2012 TEB Ladies Short Program SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 TEB Ladies Short Program SP

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols: Ashley got two level 3 spins that she typically gets level 4s on. If she got those levels, she would have been in the lead for sure. Drat!

Julia also got a level 3 on her layback( I thought it was level 5 :laugh:). I am absolutely sure Ashley will edge out Julia tomorrow

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley did what she needed to do, a good clean program. That is important, not that she was edged out by Lipnitkaya. That does not mateer at this point.

I agree. But still, it's worth noting.

And actually I'm wrong. She got level 3s on those spins at SA. But she CAN get level 4s on them. Her BV improved by a point with a better level on the step sequence.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Here are the protocols. Julia's only mistake was the flutz on her Lutz, and her PCS marks should be higher

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
got to see final flight thanks to poster who provided links - and i love the Eurosport guys so it was extra special! thanks!!!

I truly adore Ashley's SP - nice to see her really nail it. That double axel into a split jump or falling leaf is just such a lovely move! But I love the whole program and like what the commentators said about its deliberate qualities and the way everything is finished and it sort of breathes with the music. Very nice. Loved the Russians too and wow, Meite is just so awesome! Great to watch. thanks again for the link!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Hey, I'm saying that I think Ashley's PCS scores should be even a bit higher, IMHO, especially on TR and CH. Ashley is clearly a much more mature and polished skater with greater presentation skills than Lip. This sport over-rewards on jumping ability and if you can perform 3/3s with ease and are a contortionist too at a very young age, they seem to love to inflate your PCS as well.

I feel the judges would even have marked Ashley higher on PCS (as well as TES obviously) if she had completed a 3/3. They are disregarding the beautiful and graceful way Ashley completed her combo with arms overhead on the second jump (which is never given enough credit for the difficulty).

Oh ok I misunderstood.

Agree completely about arms overhead not getting as much credit as it deserves.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey, I'm saying that I think Ashley's PCS scores should be even a bit higher, IMHO, especially on TR and CH. Ashley is clearly a much more mature and polished skater with greater presentation skills than Lip. This sport over-rewards on jumping ability and if you can perform 3/3s with ease and are a contortionist too at a very young age, they seem to love to inflate your PCS as well.

I feel the judges would even have marked Ashley higher on PCS (as well as TES obviously) if she had completed a 3/3. They are disregarding the beautiful and graceful way Ashley completed her combo with arms overhead on the second jump (which is never given enough credit for the difficulty).

Ashley currently has the second highest SP score in the GP circuit, beating a whole slew of girls with 3-3s with her 3-3 less program. I'm not sure if the judges are complexly disregarding Ashley's great skating.

lavender

Record Breaker
Not a fan of Julia or Ashley but I think if Ashley is clean she should win. She skates more mature with better skating skills. Her program is better constructed too.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Not a fan of Julia or Ashley but I think if Ashley is clean she should win. She skates more mature with better skating skills. Her program is better constructed too.

Ashley is technically inferior to Julia. Julia deserved the lead today, as Ashley had no 3x3 combination. If Julia skates clean in the LP, she will win

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley is technically inferior to Julia. Julia deserved the lead today, as Ashley had no 3x3 combination. If Julia skates clean in the LP, she will win

Julia has a 3X3. Besides that, her jumps are small and her 2A is atrocious. Ashley flutzes (so does Julia), but otherwise has a lot of speed, height and flow in her jumps. Julia's spins are better, but not by a mile -- Ashley has strong spins on the whole.

The judges sent the message with such a close score that a clean Julia will not necessarily always beat a clean Ashley. As I pointed out if Ashley just did her spins to level 4 (which is a technical panel issue), which she can do, she would have won the SP. I don't think Julia has it in the bag just yet.

Last edited:

bluesky85

On the Ice
Julia has a 3X3. Besides that, her jumps are small and her 2A is atrocious. Ashley flutzes (so does Julia), but otherwise has a lot of speed, height and flow in her jumps. Julia's spins are better, but not by a mile -- Ashley has strong spins on the whole.

The judges sent the message with such a close score that a clean Julia will not necessarily beat a clean Ashley. As I pointed out if she just did her spins to level 4 (which is a technical panel issue), which she can do, she would have won the SP. I don't think Julia has it in the bag just yet.

Agreed :)

Mao88

Record Breaker

The judges sent the message with such a close score that a clean Julia will not necessarily beat a clean Ashley. As I pointed out if she just did her spins to level 4 (which is a technical panel issue), which she can do, she would have won the SP. I don't think Julia has it in the bag just yet.

The only reason the scores were close is because Julia was undermarked in terms of PCS (which I hope will not be repeated in the FS), and she flutzed her Lutz (which she normally does not do). If Wagner were to beat a clean Lipnitskaya in the LP, it would be another scandal of Osmond proportions

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
how is Liza's PCS so low, it has even regressed this season, her PCS is even below Polina K. and Julia :confused:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
The only reason the scores were close is because Julia was undermarked in terms of PCS (which I hope will not be repeated in the FS), and she flutzed her Lutz (which she normally does not do). If Wagner were to beat a clean Lipnitskaya in the LP, it would be another scandal of Osmond proportions

Julia undermarked in PCS? Compared to? I say maybe Liza was a bit undermarked in PCS compared to what scores Polina and Julia got. But Ashley was head and shoulders above the rest, presentation wise. And I agree overall with Julia being first thanks to her strong elements. But she has work to do to increase her PCS score. There is no comparison between Osmond and Ashley. And I am not a fan of Ashley by the way but today she had the best performance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I don't think so. Wagner has much, much better presentation than Osmond does currently.

Julia's PCS was slightly higher but the same as COC. They are lower relative to her junior PCS -- but again -- they are higher as a junior because her PCS mark was relatively higher than her competitors there. Seniors are a whole other ball game as far as her PCS mark.

And actually Julia has an acute flutz. Per the -GOE, it was not a severe edge, so she should be fine as long as she controls the edging.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
what a fighter Julia is for such a young age :)

nerves of steel and heart of a lion, she did really well today

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley is happy with her SP performance today. Per her twitter:

Great start to the competition tonight! Def an improvement upon SA so I'm very happy! Dinner with @jeremyabbottpcf to top off the night!

Glad that both her and Jeremy have something to celebrate tonight!

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

The judges sent the message with such a close score that a clean Julia will not necessarily always beat a clean Ashley. As I pointed out if Ashley just did her spins to level 4 (which is a technical panel issue), which she can do, she would have won the SP. I don't think Julia has it in the bag just yet.

Agree to disagree.Her spins are unique.Period.Also, the tech controller put some of her spins at level 3 - so she can improve them too))

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agree to disagree.Her spins are unique.Period.Also, the tech controller put some of her spins at level 3 - so she can improve them too))

Yep, I suppose so. Julia definitely has unique positions. Ashley does more conventional positions, but they are fast and centered, and that matters in +GOE as well.