Les Mis | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Les Mis

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I saw the stage production of Les Mis a few years ago here in Vancouver and was blown away. I liked it even better than Phantom which was playing around the same time. I do hope the movie version is as good. It will be pretty hard to top the theatre version.

heyang

Record Breaker
The new musicals have not all done well... most of the big stage hits have already been made into films, you're talking remakes. And they don't bring in as much money as the Marvel Comics made into movies do...

I agree with you. Some musicals have been successful, but definitely not blockbusters. LOL - other than the High School Musical series, I really can't recall a 'hit' musical in the movie theater. Actually, wait, there was Hairspray the remake and Mamma Mia.

I've never seen Mamma Mia on Broadway, but I've watched various pieces of the movie with my nieces. Definitely not the strongest musical cast.

Hairspray was also fun, but I think it got most publicity for John Travolta in drag and Zac Efron.

There was also a 2nd film version of Phantom Of the Opera, but I don't think it was musical. Tom Cruise also recently starred and produced Rock of Ages.

Overall, none were huge hits - they did well enough.

Every now and then the timing, casting and story are 'right' enough to create something iconic - i.e. Grease and Dirty Dancing (technically not a musical)

Les Mis has the music and the cast to be a bigger box office draw than the others. Hugh Jackman is a known triple threat as star of the Boy from Oz on Broadway, multiple box office hits (and some not hits), and host of the Oscars multiple times.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chicago and Moulin rouge did well boxoffice and oscars... and the phantom of the opera as a musical and did well, too.

heyang

Record Breaker
I did see Chicago at the movies and Broadway. I enjoyed Broadway the most - starred Bebe Neuwirth and Marilu Henner at the time. LOL - I remember the flashing lights in the movie really bugged me - a bit too frenetic for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of Moulin Rouge the 1st time I saw it, but liked the music. I guess I forgot about it since I don't remember it being on Broadway (although it might've been.)

and now I remember Dreamgirls with Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson. The movie definitely had a gifted cast - beside the two ladies already named, Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy and Anika Noni Rose. I'd never watched on Broadway.

So, for now, Dreamgirls is likely my favorite recent Broadway musical turned movie. I noted 'recent' because I'll alway enjoy watching the Sound of Music and other Rogers and Hammerstein movies and Judy Garland films.

I'm with you about Judy Garland musicals, Heyang. What a voice that lady had (one of the voices of the century, many would say), and she was brilliant at comedy besides. They had a great roster of stars at MGM during her years there, and she puts just about all of them in the shade. And when paired with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire...magnifique. Gee, even paired with someone whose name I can't remember (in The Harvey Girls), she is the gold standard.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It is something when someone just stands and sings, Judy, Barbra, Liza, on and on.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Saw the trailer for Les Mis at the threatre today.....watch for the battle of the oscars between this and Lincoln. BTW, I dont want to be a wet blanket, but with digital audio "enhancement", you are not hearing Ann Hathaway's exact singing voice. I saw the process of what they (the audio engineers) do on a news show...I am not trying to be critical, but the fact is they could take MY singing and make it sound good now....
Chris the Phantom of the skating arena

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I rented Sparkle-glad I did-last Whitney song, gospel in church. I recommend it. The one with Streep as a sex starved housewife-very dull-and sad for some reason, just cliche.

Lovely!

I'm not thrilled by the song, but I like the idea of it, and it's nice to contemplate a Les Mis song that belongs only to Hugh Jackman. How lucky are we that this charismatic actor is also such a good singer. And as one of the commenters wrote under the article, it's a whole lot better than some of the recent songs put up for Oscars. Remember "It's hard out there for a pimp"? Eeeewwww. I believe the word pimp was "rhymed," so to speak, with the word rent. That song might even have been the winner its year. Ick.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
60 minutes tonight! (or if you misss it, you can watch it on the web)
Hugh Jackman - Scott Pelley profiles the Australian actor known for his "X-Men" role as Wolverine, but who now says he's doing the "role of a lifetime" as Jean Valjean in the film adaption of the musical Les Miserables. Ruth Streeter is the producer.
http://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/up-next/

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This movie just reeks of acadamy award nominations....I saw the Hobbit (mild disappointment) and Lincoln (great) but I think Mis is gonna rake them in.
I think it is fine that she (Anne) likes her short hair....its her hair and no one elses... I dont like it but I dont count. It will be interesting to see what kinds of rolls she gets in the future....so this is 40....

I think Anne Hathaway is one of the most talented actresses of her generation, and that she'll only get better. She's beautiful, she can do comedy or drama, and she sings like an angel. The only way she can top that is to discover the cure for the common cold.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, we agree on her talants, although as I say, unless you hear her in person, we have no idea if she can really sing...maybe she can, maybe she is so so and the audio track is massaged.....she is certainly a very talanted actress and beautiful woman.
I think Anne Hathaway is one of the most talented actresses of her generation, and that she'll only get better. She's beautiful, she can do comedy or drama, and she sings like an angel. The only way she can top that is to discover the cure for the common cold.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OH, she can definately sing....it would be interesting to here her live without electronics in the equation. And Russell Crowe. Remember, even Clint Eastwood sang in the musical movie, "Paint your wagon"
Here is Anne singing at the Kennedy Center Honors. I don't know what they do to achieve this, whether it's live or lip-synched, but I imagine it gives a good impression of her voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7ZD9Gvf_Q

I also love her dress. It manages to combine lavishness and chic with sleeves!