2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Trophy Free Dance

missysays

On the Ice
I'm perplexed and frustrated by the Chinese dance teams. These two couples have been around long enough, they should have been improving a lot more than what's being put out on the ice. And their scores seem to be going backward. I know they are good skaters and have more talent than we're seeing. Coaching limitations? Do these two need more than just a western choreographer and also need a different primary coaching situation?....all theoretical of course, since the Chinese Fed mostly insists on doing things their own way.

I know what you mean. In some ways, I would almost switch up the teams and pair Xiaoyang Yu with Xun Zheng. Xiaoyang's partner isn't very strong and she seems the more expressive of the two and the same with Xun Zheng and his partner. Having said that the main difference I see in the Chinese teams and the other teams is they always seem winded after their performances which to me points to their lack of conditioning. You would think that the Chinese ice dance teams would at least benefit from the physical training regime that makes their top pairs teams so competitive.

Going to the existing teams, I'd pair up Yu and Zheng and then spend some extra money and send them to train with Igor so they get more of a technical base. Then they might actually get somewhere.

It might be too late for these teams though since they're already in their mid 20s- unless they decide to go for another Olympic cycle.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Going to the existing teams, I'd pair up Yu and Zheng and then spend some extra money and send them to train with Igor so they get more of a technical base. Then they might actually get somewhere.

It might be too late for these teams though since they're already in their mid 20s- unless they decide to go for another Olympic cycle.

Interesting idea, and it may indeed be too late. But if they're fully subsidized as is typical for Chinese national team members, it could happen. Look at Pang/Tong--different discipline but even more wearing on the body!

pista04

On the Ice
Did anyone else notice Elena Ilinykh during the warm-up? She looked very concerning, very frazzled......Anyone know of any illness/injury? It could also explain why they are in third after winning...?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Did anyone else notice Elena Ilinykh during the warm-up? She looked very concerning, very frazzled......Anyone know of any illness/injury? It could also explain why they are in third after winning...?

I don't know but I agree she didn't look good :(

tulosai

Record Breaker
Nicole is a lovely girl but the cut and color of that dress need improvement.

I actually really like that color on her. In general not so much.

This was another performance I really enjoyed. I'd have them in first. They seemed to really flow across the ice, it made me happy to watch them. TO me their edges/levels looked very strong too but it's always so hard to tell before you see the protocols and can watch again later...

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Anybody knowledgeable about Canadian dance have an opinion on whether Orford/Williams are a threat to Paul/Islam and Ralph/Hill in this season's pecking order?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Besides the lime green dress -- I agree. That was a very lovely dance.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Anybody knowledgeable about Canadian dance have an opinion on whether Orford/Williams are a threat to Paul/Islam and Ralph/Hill in this season's pecking order?

I personally think they're not, but I haven't seen much of Paul/Islam or Ralph/Hill this season.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I can appreciate I/K's technical ability compared to all the previous teams, but except for the first part of the program up to the dance spin, I just don't like the rest of this FD. I find it offensive for some reason.

ETA: Elena does look ill or something. Flu? Bad sushi?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I enjoyed this FD very much.. with the sound muted. After hearing that music at the last GP they were in, I could not stand to listen to it again! Also.. is Elena sick?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I can appreciate I/K's technical ability compared to all the previous teams, but except for the first part of the program up to the dance spin, I just don't like the rest of this FD. I find it offensive for some reason.

Yeah. I wouldn't say offensive but I Just do NOT get it. I feel no connection to it and find it jarring and perplexing in a BAD way.

pista04

On the Ice
I LOVED the beginning of the program.....didn't understand what people talked about....then it got weird....so I went to youtube and put on Hallelujah by David Buckley and silented the sound on the skating. It went together beautifully. =]

She is definitely ill or something. She just didn't look well afterward at all, but she pulled it together and pulled out a GREAT performance. I never thought I would say this....but I like them! Favorite Russian couple ever.