2012 NHK Ladies Short Program SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Ladies Short Program SP

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Personally I prefer Mao's "heavy" music programs, but I can still enjoy her SP this season. Skaters should be not judged on the "appropriateness" between their age and program, but on whether the skater performed to the music and program. Part of figure skating is acting. Who would say a 42 year old Nicole Kidman shouldn't play a lady in her 20s in a movie, because it is not her actual age? On the contrary, if she acts well as a 20 year old, that's good acting.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Skaters should be not judged on the "appropriateness" between their age and program, but on whether the skater performed to the music and program.

ITA. It's refreshing to see a skater do something different that the standard elegant, refined ladies program. That footwork section at the end was amazing and earned many +3 GOEs from the judges.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
And Mao looks like she has fun! So why not skate a fun program once in a while? Maybe she lost a bit of her enjoyment the last 2 years with the heavier stuff, but she is shining so much right now, it seems so much fun. And she can always add difficulties, if she feels more confident.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Almost 68 points for Asada with no 3-3 and skating to a Junior program? This program would have been fine for her back in 2005 but not now.

ITA. It's refreshing to see a skater do something different that the standard elegant, refined ladies program. That footwork section at the end was amazing and earned many +3 GOEs from the judges.

It's definitely a program that would suit-- say-- someone like Mirai more. However, Mirai does too much of these kinds of programs anyway; so I'd love to see her branch out.

It's certainly not my favorite short program from Mao, but I agree with drivingmissdaisy. It's really nice to see her doing something different seeing that she usually only does heavy/dramatic or refined/balletic programs. Her Scheherazade short program from last year had a whimsical and magical quality to it and I can see shades of that in this program. It's rare to see such smiles from Mao throughout the duration of her programs, and it's something I can definitely appreciate.

Her footwork sequence was quick, fun, and full of positive energy; I really really liked it! She looks like she's actually having fun out there; did you see the big, big smile on her face after she was done? :)

If not, well, here's a link ;) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQVsEJYhL_A

loren

Rinkside
Almost 68 points for Asada with no 3-3 and skating to a Junior program? This program would have been fine for her back in 2005 but not now.

If you compare the protocol from cup of china to NHK, the point difference came mostly from 3F<+2Lo(4.8) to 3F+2Lo(8.0), and PCS (31.06) to (32.25).
There's really not much to be crying out for.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think Mao's program is bad not because it's "too Juniorish", but because the choreography is uninspired (the beginning of the program is particularly empty and without movement that truly characterizes music), the spins are poorly matched to the music (especially the Layback!), and Mao herself looks rather ungainly and unnatural in some of the positions/movements she has been asked to attempt. This is 3 seasons in a row that Mao has been given a lackluster/bad SP.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Commenting only on the Americans, as usual -brief thoughts

Great job by Nagasu, especially holding onto the 3-3 at the end! Also glad to see her going for it- she knows she needs it to be competitive in this field. She's in prime position for 2nd if she delivers, and perhaps even 1st if the stars line up.

Unfortunately, Zawadzki is most likely out of GPF contention now after that short. She needed a win here, I think, and obviously that will not happen now. (Actually, even if she nailed her SP, I'd be doubtful due to her history in the FS)

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love Mao's big smile but not the SP. I love her program with Jeff Buttle, and the SP after that. She looked great in the fancy pants. I hope next year she try something similar to that and have great fun.

Mao rocked it! (Well, she swung it.)

♪ I...got my girl, who could ask for anything more! ♫

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Mirai really lets its go in that performance....she's like a different person from last year. Great job. Good swing feeling.

wallylutz

Medalist
Is it just me or some fans put too much personal preference in juding a skater's program, as in the steak is too well cooked or not? To me Mao Asada really delivered a great program and skated very well. Whether the style is likeable or not is a matter of personal taste, some like more classical style while others, prefer more relaxed or fun programs. It really shouldn't matter. I am happy with the way Mao Asada is delivering her performance, her chosen style really doesn't matter. Now, it's a fair thing to say for example, X skater's interpretation isn't entirely suitable, for example, when some people expressed the Carmen played by Katelyn Osmond is not as mature as she could have been, and noted some of the arm movements or extensions that do not entirely reflect the level of maturity that goes with the music. That would be fair and not a subjective statement.

