calling New York City Dwellers | Golden Skate

calling New York City Dwellers

skateluvr

Record Breaker
FIRST I hope ur all back online, and safe. NJ and New York are in my fervent prayers. I am wondering if new York is safe to travel to for a woman alone. I can take the bus into Central station then cab to hotel. But what hotel? Is everything working? My city had 1 watermain break yesterday and it shut down water in all city now we must boil water another couple days for toothbrushing and pets etc or just used bottle water. So I cannot imagine when or if Atlantic city rises again-we are not getting enough coverage really on reg stations. Hows everyone doing?

I want to go to NYC because I need a respite and it has theatre, music, etc. The holidays are very hard for many- So I wonder...is the city back up, dredged out and functioning? I also want to know where/what hotel or area is safe for a woman with a cane alone. So many hotels, there should be deals right now as many want to avoid NYC. Are there any suggestions from New Yorkers? It seems heyand and Olympia and a few others are new yorkers?

I would like to be central, not far from theatre district of lincoln center. I will see what I can find a tix too. This will require packing uber light and knowing where I will be safe-looking for a bargain-a clean 2star hotel in safe area

If you have any ideas on how I can visit the city soon-or is it a good idea at this holiday season. I would take subway if not too long and concierge/desk gave explicit help. Are cab rides outrageous? What is a 20 minute ride cost for example?

This may be a terrible year but Boston hotels are very expensive-it seemsNYC would have so many more options given its pop of 10 million and the city with hugest tourism in US.

Any help so so so appreciated. May God please bless NY and NJ!

heyang

Record Breaker
Manhatten is up and running and Times Square had very little impact from Sandy. It's the more extreme residential areas that were more impacted and it doesn't seem as though you're headed to lower Manhatten

As far as cabs, part of the cost is dependent upon traffic. If you get stuck in traffic, the cost goes up. If you entering via Grand Central and going to Times Square area, you can take the 7 or S subway from GCT to Times Square. There are elevators, but the end result is also having to walk a more circuitous route. The walk itself is a minimum of 3 long blocks west - depends on your hotel location, etc.

THis is actually entering the busy season in NYC. Lots of tourists going to shows and shopping, etc. The cheapest time to go to NYC is post holidays in January/February. that's when you get the best deals. Regardless of Sandy, the prices will not go down for the holidays.

As with any city, your safety is largely your own responsibility. You don't carry things where they can be easily snatched or picked (i.e. small purse, under a closed coat. if you can't use a small purse, make sure it's zippered and carry it close to your body. If the street looks dark and quiet with very few people, consider another route.

Lincoln Center to GCT isn't as short a walk as comapred to Times Square. Personally, I typically go for minimum 3 star in the city - 2 star would be small and not as clean as I would prefer. 3 stars won't get you a big room, but it'll be clean.

The only two things I know about New York during this season is that it is expensive and that it is packed with people. Lots of sidewalk congestion. Heyang's tips are very informative. (I think I'll follow her advice myself!) Her expertise is many rungs above mine; I have nothing to add.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks so much Heyang...Imight as well do some searches of 3star hotels to see what is available-if you have any names you have stayed in...it will be worth the credit card debt to see the tree and skating at Rockerfeller Center and I imagine one of the Baleet Companies must be doing a seasonal Nutcracker. Boston Ballet has all new sets, costumes etc and I doubt it is any less for average seats than in NYC.

And thank you also Olympia-you seem like a New Yorker - or a visitor with your love and devotion to great classical music. I am happy to hear that upper Manhattan is fine and I hope lower Manhattan is great too. We have so many disasters-the TV coverage just moves on...thank God for internet news as the eve news is filled with gosip about private lives of Generals that is nreally no ones business. Tabloid evening news is here to stay.

Well, I will look and tell you the prices. Trip advisor is a good site but large and unweildy to use. I never find any great prices looking on Expedia etc, but I would never book a hotel without knowingb where it was. I just cannot be adventurous to that extreme like well people can traveling with companion. My knees are never going to get better, and there must be something I can afford. New York is so fun at Holidays. It would be either very brave of me or foolish to attempt it. I am both brave and foolish, so we shall see. Thanks again Heyang.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If Money's an issue I'd wait till the holiday's are over... peak season prices can kill any budget.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I imagine one of the Baleet Companies must be doing a seasonal Nutcracker. Boston Ballet has all new sets, costumes etc and I doubt it is any less for average seats than in NYC.

