Injuries & Ills: 2013-14 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Ills: 2013-14

LRK

Record Breaker
Various things have made me wonder lately, if it mightn't be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to injuries & illnesses? A place to easily get updates on skaters' conditions, and keeping up with who's injured, recuperating &c? The info is otherwise spread all over the forum, on a dozen different threads, and it can be difficult to keep track.

So, starting off; Plushy's recently had surgery, which renders his participation in the NRW Trophy highly doubtful.

I guess everyone's having his or her surgery this year to get it over with before the Olympic season. And of course, sometimes the problem is unforeseen, like Evan's hernia. Gaak! Reading this thread is going to make us think that skaters are dropping like flies. But it's helpful to know what's what, so thanks for starting this thread.

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, I know - I'm hoping there'll be some "doing great, rearing to go" news/updates to balance things a bit.

LRK

Record Breaker
Apropos dropping like flies...

Poor, poor Daisuke Murakami! Does anyone know what exactly happened, and how he's doing? I felt for him so.

centerpt1

On the Ice
There really needs to be a list somewhere so we can keep track.

The PBR used to have a list on their website listing the Bull Rider, the injury, date of injury and how injured, date expected back on circuit /or if still competing while injured.

For example:

Lysacek, E unspecified groin injury during training, Oct 2012, Hernia Surgery Nov 21 2012, Not competing until after Jan 8, 2012
Abbott,J unspecified back injury at Skate America, Oct 20, 2012, competing
Weir, J ACL injury and unspecified hip injury, Nov 10, 2012 at Rostelecom Cup practice, out of TEB, competition status undetermined

ccullen101

Spectator
Daisuke Murakami partially dislocated his shoulder.
Also, Jorik Hendrickx broke his ankle at TEB

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, all of you! With such an international forum such as ours - and varied fanbase - I think we have a great resource to tap into, to keep us all up to date with the latest developments.

I just saw this:

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20121126/632846601.html

So, Plushy won't compete at NRW. About the surgery itself, from a Plushy-interview (posted elsewhere on the forum by plushyfan):

"I recently returned from Germany, where I had scheduled medical examination. I had a little surgery - they put the catheter in my back, cleaning the spine. So now I need to control... "

What about other injuries? Does anyone have any recent (or recent-ish) updates on - for instance:

Narumi Takahashi?

Sui Wenjing?

Alissa Czisny?

Aliona Savchenko - is she recovering/recovered from her illness?

Julia Lipnitskaia - her ankle?

Any updates on Song Nan - hopefully his competing at TEB hasn't had any ill-effects?

Anyone else?

And lest anyone feels that this is a terribly depressing thread - a thought: I think that there is something good to be got of it; namely that we can truly come to appreciate the skaters and the struggles they go through, to achieve what they achieve. They are the reason we all love figure skating, and congregate on forums - and can share our love for the sport, and apppreciation of the skaters, and the joy and excitement they bring us. So - to the skaters! :)

noskates

Record Breaker
LRK - I, too, think this thread is worthwhile. Sometimes it's so hard to get information on skaters as to why they aren't skating, IF they're going to skate, etc. I appreciate the knowledge base that's brought to this forum.

Whoa - Plush has his spine cleaned? That doesn't sound good at all. Eeeeyewww.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Denis Ten ‏@Tenis_Den
Darn foot! Went to skate today but couldn't even step on ice. :-/
9:29 PM - 28 Nov 12​

Sorry, I don't recall the details of Denis Ten's injury, but in recent weeks, he has been tweeting updates such as the latest one above.

(As an aside, Jeremy Ten also is still struggling to recover fully from his injury, I believe. :eek:hwell:)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What about Rachel Flatt? How is she doing? Cynthia Phaneuf though she retired is she fine - maybe she knew Osmond was coming on strong?

Aesthetics

Rinkside
This is a good thread to keep us updated. So many injuries this season. I hope the skaters will recover well.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Apparently Julia Lipnitskaia hit her head during practice on Wednesday and suffered a mild concussion; she's withdrawn from the GPF. This was brought up in the Ladies GPF entries thread, but I figured it was appropriate to post it here.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, pitterpatter - yes, that's precisely what I meant - poor Julia! - I for one am far likely to go to this part of the forum first, and the various comp-threads later, time allowing.

And thanks golden411 - Poor Denis, too! Yes, I remember that there was an injury which accounted for his disastrous showing at his last GP (which I'm totally blanking on what that was, this moment... ), but I've also forgotten what it was precisely.

Hoping for speedy recovery for both of them - and all our "patients"!

Oh, dear. Sorry to hear about Julia and Denis. Glad Julia isn't ignoring the concussion; can you imagine how she would feel during jumps and spins? Wow, figure skating isn't for sissies.

russell30

Final Flight
So, I was reading the GPF preview:

http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/12/2012-13-junior-grand-prix-and-grand-prix-final-preview/

when this caught my eye - about Kiira Korpi:

"It is unknown whether or not the European silver medalist will compete due to a back injury. "

That's the first I've heard about it - anybody else know anything?

I was shocked too to hear about Kiira, cannot find anything on the web or her official website about this. I hope she is ok she was likely to be the favourite for Europeans oh Kiira hope your okay!!!!

russell30

Final Flight
Talking of injuries

Ira vannut looks like she is out again this season, ira was so promising.

Yrethe silete, she is out this season, anyone know why?

Kexin Zhang, any news on her?