Injuries & Ills: 2013-14 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Ills: 2013-14

LRK

Record Breaker
I've really been neglecting "my" little thread (Awww! pats thread reassuringly), but I came across this article:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130419&content_id=45216452&vkey=ice_news

which made me think of digging it up. It is an article on French skaters that - among other things - contains an update on Yrétha Silété's progress, also a word or two on Fabian Bourzat, that makes it relevant to this thread.

Also, as always, any info on injured/recovering skaters always welcome and gratefully received. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully the rash of injuries that we saw this season won't happen next Olympic season.

LRK

Record Breaker
In this interview Konstantin Menshov talks a little about his injury:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/arti...72683373801_5095814_500112383369831#f1793280a

"I've just returned from Nice (France), where we had a training camp, but for me it was more (about) rest and recovery. There, I first went to the ice after the injury. I've tried to skate very carefully and almost without working with my injured shoulder.

Honestly, I was afraid that [returning to the ice] could be far worse after nearly a month break, but in the second training session I felt that I could do a quadruple jump even if I hadn't had the injury. The doctors told me not to make any abrupt and sudden movements in the shoulder until early June. In general, the recovery is going well, but, unfortunately, the shoulder sometimes still hurts. So, I'll continue visiting the hospital in order to continue my recovery process."

As always, if You have any news or updates on injured skaters - please share!

moon

On the Ice
I have heard from several people that Paul Poirier broke his ankle this spring. Has there been anything written about it in the media that I have missed? I would really like to know how his recovery is coming along and when he can expect to be skating again.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have heard from several people that Paul Poirier broke his ankle this spring. Has there been anything written about it in the media that I have missed? I would really like to know how his recovery is coming along and when he can expect to be skating again.

Re: Poirier status?

Thanks for the news, moon.

FWIW, this morning @KharisRalph tweeted a photo of Poirier. He is sitting on a bench, and to my eyes, looks as if he could be rinkside? But his feet are not visible, so cannot tell whether he is wearing skates. And no indication when the photo was shot. Could have been taken this morning, or in recent days, or in the distant past, ... or ???
Athletes be dope, yo @PaulDPoirier #swag pic.twitter.com/tgLzFLAdP4
5:22 AM - 11 Jun 13
https://twitter.com/KharisRalph/statuses/344429450764640256

(BTW, in the photo, Poirier is knitting. :cool: I love a man who is not shy about his needlework. :love:]

Nigel

On the Ice

I thought his partner, Piper Gilles, skated in the show with Johnny Weir in Jamestown, NY. Was Paul skating with her at the show?
From Gilles's postings on social media, looks like she has been back in Colorado a lot of recent, and she mentioned that she would be back there in June as well.
So, perhaps Paul is still recovering.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought his partner, Piper Gilles, skated in the show with Johnny Weir in Jamestown, NY. Was Paul skating with her at the show?

FWIW, I had noticed that in Weir's lengthy blog about the Jamestown show, he thanked Gilles by name ... but did not mention Poirier. The implication to me is that Poirier was not there.
(And Poirier did not appear among the Jamestown photos accompanying Weir's blog, although Gilles did.)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh dear, this is not looking good at all. I really sense in ice dancing the flow is with the Americans - they can do no wrong. D and W, C and B and the Shibutanis. Canada looks rocky with Weaver and Poje and Virtue and Moir. V and M need to recommit and get some great piece. In my mind thye can go do a classic and deserve to win in some ways because they have pushed the envelope and streatched themselves. though I like D and W and kind of want them to have gold imho they have skated too safe to o same for years. But life isn't fair - failing injury D and W are our next OGM.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(1)
I believe Piper and Paul are scheduled to perform in the Skate for Hope Show in Columbus, OH this weekend.

I do not see Poirier in this cast photo taken at Skate for Hope, although Piper Gilles is in it.

Does anyone know whether Poirier skated in Columbus?
Or if not, was any information on his injury/recovery officially announced?

(2) BTW, speaking of ice dance: at the end of May, Madison Hubbell fell on a three turn and hit her head.

According to her IN blog of Jun 7, per doctor's orders, she could not skate in shows on two weekends. But she was scheduled to return to the ice this past week.

This past week, however, I was a little clumsy and fell on a three turn. Embarrassing, I know! I smacked my head, and although the doctor has said I will be fine, he wants me to take a little break for my brain to heal. ....

I had to cancel our show last weekend in Oakland, since show lights and spinning wasn't a recommended activity. And this weekend is the annual show at the Detroit Skating Club. The doctor didn't want me to participate in the show either ...

As I get back onto the ice, and back into my nanny duties next week, I will start my next blog. ....

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130607&content_id=49920016&vkey=ice_news

moon

On the Ice
As reported by Madison Hubbell she is recovering from a concussion....tricky business.

I haven't seen anything reported by Poirier which is odd because he and his partner have been quite aggressive up to now with marketing themselves. However, I have been told by several people that attended a skating event on May 4 in Mississauga, Canada that it was announced at the event that Poirier would not be skating because he had fractured his ankle the day before in practice. So, he would be about 5 weeks into recovery. If his rehab is anything like Kaitlyn Weavers he hopefully will not have too much to worry about. An unfortunate beginning to the Olympic season for both of these teams. It is so coincidental that both dances teams that are contenders in the U.S. and Canada for the third Olympic position are injured. It will be most interesting to follow their recovery and see if it has any affect on their season. H/D are skating at Skate Canada and G/P are at NHK and Rostelecom. Luckily these injuries have occurred early on.
I would expect that H/D have had time to have their choreography completed but G/P only announced their music a week or so before his accident.

Best of luck to both teams.

joeperryfan

Rinkside
... I haven't seen anything reported by Poirier which is odd because he and his partner have been quite aggressive up to now with marketing themselves...

I was directed to this thread when I asked about Paul in another forum, I was finding his absence from scheduled shows odd and I was beginning to wonder about what was happening. I agree with you that it's odd that neither of them has mentioned anything on Twitter, I mean, getting injured is something that happens in sports regularly, I wonder if it could be some contractual restriction, since they were booked for shows perhaps they couldn't say in advance they weren't going... I'm just guessing.

Nigel

On the Ice
(1)

I do not see Poirier in this cast photo taken at Skate for Hope, although Piper Gilles is in it.

Does anyone know whether Poirier skated in Columbus?
Or if not, was any information on his injury/recovery officially announced?

(2) BTW, speaking of ice dance: at the end of May, Madison Hubbell fell on a three turn and hit her head.

According to her IN blog of Jun 7, per doctor's orders, she could not skate in shows on two weekends. But she was scheduled to return to the ice this past week.

This past week, however, I was a little clumsy and fell on a three turn. Embarrassing, I know! I smacked my head, and although the doctor has said I will be fine, he wants me to take a little break for my brain to heal. ....

I had to cancel our show last weekend in Oakland, since show lights and spinning wasn't a recommended activity. And this weekend is the annual show at the Detroit Skating Club. The doctor didn't want me to participate in the show either ...

As I get back onto the ice, and back into my nanny duties next week, I will start my next blog. ....

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130607&content_id=49920016&vkey=ice_news

Paul did not attend Skate For Hope. He is about 5 weeks into recovery following an injury to his ankle.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And now he has done triple Axels! :eek:

Forget any other comeback. The moment he completes his first full programs in competition, it will seal the deal as one of the greatest comebacks in the history of figure skating.

deedee1

Record Breaker
And now he has done triple Axels! :eek:

Forget any other comeback. The moment he completes his first full programs in competition, it will seal the deal as one of the greatest comebacks in the history of figure skating.

:jaw: