Injuries & Ills: 2013-14 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Injuries & Ills: 2013-14

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I heard from a reliable source Chris Kneirim had to have surgery on his ankle the other day. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

@ChrisKnierim
Walking is a wonderful thing!!!
3:46 PM - 16 Jul 13
https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/status/357269961997168642

Alexa Paige Scimeca⭐ ‏@lexxapaige
#perseverance #nevergiveup #unstoppable @ChrisKnierim pic.twitter.com/g44EhxpPdt
9:21 AM - 18 Jul 13
https://twitter.com/lexxapaige/status/357898025219260417
In the photo, Knierim is seated, and the cast on his right ankle is visible.​

lcd

Match Penalty
Oh my, I didn't enjoy this thread. Only the posts where people updated with signs of healing and recovery made me feel better. Keep on healing everyone !

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For lcd and anyone else, another little item on the healing front:
John Coughlin mentioned in his July 1 blog that he has recovered 100% from his injury.
(Although this "news" is old, I don't know whether it was previously noted in any other GS thread?)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks golden411 for the information on John Coughlin. I was just wondering how he is doing. Pairs at Nationals is going to be brutal!

LRK

Record Breaker
John Coughlin mentioned in his July 1 blog that he has recovered 100% from his injury.
(Although this "news" is old, I don't know whether it was previously noted in any other GS thread?)

I don't know if it was either - but one cannot have too much good news. Thanks, golden411. :)

@lcd - It isn't about enjoyment; but there are injuries, and I believe that we, as figure skating fans, should be aware of that, and the effort and grit and struggle the figure skaters put in, to pursue the sport, and give us fans the enjoyment we derive from it. I see it as their due.

twirlingaround

Rinkside
Thanks golden411 for the information on John Coughlin. I was just wondering how he is doing. Pairs at Nationals is going to be brutal!

Caydee and John will be the Team that can put the US on the Podium at the Grand Prix's and on the World Stage! Glad to hear he is back and ready for the season because the US needs them! US Pairs over the next few years has a lot of potential! Teams just need to stay together. GO US PAIRS, So exciting and Nathan and Felicia will be in there for sure to get the second spot, they have the whole package and they will just keep getting better and better.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caydee and John will be the Team that can put the US on the Podium at the Grand Prix's and on the World Stage! Glad to hear he is back and ready for the season because the US needs them! US Pairs over the next few years has a lot of potential! Teams just need to stay together. GO US PAIRS, So exciting and Nathan and Felicia will be in there for sure to get the second spot, they have the whole package and they will just keep getting better and better.

I don't think John and Caydee are the team to get on the Podium in the next couple years. They lack certain things which i don't see getting fixed. They skate pretty clean internationally but never threaten the podium even on the GP. John's skating skills are suspect and Caydee has some of the worst positions of any Lady in Pairs and isn't paticularly graceful. I see Scimeca/Knierim as possibly the number one team heading into Sochi and i think they have great potential. They have the look the skating skills and grace and i can see them being able to match D/C with the big tricks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I see Scimeca/Knierim as possibly the number one team heading into Sochi and i think they have great potential. They have the look the skating skills and grace and i can see them being able to match C/D with the big tricks.

I hope Knierim's injury does not hold Scimeca/Knierim back from living up to their potential.

LOL, did not realize that this mention of Coughlin would get a few responses.

So I have gone back to look up the paragraph from his blog:
I'm 100-percent healed from my big injury that sidelined us during such an exciting season last year. Feeling like my old self again made me conscious of the fact that my body may have been compensating long before pain let me know that something was wrong. It feels so good to be on the other side of that hurdle, but I am more aware now of my own mortality as an athlete. None of us are guaranteed a certain amount of "sport life." It was never in my nature to be a nervous competitor, but this year should be extra enjoyable just to have the gift of training and competition back once again.
http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Winter-Bloggers/John-Coughlin/One-Bite-At-A-Time-Part-III (July 1)​

lcd

Match Penalty
@lcd - It isn't about enjoyment; but there are injuries, and I believe that we, as figure skating fans, should be aware of that, and the effort and grit and struggle the figure skaters put in, to pursue the sport, and give us fans the enjoyment we derive from it. I see it as their due.[/QUOTE]

Hi LRK. Oh I know, I know ... I shouldn't have posted the way I had. Didn't want to be misinterpreted. I was more reactive/emotional/cringing than trying to say something as concrete as "I only want to hear things that fans can enjoy" Not by any means. My daughter struggled with injuries when she skated and watching the grit that she and other athletes have to go through just sort of breaks my heart. That is the "I didn't enjoy cringing and feeling a fan's or parents' worry" sort of thing, is all. Sigh.

LRK

Record Breaker
@lcd - It isn't about enjoyment; but there are injuries, and I believe that we, as figure skating fans, should be aware of that, and the effort and grit and struggle the figure skaters put in, to pursue the sport, and give us fans the enjoyment we derive from it. I see it as their due.

Hi LRK. Oh I know, I know ... I shouldn't have posted the way I had. Didn't want to be misinterpreted. I was more reactive/emotional/cringing than trying to say something as concrete as "I only want to hear things that fans can enjoy" Not by any means. My daughter struggled with injuries when she skated and watching the grit that she and other athletes have to go through just sort of breaks my heart. That is the "I didn't enjoy cringing and feeling a fan's or parents' worry" sort of thing, is all. Sigh.

Oh, no, I didn't take it as criticism of the thread - I did believe you meant that it was very painful reading emotionally for you! I just wanted to reiterate - I believe I said something similar in the beginning of the thread? - one of the main reasons why I think it's important. I hope I didn't come across as sounding too... curt - sometimes it's difficult to be sure that one has conveyed "tone" properly across the internet, is it not? :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt:
"We had some setbacks this month with injuries, but we are recovering well."​
They did not provide details.

ETA:
Quote above is from first installment (Aug 1) of their blog.
Second installment (Aug 2):
"Our physicals were quick and painless, but it was beneficial to talk to the doctor and fill him in on our most recent ailments. We had some minor setbacks last month, but have been proactive in staying on top of things. It was good to hear a different opinion on how we can continue to recover and are thankful for this opportunity."​

Source:
Lynn and Logan's blog from Lake Placid 2.0
American ice dancers share LPIDC adventures for second straight year

On a lighter note, I love this line from their blog:
"For those of you who haven't had the experience of staying at the OTC [Olympic Training Center], we'd say it's kind of like Hogwarts for athletes, minus the magic."​

~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:
I hope Knierim's injury does not hold Scimeca/Knierim back from living up to their potential.

Good news: Seems that @ChrisKnierim returned to the ice within the last day or two.

Big day today!!!!!!!
6:34 AM - 30 Jul 13
https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/status/362204646573486082

Ice skating here I come!!!
#TheReturn
8:12 AM - 31 Jul 13
https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/status/362591624032821248

Nice little warm up before skating :) pic.twitter.com/CMrIRd6p7w
7:54 AM - 2 Aug 13
https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/status/363311862865072128

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA, more good news (cross-posting from Gilles thread):
Poirier is back on the ice. :)
Verified by tweet from @PiperGilles.
Not clear when exactly he returned to the ice.​

LRK

Record Breaker
Lynn Rutherford‏@LynnRutherford1h
From MZoueva: Lindsay Davis had a training accident the day before camp resulting in several stitches to her head so no SP for DavisBrubaker

Lynn Rutherford‏@LynnRutherford1h
More Champs Camp: "Lindsay and Rockne may skate some tomorrow," Zoueva said. "The injury doe not seem serious but still we are careful."

LRK

Record Breaker
The parts pertaining to injury from a recent Plushenko interview:

"- Now your back does not bother you?
- It bothers, of course. Because of this, my participation in test skating is questioned. Now we have started to work out complex elements, jumps, I did quadruple toe loop, so I need to take care about my back. Of course back still bothers, but not as bad as during the early stages of preparation - at the training camp in Italy and Estonia. There it hurt very badly. Now everything is stabilized, but the problem did not go away completely. Two days ago, we talked with Deputy Sports Minister Yuriy Dmitrievich Nagornykh in Sochi and agreed about a serious medical support. I have really huge desire to practice and skate. As Alexei Nikolaevich Mishin said: «Плющенко еще не искатался…» («Plushenko hasn't been exhausted, tired of skating yet» or «hasn’t reached his limit») And I myself feel – I can. The main thing is to heal all the sores finally. My back injury is the only thing that can prevent me from achieving a good result at Sochi Olympics."

"I have had many operations - knees, groin injury, achilles, hands... None of that bothers me now. Still after the 12th operation - on the back - I have not yet fully recovered. But I hope and believe that I’ll recover, get in good shape and manage to end my career with dignity at home Olympics!"

The link to the interview in its entirety was posted by plushyfan here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...geni-Plushenko&p=760586&viewfull=1#post760586