2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chan has never had as bad skates as Mao is having and Mao is winning. But forget winning. Her medaling is completely disgraceful. Once again three triples and she can win an event. It's so pathetic and ridiculous and Mao is not deserving and needs to give back the medal because her win and her jumping is a total disgrace.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
positive GOE for her double jumps.

NICE
So? One dude two weeks ago also got positive GOE for three doubled jumps, 9s for PCS, won FS and the event and took it for granted. No one has a patent for inflation. It started here, it will show up in another place too. ;)

GREAT THREAD !!!!

Such a magnificient flow of poison, envy and greed towards one skater. And my buddies at Men's threads complain that I am malicious when I critisize Chan. Come on! I am like some moksha-speaking in Nirvana comparing to what stuff I've read here. Carry on, mean folks! I should visit Ladies' threads more often. You are really entertaining. :popcorn:

As for Akiko, I am not surprised that she didn't crack any 8 in her FS. The prog itself is one more gem from Camerlengo, who is my favourite choreographers ever, if not the most favourite. But Akiko is wearing someone else's dress. Skating an elegant beauty is what would suit Shizuka, even Mao could present this idea better. Akiko looks ridiculous in this image. The only what I did enjoy was the last seconds of her progs after she finished her jumps and went into chsq, being relaxed, as if she put some warmness and emotions in her skating, with great speed. If she had been skating like that all the prog, then her PCS would have been different I am sure.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Figure Skating is not a sport anymore.

I'm afraid it might be kicked out of the Olympics.

Hopefully Mao wouldn't win Sochi 2014 with these jumps but it's very possible and if she did then I agree it shouldn't be in the Olympics.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Akiko: :yay: She was the winner tonight, it's clear, that FS deserved A LOT more than 62 PCS, it's just ridicolous...
Mao: :bang: That's all I can say about her jumps, her "consistency", her win tonight... I love her but this wasn't a 117 program even if I understand why...
Mirai: another :yay: So happy that she finally is on the podium! And, two clean FS in a row, that's not easy, guys! And she's the second US lady in the GP standings, right after Wagner and Gao, now I'm really hoping a medal at Nationals for her!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully with this uproar the judges will get the point and stop over scoring Mao. When Patrick Chan was booed last year at Worlds it seemed to get the attention of the judges and maybe even the ISU and now when he doesn't skate well he's getting hit harder in his scores then he was before.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Sounds like Mao is getting the treatment that Chan has been getting for the last couple years but at Patrick can land a few triple jumps. Mao has been regressing technically for over 3 years now yet is still being held up. Say what you want about Carolina but at least she was landing more then 3 triple jumps last season when she was winning.
I'm sorry for Mao, but I have to agree: Carolina has been consistent, she made one or two mistakes (not more!) at every competition she entered, but her programs were always 80%+ clean and she had a 3-3... One 3Lo, one 3F (really close to UR) and one 3T is really not enough to beat a 7-triples FS!! :no:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Mao is not deserving and needs to give back the medal
I'm just curious: Has any skater ever volunteered to give back the medal because of presumed favoritism? I personally would not. I think it's rude to insult the judges in public, and it's kind of crossing the boundary: The skater's duty is to skate, not to be a judge. I probably would just grab the medal and run, hide under my blanket and cry, feeling ashamed of going outside...that's all. Self-punishment, I guess, for injustice that is no fault of mine. What would you do? Jump out of the podium to slap the judges' face?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm just curious: Has any skater ever volunteered to give back the medal because of presumed favoritism? I personally would not. I think it's rude to insult the judges in public, and it's kind of crossing the boundary: The skater's duty is to skate, not to be a judge. I probably would just grab the medal and run, hide under my blanket and cry, feeling ashamed of going outside...that's all. Self-punishment, I guess, for injustice that is no fault of mine. What would you do? Jump out of the podium to slap the judges' face?

I think if a skater were to give back the medal they may suffer at the hands of the judges in future competitions. I bet there were some skaters who WANTED to give back the medal, though.