Let's see how the LP turns out.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
1. Mao Asada - One, Two
2. Mirai Nagasu - One, Two
3. Zijun Li - One
4. Ksenia Makarova - One, Two
5. Akiko Suzuki - One
6. Elene Gedevanishvilli - One
7. Agnes Zawadzki - One
8. Sofia Biryukova - One
9. Haruka Imai - One

PROTOCOLS: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn2012/gpjpn2012_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Thank you aftertherain! And thanks to everyone for pbps! I have to work all weekend long so I'll have to play catch up after the ladie's LP.

So very disappointed for Agnes-but thrilled for Mirai! I'm interested in seeing the protocols. Surely her score would've been a bit higher but for the saved 3/3 (AWESOME that she's going for 3/3's this season btw!). Mao's SP-not among my all-time favorite of hers but she is still always a delight to watch.

Dreaming of a win and GPF for Mirai but not too hopeful. I hope she just skates great and places. I also hope she has worked out those UR's and two-foot landings that plagued her at her first GP LP! GO MIRAI! :rock:

bluesky85

On the Ice
Well I am not sure she "landed" was the problem with Mirai (and hence off the podium) LOL. I do hope Mirai makes it clear is she a player or not but I guess like many skaters her career is like a roller coaster and the issue is will she peak when it counts. That's probably the story of a skaters life. Evan peaked at the right time. Skaters like Kwan, Browning, Stojko and Orser are all skaters who probably deserved OGM for one reason or another but never peaked or got the judges break at the right time. They have shown promise and consistency but they didn't do it at the olympics. Whereas skaters like Lipinski, Hughes, Arakawa, Evan and maybe even Baiul all peaked at the right time. I can see someone like Joubert, Javier, or one of the Japanese men peaking at the right time and getting a medal at a cost of maybe "career skaters" Takahashi or Chan. Life isn't fair and what's fair is in the eye of the beholder.

Very well said. I couldn't figure out how such legends like Irina, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, etc. could allow other skaters to have the olympic gold medals. I mean, Lipinski, Hughes, Arakawa were all amazing skaters but I would like to think that Irina Michelle, Sasha have more weight in the history of figure skating. But then what you said makes so much sense. They weren't able to show their best at the right moment. As you said, they didn't "peaked" at the right time.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Very well said. I couldn't figure out how such legends like Irina, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, etc. could allow other skaters to have the olympic gold medals. I mean, Lipinski, Hughes, Arakawa were all amazing skaters but I would like to think that Irina Michelle, Sasha have more weight in the history of figure skating. But then what you said makes so much sense. They weren't able to show their best at the right moment. As you said, they didn't "peaked" at the right time.

What do skaters do to try to peak at the right time? Or is it something beyond their control?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Live Results web page
Sorry

StN. Name Nation
Warm-Up Group 1
1 Sofia BIRYUKOVA RUS

2 Zijun LI CHN

3 Haruka IMAI JPN

4 Agnes ZAWADZKI USA

Warm-Up Group 2
5 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS

6 Mirai NAGASU USA

7 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO

8 Mao ASADA JPN

9 Akiko SUZUKI JPN

doris, i cannot access this page...help please?

Last edited by a moderator:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
ASADA: I really enjoyed her program today! But her 3F was clearly UR, you can see it in slow motion, so I expected a score similar to the China's one, but maybe the technical panel didn't want to disappoint the wonderful audience! ;) Her step sequence in this program is, I think, the best I've ever seen from a girl after Kostner's 2010 SP!!
NAGASU: I'm so happy that she's think kind of consistent this year, and that she landed a clean 3-3! She looked a lot more mature on the ice, and she had a lot of transitions, I wonder why her PCS is lower than Gedevanishvili and Makarova... :confused:
LI: she's so lovely!!
The others: sad for Suzuki's mistake, but Makarova is really showing her best this year, she could maybe make the Euros team if she keeps skating like she did today?

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 67.95 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 61.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Zijun LI (CHN) - 59.62 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS) - 58.93 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 58.60 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 57.50 Short Program
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 55.02 Short Program
8. Sofia BIRYUKOVA (RUS) - 49.31 Short Program
9. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 48.10 Short Program

mskater93

Record Breaker
What do skaters do to try to peak at the right time? Or is it something beyond their control?

There's a training regimen for skaters to peak at the right point in the season, but other things can throw off the ability to put out the best possible program on that one night (physical, psychological, environmental...)