2012 NHK Pairs Short Program SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Pairs Short Program SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So happy for Marissa and Simon! They finished 7th at this event a year ago -- how wonderful would it be that they got a medal this year?!

DianaSelene

Medalist
One judge had some very questionable GOE choices for B/L. He gave them minuses on everything except for 3 elements. A -1 for the lift?????? While another judge gave them +3 on that same element?? Uh, ok. :rolleye: I don't ever remember them getting negatives on cleanly-executed lifts.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Denney and Coughlin aren't exactly chopped liver..

No. Intriguingly, at this point, D/C are 7th on the season's best list. Osmond is... 7th on the season's best list. So D/C are about as viable pair as Osmond is a viable lady for Canada. If not moreso given that they have more experience and senior success.

gold12345

Medalist
One judge had some very questionable GOE choices for B/L. He gave them minuses on everything except for 3 elements. A -1 for the lift?????? While another judge gave them +3 on that same element?? Uh, ok. :rolleye: I don't ever remember them getting negatives on cleanly-executed lifts.

I don't understand that either. I also think +2s are too high for B/L's throw since she really had to eke out the landing. And also, weren't M-T/M's SBS spins rather out of unison, or am I remembered incorrectly? I was surprised to see a couple +2s. Overall, I think the results are pretty accurate, but I am once again puzzled but some of the GOE these judges award.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No. Intriguingly, at this point, D/C are 7th on the season's best list. Osmond is... 7th on the season's best list. So D/C are about as viable pair as Osmond is a viable lady for Canada. If not moreso given that they have more experience and senior success.

And actually neither is C/S! They just past D/C with their SP today for spot No. 7! :)

ETA: At least in the short program...we'll see what happens in the FS.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
And actually neither is C/S! They just past D/C with their SP today for spot No. 7! :)

ETA: At least in the short program...we'll see what happens in the FS.

I can see C/S overtaking Donlan/Speroff for US#2. Or, even #1 come Nationals.

I feel kind of sorry for Mark Ladwig. He looked very disappointed in the K&C, but forming a new partnership a year before the Olympics is HARD!

auser

Record Breaker
Well, I wasn't on my own computer, and since I couldn't access in IE, Firefox, Opera, or Chrome, must have been some sort of firewall setting...which I didn't want to mess with. Now back on my own laptop and the site is working, but I missed the pairs and now bobsledding is on! Hopefully NHK will be back when the Men's starts. Thanks all for the assistance.
Glad it is working for you. It looks UK Eurosport is planning on showing NHK Pairs SP after they show NHK Men's Free Skate, so you might have another chance to see it. Streaming links will probably pop-up for those events.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can see C/S overtaking Donlan/Speroff for US#2. Or, even #1 come Nationals.

I feel kind of sorry for Mark Ladwig. He looked very disappointed in the K&C, but forming a new partnership a year before the Olympics is HARD!

As far as I'm concerned, C/S is looking good for U.S. No. 2. I think Donlan/Speroff needs to watch their backs for Scimeca/Knierim. S/K is also a new team, but they have showed consistently good results in their short time together.

I like Lindsey Davis, but I think it's tough to fill the shoes of Amanda Evora. When I see this pair do lifts, I miss E/L a lot more.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Donlan/Speroff would be a podium worthy team for me if they could jump. A shame, but oh well.

Speaking of the team event (and I'd argue it's a four nation race with France), I'd love to know the strategy behind some of the picks.

tulosai

Record Breaker
She's looked like that for several years now. It's somewhat incredible she has enough strength to be such a good skater.

I do wonder if she is just not naturally muscular/has a hard time putting on muscle though. She looks freaky thin, no argument, but I worked with anorexic/truly malnourished people for a time and she doesn't have any of the characteristics we were told were major red flags other than her weight. Her calves are not larger than her thighs, her hair doesn't seem to be falling out, and she doesn't ever actually look like she feels weak or dizzy. I'm kind of inclined to think this is just her body type, freaky as it looks. Of course, though I hope I'm not, I could be wrong...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
As far as I'm concerned, C/S is looking good for U.S. No. 2. I think Donlan/Speroff needs to watch their backs for Scimeca/Knierim. S/K is also a new team, but they have showed consistently good results in their short time together.

I like Lindsey Davis, but I think it's tough to fill the shoes of Amanda Evora. When I see this pair do lifts, I miss E/L a lot more.

That's true about S/K. I had never seen them before this event and they were better than I was expecting. I guess there are also Yankowskas/Reagan in the mix too, although with an injury and being a new team I'm not sure what kind of contenders they'll be.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's true about S/K. I had never seen them before this event and they were better than I was expecting. I guess there are also Yankowskas/Reagan in the mix too, although with an injury and being a new team I'm not sure what kind of contenders they'll be.

Yeah, there's not much to work off of regarding Y/R.

I saw D/S live at Skate America and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Yes, they have great line and pretty positions, but they definitely lacked presence and power that I saw from D/C and C/S (who were at that competition as well).

S/K was a nice surprise when I watched their summer comp videos. I honestly think that they could overtake D/C in a few years with some experience and a little bit more consistency on jumps (and I mean little, they generally land their jumps, but I've seen some little jump errors in past competitions).

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I do wonder if she is just not naturally muscular/has a hard time putting on muscle though. She looks freaky thin, no argument, but I worked with anorexic/truly malnourished people for a time and she doesn't have any of the characteristics we were told were major red flags other than her weight. Her calves are not larger than her thighs, her hair doesn't seem to be falling out, and she doesn't ever actually look like she feels weak or dizzy. I'm kind of inclined to think this is just her body type, freaky as it looks. Of course, though I hope I'm not, I could be wrong...

I'm honestly not sure about her. Lubov Iliuschechkina looked 'worse' to me, since her head and hands were so much bigger than the rest of her body.

tulosai

Record Breaker
regarding Vera's weight, she was never that skinny before
here is a Video of them when they were still juniors back in 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqgs3sBtaQ

she lost a lot from her legs, why she wanted to lose more I have no idea
to get their nice triple twists they have today ?

I actually think she looks pretty much just as thin in that video but maybe I am just not a great judge. In addition, I think she's grown taller since then so that may have resulted in her body thinning out slightly.

Again, I really don't know what's up with her weight/health but I don't assume she is unhealthy.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I actually think she looks pretty much just as thin in that video but maybe I am just not a great judge. In addition, I think she's grown taller since then so that may have resulted in her body thinning out slightly.

Again, I really don't know what's up with her weight/health but I don't assume she is unhealthy.

I don't either, Im not saying she is anorexic/eating disorder
just showing that in that video, no, she had clearly was more filled than today, maybe the body changes did that, genetics or she is simply petite

Qin Pang and Yuko Kavaguti are as thin as Vera imo

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't either, Im not saying she is anorexic/eating disorder
just showing that in that video, no, she had clearly was more filled than today, maybe the body changes did that, genetics or she is simply petite

Qin Pang and Yuko Kavaguti are as thin as Vera imo

I actually thought Qing Pang looked SLIGHTLY heavier recently, although she's still very thin, of course.

gold12345

Medalist
Vera was also 14 in 2007... You would think she would fill out a little more by 20 years old, not go in the opposite direction! Even if she doesn't have any sort of real eating problem, she really must not eat much at all to have dropped weight from when she was a skinny youngster.

samson

Medalist
Side note: I can't hear Liebestraum (B/L's music) without thinking of All About Eve. I have that issue when Mao skated to that music too.

OMG I just had a flash vision of a skater skating to that song dressed at Bette Davis. That NEEDS to happen. It would be the most fabulous train wreck ever. I should really become a figure skating choreographer...