The New York City Ballet will be performing George Balanchine's The Nutcracker starting Nov 23 at Lincoln Center.
I have no idea how much tix cost.
If you will be traveling to NYC anyway and are willing to take a gamble, sometimes discounted tix for various Lincoln Center performances are available -- *only on the day of the event* -- at this ticket office: http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/index.php/day-of-discount-tickets
(But I have no idea whether Nutcracker tix are ever discounted.)

heyang

Record Breaker
I think hotels.com lets you see which hotel as compared to hotwire, which has had pretty good deals in the past.

also, there's www.vrbo.com I've never used it, but it essentially helps you find apartments that people are willing to rent out for short periods of time. Lots of times, the apartments belong to people who go away for the weekend and decide to rent their apartments while they won't be there. It can be pretty cost effective for a couple of people to share and get more space.

If you go see the tree (which I've read is 80 ft tall before it was cut down), don't go on the weekend. It's crazy crowded.

During off peak seasons, hotels in NY have deals during the weekends. Hotels are usually well occupied with business travellers and less busy on weekends, especially away from the tourist areas. Years ago, we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Times Square on a Friday night - it was about 1/3 the price of a weeknight - keep in mind that was a LOOONG time ago.

Also, don't forget to mention any discounts you might be eligible for (corporate, AAA, AARP, military, etc.)

Sometimes you can get a good deal at a hotel that's just completed a full renovation. About 5 years ago, we stayed at the Roosevelt which is just a couple of blocks north of Grand Central and a couple of longer blocks east of Times Square. You really just have to be willing to search for the deals.

There's also the TKTS booth in Times square for show tickets. 1/2 off - cash only. You'll have a better selection during the week or for matinees vs evening. People line up a couple of hours before the booth opens to get the best available shows. However, the line moves fast; so, if you're willing to take anything, you can get on line after the booth opens.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There's also the TKTS booth in Times square for show tickets. 1/2 off - cash only. You'll have a better selection during the week or for matinees vs evening. People line up a couple of hours before the booth opens to get the best available shows. However, the line moves fast; so, if you're willing to take anything, you can get on line after the booth opens.

The TKTS booths are great :yes:, but two asterisks to the information above.

(1) Not all tix are half-price. The discounts range from 20% to 50%. 20% is better than nothing, of course, but I don't want you to be unpleasantly surprised if you are expecting the full 50% off. Check the listings at the booth carefully.
(Additional $4 service charge per ticket.)

(2) There was a time when the TKTS booths accepted cash only. But TKTS now will accept credit cards and traveler's checks for tix for most shows. Certain Off-Broadway shows are exceptions.

Lots more information about the TKTS operation here:
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Also ... some shows have day-of-performance lotteries for heavily discounted tix. Each show's own box office holds its lottery. (In other words, the lotteries have nothing to do with the TKTS booths.)
Note: The exact rules for each lottery prob. differ somewhat from show to show.

To give you a general idea, I've copied and pasted below the information specifically for the lottery for The Book of Mormon -- just as an example.

TICKET LOTTERY: A limited number of tickets for each performance will be sold through the lottery. Entries will be accepted at the box office beginning two and a half hours prior to each performance for up to two tickets.
Two hours before curtain, names will be drawn at random for a limited number of tickets priced at $32 each. Only one entry is allowed per person. Cards are checked for duplication prior to drawing. Winners must be present at the time of the drawing and show valid ID to purchase tickets. Limit one entry per person and two tickets per winner. Tickets may be purchased in cash or with a valid credit card. Tickets are subject to availability.
http://www.bookofmormonbroadway.com/tickets.php

ETA:
I forgot to emphasize that winning a ticket lottery is an extremely long shot. Many enter; few win.
But here's a real-life best-case scenario. My sister from the west coast had her heart set on seeing The Book of Mormon when she was in town this summer. The show was so popular that it did not make any tix available through TKTS. But the show was holding its own ticket lottery .... and lo and behold, my sister totally lucked out and was one of the winners. She saved over $100 per ticket.​

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks so much folks for all the good updated information. I was trying to get a recent review of whoever is starring in Wicked but it didn't seem to come up. What are the best broadway shows right now for those who have seen them? It seems like Broadway needs a blockbuster musical and has not had one. I did see a note on revival of Evita which I saw In London and Boston but it was not a good review. I love that musical, and even the movie with Madonna. My copy disappeared, tho. I will look up tix prices for Nutcracjer. It is not my favorite ballet, but I never saw the Balachine choreography. The first act is so much boring pantomime before all the great dancing in the second act. I have never been to Lincoln Center or seen NYCB so that would be so exciting. I don't think I could stand on line two hours, so unless I got lucky, I'd be paying the max for a tickeyt most likely. Is there some show or play that has gotten raves on or off Broadway? I have seen Forbidden Broadway long ago and loved it in Boston. I wonder if I would catch many of the show references.

