Asada to use triple Axel later this season | Golden Skate

Asada to use triple Axel later this season

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yay! Been waiting for this. :) I think she also attempted one back in 4CC this last season, right?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I have mixed feelings. She obviously needs to increase her TES but if she's having problems rotating her easier triples I don't see how she'll pull this off.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's been a LONG time since she's had a 3A ratified. She gets lots of < as it is. I don't think she should rely on a jump she hasn't been successful with in several years.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think her last good one was 4CC 2011. I am more interested if she can rotate a flip.

miki88

Medalist
The title of this thread is a bit misleading. In the article, Mao's agent said the jump isn't left off permanently, but neither did she say she will definitely use it later in the season. The media always asks Mao about this jump, but from most recent interviews, it does appear it has become a much less of a focus in her training.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, a clean 7-triples FS without UR jumps would be a lot better than a mistakes-full program even with a good 3A...

Tanja90

On the Ice
After having seen her trainings at world championship last year and all those billions 3axel she attempted without success I really hoped she would have forget this idea of doing it....she is a gorgeous skater...she just needs to fix the rotation of her jumps and to gain consistency and the 3a is not going to give her any of these things

mary01

Final Flight
After having seen her trainings at world championship last year and all those billions 3axel she attempted without success I really hoped she would have forget this idea of doing it....she is a gorgeous skater...she just needs to fix the rotation of her jumps and to gain consistency and the 3a is not going to give her any of these things

well i think the issue she had with her jumps at COC are due to her being 3 month short of practice, so i am not worried about that. after seeing all the beautiful 3A she attempted at 2012 worlds practice, i am really looking forward to see her deliver them in competition again!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Most of the 3A attempts at 2012 Worlds practice were at best UR and worst DG. There may have been one or two that may have gotten the benefit of the doubt, but that's it. She should focus on cleaning up her other triples.

wallylutz

Medalist
Most of the 3A attempts at 2012 Worlds practice were at best UR and worst DG. There may have been one or two that may have gotten the benefit of the doubt, but that's it. She should focus on cleaning up her other triples.

I had concerns about Mao's 3A as far back as 2009 and have expressed it on several occasions, both here and on Icetnetwork. Since it was the lead up to the Vancouver Olympics, several Mao fans accused me of being a secret agenda or that I was a Korean in disguise. As it turns out, years later, this is a jump she never trully mastered. Even those supposedly three 3As at the Vancouver Olympics, I had reservations about those as well. I sometimes made the comparison to Midori Ito but that doesn't mean Mao has to do it as good as Midori. Like it or not, Midori set the standards for ladies and few have matched it since.

Mao doesn't need a 3A in a field like this - her focus is to rebuild herself or she won't even be on the podium at the next Olympic Games.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mao doesn't need a 3A in a field like this - her focus is to rebuild herself or she won't even be on the podium at the next Olympic Games.

I think Mao needs EITHER a 3/3 or a 3A to medal, because she has 3 very weak jumps (Z, S, T). If she could maybe do a 2A/3T well, forget about the 3A, she could still do a 7 triple LP and that would be competitive. The fan in me would like to see her do the 3A, because I find her skating a bit listless without the excitement that comes with that risky element.

At the end of the day, I think she will try it. She has already won multiple WC and an OSM. She clearly wants that OGM and I suppose she needs to take the risk to pull that off.

Macassar88

Medalist

Although a > 3A is still worth a lot of points right? More than some easier triples that she might also get UR's on?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
If I'm not completly mistaken there were reports about Mao practicing the 3A as part of her FS before JO - in exchange for the 2A-3T. So it's not really suprising to hear she might try it again later in the season.
Besides, there was a video of one of her 3As too, and it looked clean to me. And if she manages to stand up on it, even a > is not that bad. Pretty sure she's going to take the risk, and I like it.

Maybe Mao is really going for a 8-triple FS :)

mary01

Final Flight
If I'm not completly mistaken there were reports about Mao practicing the 3A as part of her FS before JO - in exchange for the 2A-3T. So it's not really suprising to hear she might try it again later in the season.
Besides, there was a video of one of her 3As too, and it looked clean to me. And if she manages to stand up on it, even a > is not that bad. Pretty sure she's going to take the risk, and I like it.

Maybe Mao is really going for a 8-triple FS :)

Mao probably knows her condition the best, and when she feels ready to put it back in her arsenal, she definitely should. I will be sooo rooting for her, I think Mao's 3A is the most beautiful of all the ladies who have done the jump in past history! it would be such a waste if she didn't put it back when it's ready!

I really look forward to see her skate in NHK!

babayaga

On the Ice
The title of this thread is a bit misleading. In the article, Mao's agent said the jump isn't left off permanently, but neither did she say she will definitely use it later in the season. The media always asks Mao about this jump, but from most recent interviews, it does appear it has become a much less of a focus in her training.

Exactly. Mao is much more focused on other aspects of her training now, but the only thing that journalists care about is that one jump, and it also makes the title. She may or may not do it, and her side is not the one who brought it up. Mao herself actually mentioned that they are planning to work on 3F-3T with her coach in one of her interviews after COC.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Exactly. Mao is much more focused on other aspects of her training now, but the only thing that journalists care about is that one jump, and it also makes the title. She may or may not do it, and her side is not the one who brought it up. Mao herself actually mentioned that they are planning to work on 3F-3T with her coach in one of her interviews after COC.
3F+3T? I think 3F+3Lo would be better: considering that is very probable that she'll often get a < whatever she tries of these two, the 3F+3Lo BV is higher

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
3F+3T? I think 3F+3Lo would be better: considering that is very probable that she'll often get a < whatever she tries of these two, the 3F+3Lo BV is higher

True, but her solo 3T is awful. If she can rotate it at the end of a 2A or 3F, she would then be able to do 2 other 3L's, which is her best jump.

mary01

Final Flight
Mao sometimes URs the 2lo at the end of combos.

well Mao is THREE MONTH short of practice give her time to regain her good form, and i think if she added the 3f-3lo it's safer for her, because then she would have to attack the whole combo more, I watched her practice clips and most of her 3f-3lo attempt looked fully rotated to me, so i wouldn't be surprised if she decides to add it in the near future!