2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I seriously disagree with I/K being ahead of Shibs. :mad: Want to see those protocols.

It's likely a loss in levels, which I expect from them this early in the season.

ETA: Actually they lost by 2.06 while the PCS gap is 2.68 points. I/K definitely is overscored in this regard.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Heard a lot of early criticism about this D/W FD, but I think it's starting to gel!

Yes, this is another one I liked a LOT better on the second viewing. For half a second I sort of almost believed a romantic connection which actually I think is huge. (And this comes from a HUGE D/W fan).

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
It's likely a loss in levels, which I expect from them this early in the season.

Yeah, possibly. This is fixable.

Shibs competing for Japan is an interesting thought. But the USFS would never release them early, so they'd have to sit out a year (2 years?) of international competition before they could represent Japan, and that would likely stop their skating career momentum. Unless of course, the Japanese Federation makes a BIG Gift to the USFSA. :laugh:

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
That was much much better than Skate America. I love the new details they've added and I think the bells add a great dramatic touch to the music.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I love Davis and White, but the music annoys me. The dramatic ending was beautiful though!

Yes, I have never seen anything like that second to last lift. Also, even on the internet their speed compared to the others is quite obviously better.

samson

Medalist
Meryl and Charlie. Shutting it down as usual. Can't wait to watch it without a skipping feed.

jolen

Rinkside
Really enjoyed d/w. Great momentum ,ease in and out of lifts and fantastic ending.
Congrats to o/w for fourth place finish.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
D/W skated great! I think the theme/performance is coming along, but I find the music cuts a bit abrupt.

Wouldn't the Shibs have to give up their US citizenship to skate for Japan in the Olympics? Really doubt that's something they'd be willing to do...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yes, this is another one I liked a LOT better on the second viewing. For half a second I sort of almost believed a romantic connection which actually I think is huge. (And this comes from a HUGE D/W fan).

With a 9.86 in INT, it looks like the judges agree with you...

This should make for a VERY interesting GPF with Voir.

figuristka

Medalist
D/W looked to have so much speed and flow. They make it look easy. Enjoyed their program alot , still don't sense the strong chemistry though. Iam a bit surprised they scored quite that high but V/M still seem to slow down at the end of their free and hopefully will improve that.

auser

Record Breaker
I don't think they have Japanese citizenship. Am I wrong?
I am not a lawyer. And I certainly do not know Japanese law regarding citizenship. Shibs are of Japanese heritage, but were born and raised in USA. If I remember correctly, Rena Inoue had to give up Japanese citizenship to skate with John Baldwin Jr. for USA

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, possibly. This is fixable.

Shibs competing for Japan is an interesting thought. But the USFS would never release them early, so they'd have to sit out a year (2 years?) of international competition before they could represent Japan, and that would likely stop their skating career momentum. Unless of course, the Japanese Federation makes a BIG Gift to the USFSA. :laugh:

Besides the fact they're of Japanese decent and would always win National championships, I see little to be gained by going to Team Japan. With their score at NHK, they are currently No. 2 among U.S. teams on the GP series by 5 points (ahead of C/B).

Overall, the Shibs are No. 8 on the season's best list, but in the FD they are No. 7, ahead of W/P and behind C/L. They are No. 9 in the SD, so they'll have to work on that, I suppose.

Besides, I think while Maia and Alex take pride in their Japanese heritage, I think they are proud to represent the U.S. They do not seem like a team that would jump ship for the sake of politics or placement.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Unless of course, the Japanese Federation makes a BIG Gift to the USFSA. :laugh:

What about this: Japan has way too many talented male skaters. The US has many talented dance teams.

Ergo, the US should trade away the Shibs in exchange for Takahiko Kozuka or Nobunari Oda :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What about this: Japan has way too many talented male skaters. The US has many talented dance teams.

Ergo, the US should trade away the Shibs in exchange for Takahiko Kozuka or Nobunari Oda :laugh:

Nah, if the Shibs are going to go to Japan, they are going to want to be on the same team as their good buddy Taka. :laugh: Give Oda to the U.S. (And Machida)!