Les Mis | Golden Skate

Les Mis

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen an early pirated copy, LOL? What are the reviews? Christmas day. I am so excited about this movie, and it is such an incredible book, play, musical, etc deserves it's own thread. I hope Crowe can sing, and while I'm a Hathaway fan as an actress, and she seems a nice person, I think her singing is not up to what we expect of fantine. I have no idea who plays little or gown Cosette.

I think expectations of this movie will be so high, as it should be. I guess I know I'll be disappointed after seeing Colm Wilkinson, the various super singer Fantines. I guess people must go with big names to get musicals financed, but in this case, it seems half the world has seen Les Mis the musical on stage or the anniversary concert versions. The music, the story is so beloved, I think it would be huge if they went with the best musical talent they could find, and even those who played parts on the big stages.

I just hope i don't see Hathaway wreck, "I dreamed a Dream." I cannot find someone I liked better than Ruthie henshall as Fantine in the first anniversary concert. I watched it on PBS over and over and it brought me through the winter i recall. And Lea Salonga playinging two Eponine and the Fantine )or was she the grown up Cosette?) someone help me please. I saw the 25th version once. If I hate the movie, I'll be looking to but the concert DVD 25th version.

Is there anyone here as excited as me about Les Mis? I'll bet Coyote Chris, Tonichelle, Olympia, Heyang and more could easily be dragged out Christmas day! I know no one THAT excited except me. I almost afraid to read the pre-views. But I'll bet folks here have-what are they saying??? (she asked breatlessly!)

Only a skating movie starring our favorite skaters at their peak could get me to a theatre!

I almost never get to movies, but this one is very tempting, isn't it? I can't remember who Lea Salonga played, but she did indeed play two roles in different productions. I think Anne Hathaway may rise to the occasion. Remember that she sang for the Oscars, and she actually has a lovely voice and has trained as a singer. So it's not going to be like that film of Man of La Mancha where Sophia Loren sang in tune and that was it, as Aldonza. (And Peter O'Toole was Don Quixote! Eeek.) Of course Hugh Jackman sings wonderfully. So Russell Crowe is the unpredictable one to me. I think he has a rock band, but in my experience, Javert is generally good, and in fact he is often the better singer of the two leads, so one hopes that Crowe can keep up with Jackman. I wonder whether Ramin Karimloo, the charismatic Canadian who has performed in all the big musicals in London, is featured in this film.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'll probably go see it, but not on CHristmas Day.

Here's Ann singing a spoof off On My Own to Hugh jackman at the Oscars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8WI4o3b_N0 I think she'll be fine and there's always auto-tune.

Amanda Seyfried, of All My Children and Mamma Mia, etc fame, plays the grown up Cosette.

rosacotton

Final Flight
I'm looking forward to this, though I fear I may be disappointed with the singing having been spoiled by previous recordings!

Lea Salonga played Eponine in the 10th anniversary and Fantine in the 25th anniversary concerts.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Touche! I want to see this and I cant believe no one has ever made a movie of this show till now.....I also want to see Lincoln in the theatre. Skyfall I can see on DVD. The hobbits must be seen in the theatre...."What's its got in its pocketses????" An Olympic Gold Medal?" Maybe I should get dressed up as Gollum for Omaha? That would look great in the front row! Naaaa...I pretty much look like Legolas with a mustache....a very old Legolas...;)
(as for the singing, they have amazing technology as far as audio manipulation today....)
Has anyone seen an early pirated copy, LOL? What are the reviews? Christmas day. I am so excited about this movie, and it is such an incredible book, play, musical, etc deserves it's own thread. I hope Crowe can sing, and while I'm a Hathaway fan as an actress, and she seems a nice person, I think her singing is not up to what we expect of fantine. I have no idea who plays little or gown Cosette.

I think expectations of this movie will be so high, as it should be. I guess I know I'll be disappointed after seeing Colm Wilkinson, the various super singer Fantines. I guess people must go with big names to get musicals financed, but in this case, it seems half the world has seen Les Mis the musical on stage or the anniversary concert versions. The music, the story is so beloved, I think it would be huge if they went with the best musical talent they could find, and even those who played parts on the big stages.

I just hope i don't see Hathaway wreck, "I dreamed a Dream." I cannot find someone I liked better than Ruthie henshall as Fantine in the first anniversary concert. I watched it on PBS over and over and it brought me through the winter i recall. And Lea Salonga playinging two Eponine and the Fantine )or was she the grown up Cosette?) someone help me please. I saw the 25th version once. If I hate the movie, I'll be looking to but the concert DVD 25th version.

Is there anyone here as excited as me about Les Mis? I'll bet Coyote Chris, Tonichelle, Olympia, Heyang and more could easily be dragged out Christmas day! I know no one THAT excited except me. I almost afraid to read the pre-views. But I'll bet folks here have-what are they saying??? (she asked breatlessly!)

Only a skating movie starring our favorite skaters at their peak could get me to a theatre!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wow, thanks Heyang! Now I'm truly excited. I actually have three movies I want to see...Argo, Lincoln and les Mis. I may go Christmas day. I love this musical. I think of what i have seen, only Phantom and Evita come close. Oh, and Godspell, which I wish i could have been in,. I did do two musicals (singing/dancing-too terrified to audition for speaking part) and would have joined local amateur theatre were I physically able. So my tow credits are Guys and Dolls (a hotbox girl) and Little mary Sunshine-again-the chorus. I would be happy being a broadway gypsy-Chorus Line is another favorite. zI would love to see a musical about Marilyn. Maybe it will happen as a result of SMASH- Gosh I wish they were not delaying the season.

I hope I don't forget-someone remind me-tomorrow on Lifetime, Liz and Dick starts at 9 pm. Fascinating couple. I don't care much for the Lohans but they say she does well as Liz Taylor. She does look transformed-it must have been hard to try to find someone who looked remotely like the young Taylor. What a life she lived. I cannot imagine-the jewelry was among the very top private collections in the world. I wish I were like her---she used her youth and beauty to get what she wanted. She lived life to the maximum. Maybe not very admirable in husband stealing, but she did a lot of good with aids. She and I have the same spinal condition-but she had the help to remain in her home all her life. I have mixed emotions about her, but wish there were many more movies/miniseries about these amazing creatures. I guess by Hollywood child star standards she was prolly very understandable.

I saw a great 1991 Whitney concert for the troops and she seemed relatively normal, very loving. It is just amazing how some handle fame and money so well, and others go crazy. I am a sucker for golden hollywood biopics-wish there were more-no end to fascinating people-crazy yers-but fascinating.

Here's the trailer.... and the movie got a standing O at a pre-screening. Oscar buzz in the air.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/23/les-miserables-screening_n_2181475.html

Man, that is some powerful trailer. Anne Hathaway's voice sounds splendid, and the settings look very dynamic.

One problem I have in judging the theatrical version is that I've only ever seen the anniversary concert versions, the 10th and the 25th anniversary productions. In those, people just stand in groups and sing. Is that what always happens in the stage productions? Or do people actually portray characters in action, moving around onstage like typical musicals and plays?

Either way, this film looks like a wonderful example of an epic musical, something we haven't seen in quite awhile onscreen.

heyang

Record Breaker
One problem I have in judging the theatrical version is that I've only ever seen the anniversary concert versions, the 10th and the 25th anniversary productions. In those, people just stand in groups and sing. Is that what always happens in the stage productions? Or do people actually portray characters in action, moving around onstage like typical musicals and plays?

The anniversary concert is very different from the stage production. That concert was a literal concert.

A stage production is limited to what you can do with settings on a stage and what you can do quickly to change the scenery. Since the theater scenes aren't as dynamic as within a movie, it sometimes makes it a little difficult to follow the storyline, which is why I always read the synopsis in the Playbill.

In Les Mis on stage, the revolution was portrayed by cast members marching on a moving conveyor - it's the only means to portray such a dynamic scene within a smaller than life stage. A moving conveyor with a 'boat' is also used within Phantom of the Opera.

There was another show where the setting was the Nile River - they accomplished this by casting lighting onto the stage floor as the desert sand and the moving river - however, the effect was lost to the people sitting in the 1st 5 rows of the orchestra because those seats were below stage level. I was fortunate to be up on the unoccupied side stage and was able to see all - those were student rush tickets. Other people paid full price for front orchestra and they moved back a few rows after intermission (It was an older show on a Friday evening, so there were a lot of empty seats.)

A lot of people prefer front row seats, but my experiences make my preference 5th - 15th row as close to center as possible. Oh, and if you ever get tickets to Phantom, make sure they are not underneath the balcony.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There was another show where the setting was the Nile River - they accomplished this by casting lighting onto the stage floor as the desert sand and the moving river - however, the effect was lost to the people sitting in the 1st 5 rows of the orchestra because those seats were below stage level. I was fortunate to be up on the unoccupied side stage and was able to see all - those were student rush tickets. Other people paid full price for front orchestra and they moved back a few rows after intermission (It was an older show on a Friday evening, so there were a lot of empty seats.)

A lot of people prefer front row seats, but my experiences make my preference 5th - 15th row as close to center as possible. Oh, and if you ever get tickets to Phantom, make sure they are not underneath the balcony.

The same issue happened at The Lion King for us.

In another direction, I watched about fifteen minutes of Liz & Dick, that TV movie about Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, with Lindsay Lohan. Complete miscasting of Lohan! She has the wrong face, the wrong voice--entirely too girlish, which Taylor never was. For some reason, possibly because of our discussion here and possibly because they're now playing the commercial for Les Mis every hour or so, I started to compare Lohan with Anne Hathaway, who also began as a very young actress. The stark difference between someone who knows how to use and stretch her talent and someone who is wasted in both senses of the word is so sad.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Man, that is some powerful trailer. Anne Hathaway's voice sounds splendid, and the settings look very dynamic.

Either way, this film looks like a wonderful example of an epic musical, something we haven't seen in quite awhile onscreen.

I saw Les Miserable on London west end again mid this year and it is still an great piece of work. Nothing from the team matched it since in epic scale and heartfelt felt sincerity in addressing multiple personal stories since.

The film is getting incredibly buzz at its first screening with whispers of Oscars for the director and Anne Hathaway as a best supporting actress.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/les-miserables-wows-first-screening-393758

And this just made it even cuter today thanks to Jackman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=InciyqWhyCI

I already love Jeremy's version (just need to clean it and some polish), so I will certainly be looking forward to the Movie version and especially Yuna's version. They will be epic :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that, Johar. Fortunately, there will eventually be a DVD.

I found another YouTube video of Anne Hathaway singing. Even if she dubbed this earlier and was lip-synching (don't know whether they perform the tributes at the Kennedy Center Honors concert live or dubbed), it's still incredibly impressive. It sounds live to me, though. What a beautiful tone her voice has, and just the right amount of vibrato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7ZD9Gvf_Q

Last edited:
Ooh, very impressive.

Hugh Jackman has some swell voice, doesn't he? Plus looks, charm, acting ability...What, did he win three or four genetic lotteries?

The same with Anne Hathaway. One of the greatest beauties of her generation of actresses, can perform comedy and drama with equal adeptness, and here she unveils this voice. Well, we are all the beneficiaries. What a viewing experience this promises to be.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes, the voice is good, though she is a film actress, and I don't know how'd she'd fare in the stage production, but nice voice. One thing I hated was when they cast Madonna as Evita. My neice stole my movie, so I have not seen the VHS in years. Don't know if I would buy the DVD. Madonna actually did well with the singing, in studio then dubbed. It was the one thing I can say I liked her in. I am not a Madonna fan-her talent was workout music, I'd never pay to see a live show, and her egomania-maybe abated with age always bothered me. But Evita was not bad. But if you had seen Elaine Page on the stage as Evita, which I did, well...ur gonna be meh with the film version. I also think I saw mandy Patimkin in maybe a concert version? Or maybe just clips of him as Che in the Broadway version with a singer I love whose name is stuck-she originated the broadway Evita. That cast albumn too disappeared, rueful smile. I was upset they did not cast her and mandy for the movie. Antonio wasn't bad, but...

I agree Anne is very good and while I don't find her beautiful classically, she certainly was a smashing bride. I love her acting...Devil wears Prada is best comedic piece in years-3 great ladies plus stanley tucci to boot.

I wish I could recall the famous woman who got shafted from broadway 'Sunset Blvd' cuz they wanted Glenn Close star power, but she -Ok Patti Lupone_ u can see my recall is big issue and scary to boot. Lupone was lightyears away from madonna and I will never forgive them for casting her and not Lupone. banderas is not a singer, so mandy Patimkin was screwed out of that. He was famous for doing Yentl with Streisand. I think Holllywood comes up with 5 or 6 Oscar worth movies a year. And musicals are generallly blockbusters, so why won't they do more?

Motown generation, there is a Motown musical opening in the spring. You are so lucky Heyang to be there. Maybe we could organize a GS meet in Manhattan in the spring. The music is all hits. Berry Gordy is writing the book. It has smash written all over. To be limited by a body that cannot do!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And musicals are generallly blockbusters, so why won't they do more?

The new musicals have not all done well... most of the big stage hits have already been made into films, you're talking remakes. And they don't bring in as much money as the Marvel Comics made into movies do...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're so behind in our seeing current/recent movies, but we are definitely looking forward to Les Mis. Loved Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries (along with my beloved Julie Andrews) and The Devil Wears Prada. The trailers look good!

We're so behind in our seeing current/recent movies, but we are definitely looking forward to Les Mis. Loved Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries (along with my beloved Julie Andrews) and The Devil Wears Prada. The trailers look good!

It's too bad that Princess Mia's character in the Princess Diary movies was established as being a bit clumsy in things so that she couldn't get to sing a duet with Julie Andrews the way Raven-Symone got to do. (That duet was a lovely scene in the second movie.) I know that Andrews' voice was no longer at its best after her surgery, but she did sing, and a duet with her and Hathaway would have been fun to hear. I know that the second movie wasn't as well-shaped as the first one, but there was a charm to it that makes me return to the DVD when I want a feel-good experience. There are little touches such as the moment when everyone is sliding down the stairs on mattresses, and the youngest princess has an adult holding her securely as they slide. Another Hathaway movie that shows up her abilities is Becoming Jane, wherein she portrays Jane Austen in an imagined incident (based on real characters) from that author's early life. I generally have an aversion to faked British accents (can't stand watching Renee Zellwegger doing Bridget Jones--can't get through the movie), but Hathaway does the job so subtly that she melts into it. She and a favorite actor of mine, James McAvoy (also "doing" the upper-class British accent, as he's a Scot), make a splendid pair. I can't wait to see her as Fantine, though I'm sure I'll be covering my eyes for most of her scenes, as they're so sad. Hugo was like Dickens in that he wanted to call the literate class's attention to what was going on in the very streets they walked in their fine cities.