

Ward-I wish he could of delivered what Button had gushed about. Hope to see him in the future and landing those jumps.

Good luck to all the men in the long-it will be very interesting to see what happens.

shine

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:

But yeah, yeah for Johnny, Evan and Matt. Matt is such a good skater too. What kind of made me sad last night was if Todd were still eligible and skated clean he would have won hands down. Oh well!!

Dee
I don't agree. I doubt Eldredge's program would have been nearly as interesting as Savoie's or Weir's. And Matt has everything that Todd has plus 12346t34 times more musicality and sensitivity. And remember how Todd was doing the exact same combos as Savoie? 3f/3t, 3x and 3z.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Shine or any Matt fan PLEASE help! To me Matt's arms and legs look rubbery, too loose, lack tension???? I don't know what it is but for some reason his limbs remind me of a barber pole when he skates. Does anyone else see this? What am I missing that the rest of you see ?

Piel

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just have to say that I really enjoyed all the first 3 place skates. I am so glad we have those guys coming up. I hope they do as well or better in the long.

Pookie

Final Flight
To me Matt's arms and legs look rubbery, too loose, lack tension???? I don't know what it is but for some reason his limbs remind me of a barber pole when he skates. Does anyone else see this? What am I missing that the rest of you see ?

I understand what you are saying. I agree he doesn't have a tightness or something that the others have. What I like about Matt is his artistry. He changes his spins and doesn't use the same positions that everyone else does. Things like that. I'm not a skater so I don't know the technical side of things very well.
But I just find him more interesting to watch than some of the others.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks Pookie, I'm glad that I'm not imagining things, LOL. It's really distracting to me, makes him look sloppy IMO. BTW, got your PM and WILL get back to you.

Piel

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He also looks more mature and didn't have what seemed like a constant deer-in-the-headlights look that he seemed to have previously.
I dunno, the pics I've seen he's still got that stunned look on his face like he's scare to death...

I don't see him holding on to first... I see him breaking under the pressure.

shine

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Shine or any Matt fan PLEASE help! To me Matt's arms and legs look rubbery, too loose, lack tension???? I don't know what it is but for some reason his limbs remind me of a barber pole when he skates. Does anyone else see this? What am I missing that the rest of you see ?

Piel
I see what you are saying. His arms are lose and free. And that's what I love about his arms, they are so sensitive and can curve (unlike some of the others..). Most of the skaters have arms that move in such a generic way that has nothing to do with the music. I wish my favorite Sandhu's arms could be more like that. Emanuel's arms are looking like sticks lately. I disagree that Matt is sloppy. He's one of the most precise skaters.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Evan's arms...

This is just my opinion, but it seemed to me that Evan was on the "flailing" side with excessive arm movement. To me that was a distraction to his otherwise good skating.

It was great to see some of the lesser televised guys do well. I'm still blown away by Tim's disaster skate. I really hope Tim is able to "get back" whatever he lost along the way.

There is no doubt that tomorrow will bring something exciting to watch on TV!

DG

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something in Johnny's face made me think he is mentally stronger this year and I believe he will take the title with Michael in 2nd.
Realtorgal, you & I are on the same wave length today. Most of the newbies were really great and the war horses should be ashamed of themselves.:laugh: :laugh:

Ok here is another thing I don't understand. If the TV stations only show the top 4 or 5, why did they show Timmy's skate who was in 10th place? I would have liked to have seen Derrick Delmore's program and some of the others who were placed higher than 10th. Why did they do that?:rolleye: :rolleye:

Dee