R.D.

Record Breaker
America would LOVE to have a skater of Akiko's skills, work ethics and presentation.

We do have a vastly improved Ashley Wagner now...quickly approaching Suzuki's level, if not already there.

If America had Akiko skating for them this year, it could have potentially won 3 spots for Sochi (along w/ Ashley they'd do well enough for it).

Hopefully one (two) of our own will be able to do it.

Cherryy

On the Ice
GREAT THREAD !!!!

Such a magnificient flow of poison, envy and greed towards one skater. And my buddies at Men's threads complain that I am malicious when I critisize Chan. Come on! I am like some moksha-speaking in Nirvana comparing to what stuff I've read here. Carry on, mean folks! I should visit Ladies' threads more often. You are really entertaining. :popcorn:

:laugh:

Now, seriously. I agree with what somebody said before, that the biggest problem is that Akiko has such low scores. Yes, Asada didn't deserve the score she got, in both sp and fs. But it's not the first time we all agree Akiko should have been higher in the rank and we always blame it on the higher scores of others, it's just that judges don't like Akiko as much as they should and as we do.

Btw, I loved Li Zijun and I think it's actually good that she's not considered right now such a wonder kid like other girls at her age are (Russians, Gracie). It would only add more pressure, which is not needed. I hope she will become a beautiful skater. I also have a question: can somebody tell me if her technique is ok? I know her 2 axel is little but what about other jumps? Do you think she is likely to loose them if she gains some weight? I wouldn't like it to happen, I love her!

camion

On the Ice
Sorry, Asada's SP score was overrated, too.

No 3-3 and got 67points? kidding...

I don't think the SP was overscored. Yuna nearly got 66 points at worlds last year with a visible stepout and no 3-3. The LP for Mao, however, was vastly overscored. I think that's why sometimes I wish the old system were brought back. It's like you never know how the scoring is going to end up. I think the PCS of the skater should reflect the missed technical elements if the program falls flat and Akiko definitely deserved to win.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Knowing that she did not improve and in fact got worse from china is probably bad enough for Mao but giving the medal to akikio or giving her prize money to her or givin her prize money to charity or medal to a fan or something. Mao stunk. She bombed the fs more than a million times worse than akikio bombed the short!!

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
This season it seems that there were problems with scoring in all the GP events. It looks like the judges were protecting certain skaters (just like Volosozhar & Trankov at the COR) by scoring them having in mind their reputation. It may have been the case with Mao in this event but if we consider it like that she wasn't the only one to get "inflated scores".
I believe her SP was fairly scored and I feel sorry that Akiko didn't nail that triple lutz. Things would have looked different. The fact is that Mao had an advantage of 9.35pts over Akiko. In the FS, I have no problems with a skater getting a +GOE for a double jump if it is really deserved. Akiko got two edge calls and an underrotated jump and because of that she lost 1.60pts. Where I think the judges may have got it wrong was in the components score. Mao got 7.96 for performance/execution while Akiko got 7.93. The mistakes done by Mao had a significant impact in the look of the overall routine. So I believe that Mao should not have been rewarded with 7.96 in that segment. Hence Akiko should have won the gold and Asada the silver.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
:laugh:

Now, seriously. I agree with what somebody said before, that the biggest problem is that Akiko has such low scores. Yes, Asada didn't deserve the score she got, in both sp and fs. But it's not the first time we all agree Akiko should have been higher in the rank and we always blame it on the higher scores of others, it's just that judges don't like Akiko as much as they should and as we do.

Btw, I loved Li Zijun and I think it's actually good that she's not considered right now such a wonder kid like other girls at her age are (Russians, Gracie). It would only add more pressure, which is not needed. I hope she will become a beautiful skater. I also have a question: can somebody tell me if her technique is ok? I know her 2 axel is little but what about other jumps? Do you think she is likely to loose them if she gains some weight? I wouldn't like it to happen, I love her!
yes, her flip and lutz technique is good, and so are the edge jumps, but she has the Asada-like revolutions type so she could have worse problems of UR jumps, if she grows a lot or she gains weight I think...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
This season it seems that there were problems with scoring in all the GP events. It looks like the judges were protecting certain skaters (just like Volosozhar & Trankov at the COR) by scoring them having in mind their reputation. It may have been the case with Mao in this event but if we consider it like that she wasn't the only one to get "inflated scores".
I believe her SP was fairly scored and I feel sorry that Akiko didn't nail that triple lutz. Things would have looked different. The fact is that Mao had an advantage of 9.35pts over Akiko. In the FS, I have no problems with a skater getting a +GOE for a double jump if it is really deserved. Akiko got two edge calls and an underrotated jump and because of that she lost 1.60pts. Where I think the judges may have got it wrong was in the components score. Mao got 7.96 for performance/execution while Akiko got 7.93. The mistakes done by Mao had a significant impact in the look of the overall routine. So I believe that Mao should not have been rewarded with 7.96 in that segment. Hence Akiko should have won the gold and Asada the silver.
:agree::clap:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Suzuki should have won and it seemed to me that Mao had same thoughts... Of course Mao had a big lead after the sp, but still some of her PCS were a bit inflated and Suzuki´s were not as high as she would have deserved (choreography and performance).

wallylutz

Medalist
It seems this way. The JSF has seemingly done everything it could to discourage the poor woman from continuing on, short of sending a Yakuza to whack her knee.

Wow, I can't believe someone brought up Yakuza (an infamous mafia like gang in Japan) and Nancy Kerrigan-esque "accident"...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sounds like Mao is getting the treatment that Chan has been getting for the last couple years but at Patrick can land a few triple jumps. Mao has been regressing technically for over 3 years now yet is still being held up. Say what you want about Carolina but at least she was landing more then 3 triple jumps last season when she was winning.

I know and respect everyone has their own opinions. And yes, even Goe's are subject to interpretation as are all marks. But the system allows for someone TES flawed to possibly win. The COP system is just too complicated even for us diehards. I think Chan has got an unfair rap. I am guilty of it because I repeat myself - but mind you everyone else does the same. Sometimes we put so much into a jump as people but remember in the case of NHK Mao had a huge lead and she lost by a lot in the freeskate. She just had too big of a lead. But the marking system allows for someone TES weaker to still do well or win. In the legal world it is often frowned upon that district attornye or for that matter any lawyer but especially the prosecutor not criticize the judge as to influence them. WE have to be careful booing, blogs, websites like this does not intimidate judge - they are suppose to be free of partisan and control their biases but ironically by yelling and screaming too loudly and too voiciferously that could destroy the sport. So the very complaints many have may only be perpetuated or in short, we look like hypocrites. We say judges are blind or bias and then we influence them. I am not sure how do you judge a good edge versus a good quad? I know this will be an unpopular approach but I think we need to consider that. And in many ways we are all rational to ourselves and irrational to those who disagree. (Guilty here) We have our favourites; sometimes you read these posts and it is obviously who likes who and sometimes it is "rationalized" by the poster but it is their positon or thoughts and other time it just sounds like for no reason they like so and so. Sadly in many ways there is only one gold medal and three podium spots (usually lol). Like my mom taught me - what is fair is in the eye of the beholder. I guess our happiness and the skater's happiness shouldn't be in the results made by the judges. Life has to go on....

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Judges everywhere happily handed Akiko low marks. What am I missing here? I wonder what deficiencies they saw in her skating?
It wasn't just NHK. It was at virtually every single competition she was in. Her PCS never reflected what she did.

I think Mao won because she was up against someone who consistently got low marks. If she went up against Kiira or Carolina who skated that kind of programs, she would lose easily.

Anyway, someone said Shizuka would skate Akiko's program better than she did. I disagree. As much as I love Shizuka, I think she's just too stoic and regal to skate this program. Just one look at the Swan program she did a few years ago and see the difference.