I loved Chriten Chenowith and that tall dark haired woman-I forget her name-she became such a huge star from Rent and Wicked. Cannot recall her name right now. It must be hard to keep finding stars so many years in. Funny, I can see her face and recall her big number and nuances but forget the green witches name...Elphaba right? but ok, I got it Idina Menzel. I just adore her. It must be exciting to see a smash musical when the originals are there.

I love theatre too, but everyone's dream is to see a great Broadway Musical. Is the Lion King wonderful? I've seen bits and pieces all these years. It is overwhelming, the number of hotels just in midtown. I will look for deals on hotels.com since they tell you where. Looking at the prices, it's very expensive, but this is the time when New York looks wonderful. Money is always an object but the physical challenge is biggest. I wish I had a travel companion wanting to do this. When one is unmarried and disabled, travel is so hard. I am thinking of seeing the local shows and going to Boston is easier, but hey, nowhere is like New York. It is daunting though, and I don't want something to happen like I puit mu bag down for a second and it disappears. How is the BookofMormon. Strange idea for a theatre piece. I need to get the New York Times and peruse the Arts section. I used to do that all the time. I so envy people who can afford to live in NYC and have the money to enjoy all the fabulous things it has to offer. Here's a question-do any major museums-like MOMA have motorized chairs? Most mueseums have manual chairs but I could only do a museum with motorized. It seems like One of the worlds greatest cities with the best museums might be a step ahead. My city has a wonderful Art museum-all cobblestones-so I can't walk it. I have to use my manual chair-my idiot doctor has blocked me-that is another story-I am looking for used.

I so want to go and if I find a real deal in a hotel, then I will just do what I can at my pace. Staying 4 or 5 days is my desire-definitely not cheap. But I'd rather see some good theatre and hope I can find hotel with a restaurant-I never eat much. SO that should be a savings. I get very tired so having a hotel restaurant is impt. Thanks New Yorkers and Patrons of. This is all helping me search and make my decison.

I don't think Wicked is a show where it matters if the two leads are played by stars. I have never seen the show, but I have the recording. The lyrics are so witty that as long as good singers play the two roles, it will be a memorable experience. Famous names aren't necessary.

I hope you're able to get to New York and enjoy yourself. Goodness, you're right--it's almost the holidays. How did that happen?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Most broadway musicals do not need big stars to be good. All big stars do are drive ticket prices up.

If I were to go to NYC the Lion King would be a must see. It is NOT a disney kids show. It's a fantastically brilliant musical that goes so beyond disney. Their best work in anything since Walt died! I saw the tour, can just imagine the full scale.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Have you considered a tour for seniors of NY? Our local senior center runs a bus trip to NYC for the holidays, and the people running the tour help with any concerns people have with disability in various areas.

Another good option in visiting a city where cabs are expensive and walking is required, and we have done this, you can rent a motorized wheelchair in New York for the length of your stay. When we rented one in Washington DC, they delivered the chair to your choice of the lobby or the hotel room.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I love theatre too, but everyone's dream is to see a great Broadway Musical. Is the Lion King wonderful?

... How is the BookofMormon. Strange idea for a theatre piece. ...

If I were to go to NYC the Lion King would be a must see. It is NOT a disney kids show. It's a fantastically brilliant musical that goes so beyond disney. Their best work in anything since Walt died! I saw the tour, can just imagine the full scale.

If the cost is not prohibitive, I do not think that you can go wrong with Lion King. :agree:
A generous friend gave me tix to see it on Broadway years ago, and the staging was literally breathtaking. :bow:
Toni is absolutely correct that adults love it as much as kids do.

When Lion King was brand-new on Broadway, I was a bit of a skeptic. Had wondered whether it really deserved all the off-the-charts rave reviews -- or whether they were more the reflection of a successful marketing campaign. Years later, after finally seeing the show for myself, I understood what all the fuss had been about, and agreed 100% that the show itself is truly something special. :clap:

I don't know whether discounts are available for Lion King -- for many years after its premiere, it remained so popular that TKTS never had discounted tix. But I'm not sure whether that would still be true.

I have not seen The Book of Mormon -- but it has been an extremely hot ticket. My sister and her husband loved it.
A little caveat: From what I have heard, it does require a sense of humor about religion (religion in general, not only Mormonism). If that does not sound like your cup of tea, then maybe your money would be better-spent elsewhere. (Again, because it is still relatively new and very popular, tix might be especially pricey.)

Last edited:
I gather The Lion King is spectacular, and in a way that's very different from other live Disney musicals. Julie Taymor, the director/choreographer, used all sorts of variations of Indonesian shadow puppets and other theatrical traditions from Asia and over worldwide parts, and it is definitely not intended to be cute and cuddly. It's adult in the sense of having sophisticated artistry, though obviously it also appeals to kids. The few bits I've seen on TV are phenomenal. Hats off to the Disney Corp. for allowing Taymor to go off into such innovative directions.

I second Golden's alert about The Book of Mormon. I haven't seen it, but from what I've read, it's apparently irreverent in all senses of the word, which amuses many people but might not be worth the price of a Broadway ticket. It's adult in the sense of "lock up the kids and don't let them near this." Isn't it by the guys who produce South Park on TV? If that's your sensibility, then by all means give it a try, but otherwise it might disappoint or even distress you. You can look up reviews online to get an idea about it.

Another Disney-backed musical that's getting great feedback is Newsies, which they showed a bit of on Dancing with the Stars this week. It's a more traditional musical than Lion King but is very rousing, like the movie. It's about a real historical event (though considerably embroidered, of course), the newsboys' strike of the late 1800s. Lots of acrobatic dancing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love newsies the movie musical. It tanked in the box office, unlike its stage version... But what ive seen of it doesnt make me all that excites for it. Friends have seen it though and loved it.

Dont know if it is still playing but the stage version of the producers is aweasome. Hands down my second fav of all time! Mel Brooks is a genius!

heyang

Record Breaker
When I was in Florida, I rented an electric scooter because I need to baby my knee. It was definitely less expensive to rent outside of the theme parks vs within each them park. They have some models that can be broken down easily enough to put into the trunk of a car, as long as you are under 200 lbs. However, The problem with motorized wheelchairs in NYC is that most curbs are not wheel chair accessible and it's definitely hard to manipulate in crowds. Forget about using the chairs downtown. since some curbs are higher than others. Also, hotel rooms in NYC are small ( at the 3 star level in tourist area) and it might be difficult to keep it inside the room and move around it.

Book of Mormon is the hot show, but it's a little risque for some people. Avenue Q is an older show that has ticket available during most week days, it's a risque puppet show.

If you don't eat much, I personally like street food. Stuff like Gyros and falafels are inexpensive. The gourmet food trucks are pricier. There's an gourmet empanada truck in Times Square in front of Toys'r'Us - $10 gets you 3 small empanadas and a bottle of water. There's lots of green grocers where you can buy food by the pound. While a sandwich can be expensive, some of them are large enough for 2 meals. You'd probably save money by not eating at the hotel. You can also pack some bottled water and just bring one with you during the day.

As far as lotteries, each show is different. A group of us got lucky and 2 of us got our names pulled the 2nd time we tried for tickets. The problem with the lottery tickets is that they are usually for the 1st row and in some theaters that = no leg room and having to tilt your head back during the entire production. It is thrilling to win them, but tall people would have a really uncomfortable time sitting in the seat for the length of the production.

I haven't looked at shows in a while; so, I'm not sure what's playing right now.

Personally, I wouldn't put Lion King at the top of my list. If you've seen the movie, all of the songs are too familiar. The puppets are the most interesting part of the show, but if you've seen them before, then it's not as spectacular. Yes, I did see it, but after seeing the movie and after seeing similar puppets at a different production. Everyone I went with felt a little let down, but it's based upon our prior experiences.

It was Kristen Chenoworth and Idina Menzel who starred in Wicked. However, they have long since departed the show and gone onto other things. Right now, I don't think there are any big names in the roles, but, as others have said, the show should be more about the show vs who is in it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
While a lot of the songs are straight from the film, others put words to the intrumental... and I love "One By One" which is just acapella and doesn't fit teh movie at all... the sets were incredible. I've seen cats, grease, the producers, beauty and the beast (awful, IMO), and stuff that was not done by a broadway tour company... but they all pale in comparison. The concepts are great...

and the Elephant, while a small part and probably done before, is impressive...

I went to the one that was done in Anchorage (tour) four times... I spent close to $1000 when all was said and done (bought tickets for family to go with etc) totally would go again...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks Guys. I was going to look at NYCB Nutcracker tix. In Boston it is rediculous. Csan people spend 336 for 1 good seat? I recall when Streisand charged that a decade ago. I wanted to go so bad. That would be worth it because she was seldom in concert. Now everything has gone crazy-the prices are making performing arts for the few. Even figureskating tickets are crazy expensive, and these are amateurs not making money these days. Everything I love is becoming more remote. TV had a wonderful Whitney tribute. It used to be these type shows were commonplace. I love the music from Lion King. I guess I'd try to see Wicked. I am looking for hotels but am wondering if I am being foolish-my strength.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's funny, I think the arts are becoming easier to see. It used to be we couldn't afford the big shows up here, now the tours are more affordable for the Orchestra seats... it's great... guess it depends on where you are.