A partner for Omaha | Golden Skate

A partner for Omaha

So I hope you're going to give a competition report again, so we can feel like vicarious eyewitnesses. One of the great things is when all of the GS "reporters" give accounts of actually meeting the skaters. They make me jealous (in the nicest possible way) and are such fun to read about.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So I hope you're going to give a competition report again, so we can feel like vicarious eyewitnesses. One of the great things is when all of the GS "reporters" give accounts of actually meeting the skaters. They make me jealous (in the nicest possible way) and are such fun to read about.
I have a semi-smart phone now. Maybe I could send e-mails to Mrs. P or Doris and they could post them here? And I might even have a tablet with me!!!!
I would be good at posting general items of interest, like watching Ashley tweet on her phone about the German beer hall music in the rink at the start of the day....I know a few skaters and coaches but I dont feel right about forwarding their comments to me to the web unless I ask them. But some things I can. For instance, when Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT had the back of her lower leg sliced open at SA-Kent, I had to ask her coaches how bad the wound was (superficial, thankfully). It was pretty scarry.
I will leave the real skating commentary to those that know something!
Chris who will do some human interest stuff.

Thanks, Chris and Doris.

Don't worry, Chris. You never have to post anything you don't feel comfortable sharing. Just saying you saw thus-and-such skater and that she seems like a nice person and is patient with fans is enough. Or just saying, "Wow, I just saw Caroline in practice!" gives us the feeling of being there. Find your own "reportorial voice" and be true to it, and that's enough for us.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks, Chris and Doris.

Don't worry, Chris. You never have to post anything you don't feel comfortable sharing. Just saying you saw thus-and-such skater and that she seems like a nice person and is patient with fans is enough. Or just saying, "Wow, I just saw Caroline in practice!" gives us the feeling of being there. Find your own "reportorial voice" and be true to it, and that's enough for us.
OK...could have some fun with this at Nats and Worlds....
Here is a sample....at Spokane 2007, Brian B. and his entourage sat down in front of me. I whispered to the lady who was next to me that BB had just sit down in front of us. She thought I was kidding and gwaffed....anyway, the mothers of little girls started to come up and bring their daughters over to meet him, and Brian being Brian, he was very gracious. After the second autograph, I whispered to him, "Run Brian Run!" He turned around and gave me a great laugh and said, "Really!" I turned to look at the lady who doubted me and she was in shock! :)
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/skating/BB.jpg

What fun! Whenever I see photos like this, I realize that though skating must struggle for attention as a sport, we fans are a lot luckier than football, basketball, or baseball fans, because skaters are so much more accessible than star athletes in other sports. In basketball, only Spike Lee or Jack Nicholson can chat with the players, while we are an important part of many skaters' support system.

>giggle<

I'm sure that's true. I wouldn't go up to just anyone and talk, but I've felt perfectly comfortable approaching any number of people to ask, "Is that a King Charles spaniel/Bedlington terrier/mastiff/(fill in the blank)?" or just to say "What a beautiful dog."

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Very true...when I was young and scared to death of women, I saw my "first wife to be" sitting in a car with two German Shepherds. I asked her, "What does your husband think of those dogs?" (she wasnt married).
We were married a year later.....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Finally found a partner to go to Omaha with me....but she knows more about skating than I do!
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/Cleveland/malinoisskatingcoach.jpg

Gorgeous Malinois. :love:
Have a good time in Omaha, Chris. I look forward to your human-interest reporting.

ETA:
This photo suggests that Ashley Wagner has a weakness for pups too :):
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/272783559931088896
I wonder whether they all belong to her?​

>giggle<

I'm sure that's true. I wouldn't go up to just anyone and talk, but I've felt perfectly comfortable approaching any number of people to ask, "Is that a King Charles spaniel/Bedlington terrier/mastiff/(fill in the blank)?" or just to say "What a beautiful dog."

Same here. ;)

One of my favorite canine anecdotes:
Recently I was riding an elevator in a mall with two cute dogs who had some resemblance to each other, although one clearly was larger than the other. Both had light-colored fur, but of slightly different shades and slightly different textures. Their shapes of their faces and ears looked slightly different too.
I heard myself asking their human companion, "Are they related?" He didn't say anything right away, and seemed to be struggling to decide how to answer, so I rephrased my question. "I mean, you're the dad for both. And are they related by blood too?" Then he sheepishly laughed, and replied right away, "No, but you see how bad it is ..." :laugh: Adorable.

Last edited: