2012 NHK Men's Short Program SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Men's Short Program SP

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ITA with your every assessment, especially about Ricky. Only if he could up his darn consistency:(
Is Ricky turning into a headcase now? The chance to become the number one man in the US is right in his plate and he acts like he doesn't want it. Abbott is near the end i think and Miner just isn't ever going to be a champion internationally and Rippon well the less said the better. Until the new guys show they are ready Dornbush should be in a better spot heading into Sochi then he is.

kimganos

On the Ice
Well, Yuzuru got 43.36 in PCS at SA, so I wouldn't call his 42.29 here inflated. But people just seem to love the home inflatation argument.

Anyway, I'm soooooo happy for Javi, Yuzu and Dai!
Dai wasn't at his best, but way better than CoC. Javi went clean and performed nicely, but I just can't seem to really get into his program.
And of cousre the highlight was Yuzuru with that amazing performance. Everything looked great, I liked it more than SA and I was so curious to see if he really would get such a high score again.
I think the score is fair. Javi has the same jumping content, but Yuzuru won it on GOE, plus his better spins. And his speed is so much better too.

Now I'm so excited for the free!! :love:

ITA! Yuzuru's skate was flawless! So much talent in the men's field! Setting up to be an amazing Olympics in Sochi!

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Just watched the 3 videos, 9 points between Hanyu and Fernández seems exaggerated to me and Fernández should be in second place in my opinion.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Hanyu is amazing but he does not have the refinement or air of confidence and surety as much as Dai or Patrick - yet. Give him time. His marks do seem high COMPARATIVELY to Dai, Fernandez and skaters like Chan. There is a difference between being a fan and looking critically at the skating. He is amazing; especially his short and ana amazing entrance into the axel but one entrance does not make a skater. We'll see how he does in the in the FS - the programme isn't as strong as his short.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I enjoyed watching the performances from Hanyu, Takahashi and Fernandez very much! In my opinion Fernandez should be on 2nd place, because Takahashi looked nervous and was not close to his best.

flaneur

On the Ice
I think Hanyu is amazing but he does not have the refinement or air of confidence and surety as much as Dai or Patrick - yet. Give him time. His marks do seem high COMPARATIVELY to Dai, Fernandez and skaters like Chan. There is a difference between being a fan and looking critically at the skating. He is amazing; especially his short and ana amazing entrance into the axel but one entrance does not make a skater. We'll see how he does in the in the FS - the programme isn't as strong as his short.

ITA. this is not to diminish hanyu or his performance in any way... But I really do think his SS is not quite at the level of dai, kozuka or chan to warrant his world record scores... I feel like I might be missing something the judges are seeing.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I agree. His components marks are too high compared to Takahashi's.

Adeliza

Rinkside
ITA. Those three plus Chan, Kozuka, Abbott and the other top men's skaters are making this discipline so awesome right now.

Exactly. What other sport can combine athletism and artistry in such a fascinating way? None, if you ask me. Wolrds next spring and Olympics in Sochi will be amazing, just because we have so many fantastic men skating right now.

bixby

Final Flight
I agree. His components marks are too high compared to Takahashi's.

Not in the eyes of the judges obviously. Brian is doing a good job representing him. But he should not be allowed to travel with so many vodkas in his suitcase. Regardless of what we see, he has all of them judges liquored up! :yes::yes::yes:

Yup, no need to argue. Just rewatch them videos with a few shots and you'll agree more and more with the judges.

Nothing serious here, just being silly! :laugh::laugh:

Luv the top three. Let the best man (or kid) win... It will be an interesting long to say the least.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Yuzuru, Daisuke and Javier :love:

About the components scores: I believe Daisuke deserves more on interpretation and choreography but hey... what do I know? There was one judge that gave him only 7.75 for interpretation.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Just saw the top three skates. I really think that Hanyu deserved the scores he received. He's got a great program down pat with hardly a blemish. He seems to have developed good consistency with his short. Javier was pretty amazing as well and better than Takahashi, but that the size of Hanyu's lead is correct (IMO). The free skate will be interesting. If Hanyu beats Takahashi on the free skate, there is going to be a big shift in how (generally) people rank Chan's rivals. (Although I really love watching both Hanyu and Takahashi skate at the same event, I kind of wish that they had not pitted these two really amazing skaters against each other at this point of the season. If Takahashi does not do better than Hanyu on the FS, he loses really big is what I am trying to say. This event really matters for long-term psychology and reputation.)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^I agree with everything you wrote. It must have been extremely hard for Daisuke today skating after Yuzuru. I love Daisuke, and I hope that this won't put him down too much, but I'm wondering....and his free this season doesn't have the quality of last season, imho. :(

I loved Daisukes step sequence, sooo good. Unless Yuzuru bombs again ála Skate America I think it will be hard to beat him.

Last edited:

Lunna

On the Ice
:laugh: Well, not all guys are into real thinigs. That's why the world has Haute Couture and jeans, Cuisine and food, gems and bijouterie, etc. Choosing some lousy blue, especially after Dai's Blues, was indeed the most mocking thing for Yuzu that Orser&Co could come up with.

Well, I don't agree, I think it's my fav SP this year (and Javi has great FP), I like Yuzuru's blues a lot, maybe it's not a masterpiece like Dai's blues but still very-very good programm *fingers crossed for good FP*

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Hanyu: :love: At SA, I think he was a bit overscored but seeing this kind of performance again it's just magnificent! I really hope he skates a good FP and wins this, he deserves it absolutely! He's such an immense talent! (I think I'm going to change my answer in the thread about who could between Chan and Yuzuru win if they both skate at their best... :laugh:)
Daisuke: I'm sorry to say this and I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but he looked a bit "less" artistically, compared immediatly after Hanyu, but maybe it's just because of the technical mistakes... However, I don't really like his programs this yeat but his step sequence is still the best in the world!
Fernandez: I'm happy he finally landed that 3-3 cleanily, but he has to work on his spins... I noted that there are a lot of movements similar to Hanyu's in his choreography: "Orser style"? :biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not in the eyes of the judges obviously. Brian is doing a good job representing him. But he should not be allowed to travel with so many vodkas in his suitcase. Regardless of what we see, he has all of them judges liquored up! :yes::yes::yes:

Yup, no need to argue. Just rewatch them videos with a few shots and you'll agree more and more with the judges.

Nothing serious here, just being silly! :laugh::laugh:

Luv the top three. Let the best man (or kid) win... It will be an interesting long to say the least.

Huh? I missed something. Vodkas? How does Joubert have all the judges Liquored up? I missed something.