2012 TEB Ladies Short Program SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2012 TEB Ladies Short Program SP

DianaSelene

Medalist
Counter example: Caroline Zhang's pearl. Has vanished

Good try, bad example. First of all, Zhang still has her pearl. Second, she has become less flexible partly because she is not as fit and gained weight, not just because she became a "lady". Flexibility does not just vanish, unless a person stops stretching and working out. Older women such as 40-year-old ballerinas and twenty something-year-olds gymnasts are still flexible, it would be dumb to assume that with puberty "all her spins will be gone".

tulosai

Record Breaker
Good try, bad example. First of all, Zhang still has her pearl. Second, she has become less flexible partly because she is not as fit and gained weight, not just because she became a "lady". Flexibility does not just vanish, unless a person stops stretching and working out. Older women such as 40-year-old ballerinas and twenty something-year-olds gymnasts are still flexible, it would be dumb to assume that with puberty "all her spins will be gone".

I'd also like to add that flexibility is not necessarily correlated with weight, period. Gaining some weight and/or going through puberty will NOT impact someone's flexibility unless (as you say) their overall fitness goes down and they stop stretching. While some people are naturally more flexible than others, it is something that can be cultivated, maintained, and worked on if one puts in the effort. When asked about her training, Sasha Cohen once said that she spent two hours each day stretching. Her flexibility was not just some gift from god (though she surely was more flexible than most could ever be). It was something she deliberately cultivated and maintained, each day.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
koatcue said:
She is a child.A very good and promising skater.So stop, please. Where was Ashley 2-3 years ago?Nowhere. And look at her now - a top contender everywhere, a great performer...The thing is that everything comes with age and experience.Right now I admire Julia's great spirit and tech difficulty. I believe she'll progress during her life in other aspects of skating.

I'm aware of that, and I didn't mean to say anything against her potential, difficulty or great spirit. I was replying to what Mao88 wrote - Ash just being better overall because of her easier content. And that's absurd. Of course probably the main reason Ash is better is her experience, but it doesn't matter what the reason is: for now she's better overall. Maybe 20-year old Julia will be better than Ashely is now, but that's not the question.

And I'm sorry, but her age is not the all ending answer to her missing musicality - look at Liza, Adelina, little Elene now, Yuna and Mao back than... all of them had some inate relation to the music you could already see, eventhough they maybe were not capable to express it well. But it was there. And I'm not seeing that in Julia - she might develop it, but for now, you gotta rate what's actually happening.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just got to watch Mae Berenice Meite's short. Her athleticism is just amazing, with rather manly moves. This style is probably not everyone's favorite, but to me, the kind of athleticism she demonstrates, is art.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Just got to watch Mae Berenice Meite's short. Her athleticism is just amazing, with rather manly moves. This style is probably not everyone's favorite, but to me, the kind of athleticism she demonstrates, is art.

I wouldn't call Meite's moves "manly" at all. She's female through and through. She's also statuesque and powerful and she's learning how to own what she's got and who she is, no apologies.

Kudos to Mae-Berenice!

mskater93

Record Breaker
That is why Ashley never won big titles 2-3 years ago, because it took her time to develop. Julia has all the time to develop, I believe she has the potential to be great someday artistically but she is not today. Her skating skills are not so good today. She pays no attention to the music. She must be scored for what she can do in the present not for what great potential she has to be great someday. I admire her technical difficulty and great spirit too, but that has nothing to do with how she should be scored on PCS.

^^^^ THIS :thumbsup:

Mao88

Record Breaker
I'm aware of that, and I didn't mean to say anything against her potential, difficulty or great spirit. I was replying to what Mao88 wrote - Ash just being better overall because of her easier content. And that's absurd. Of course probably the main reason Ash is better is her experience, but it doesn't matter what the reason is: for now she's better overall. Maybe 20-year old Julia will be better than Ashely is now, but that's not the question.

And I'm sorry, but her age is not the all ending answer to her missing musicality - look at Liza, Adelina, little Elene now, Yuna and Mao back than... all of them had some inate relation to the music you could already see, eventhough they maybe were not capable to express it well. But it was there. And I'm not seeing that in Julia - she might develop it, but for now, you gotta rate what's actually happening.

That is not what I said. Moreover, what I actually said has been removed.

For the record, what I actually said was it's easy to perform weak content with quality - not 'better overall' with weak content.

Last edited: