2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2012 NHK Ladies Free Skate

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think it's important to note here that even Mao was displeased with her finish, as she didn't feel that she'd deserved gold. At the post-NHK press conference, she was beside herself with criticisms of her performance. Someone even mentioned that Akiko had to comfort her for winning.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think it's important to note here that even Mao was displeased with her finish, as she didn't feel that she'd deserved gold. At the post-NHK press conference, she was beside herself with criticisms of her performance. Someone even mentioned that Akiko had to comfort her for winning.

But she can't tell the judges they were wrong and to give it to Suzuki instead :think:

The judges were the ones that decided the outcome. The ISU is the one that needs to speak up...

gmyers

Record Breaker
But she can't tell the judges they were wrong and to give it to Suzuki instead :think:

The judges were the ones that decided the outcome. The ISU is the one that needs to speak up...

It should also be other skaters to criticize the win as well. That would really be something. If Mao wanted triples she would leave sato. Change coaches to get jumps. But she won't change coaches to get jumps because she is winning and that's all athletes want is to win!

gmyers

Record Breaker

Mao is brilliant! Creating sympathy for herself in this situation.

hurrah

Medalist
Below is the full definition of P/E. P/E measures 'the involvement of the skater physically, emotionally, and intellectually as they translate the intent of the music and choreography'.

IMO, because Akiko's routine is not choreographed to the music and Mao's is, it is very difficult for her to get a high score no matter what. I would say that Mao executed her movements to the music better than Akiko, has better carriage, better clarity of movement, and better variety and contrast compared to Akiko.

The only criteria that Akiko did better than Mao at NHK was 'projection'. Akiko definitely projected more energy that day compared to Mao. But that is only one out of the six criteria of P/E. In the other five criteria of P/E, Mao was better than Akiko, so it is no wonder that Mao scored better (7.96 to Akiko's 7.93).

If P/E was all about projection, then Akiko should have scored higher than Mao in P/E. But unfortunately for Akiko, in order to get a high score in P/E, you need choreography, and her routine doesn't have that. She basically skates from one element to another with great energy, but without paying too much attention to the nuance of the music.

Performance/Execution
Definition: is the involvement of the skater/couple/teams physically, emotionally, and intellectually as they translate the intent of the music and choreography.
Execution: is the quality of movement and precision in delivery.

Criteria:
-Physical, emotional, and intellectual involvement
In all skating disciplines each skater must be physically committed, sincere in emotion, and equal in comprehension of the music and in execution of all movement.
-Carriage
Carriage is a trained inner strength of the body that makes possible ease of movement from the center of the body. Alignment is the fluid change from one movement to the next.
-Style and individuality/personality
Style is the distinctive use of line and movement as inspired by the music.
Individuality/personality is a combination of personal and artistic preferences that a skater/pair/couple brings to the concept, manner, and content of the program.
-Clarity of movement
Clarity is characterized by the refined lines of the body and limbs, as well as the precise execution of any movement.
-Variety and contrast
Varied use of tempo, rhythm, force, size, level, movement shapes, angles, and, body parts as well as the use of contrast.
-Projection
The skater radiates energy resulting in an invisible connection with the audience.

Nadia01

Final Flight
It's not Maos fault or whatever what the media does. The media is always just about her 3A too, which is not right either. You said she wants the OGM - and that doesn't seem to be true. I said "for the protocols" not in the sense of jugdes protocols (maybe "for the record" is what I actually wanted to say, nothing but a phrase). I just wanted to add that you're not right about the goal if hers. And because of you claim that the reworking of her jumping technique is an "excuse".
And you don't need to remind me of her personal situation... I'm well aware of that and I'm rather trying to defend her against what you wrote. That difficult situation probably didn't make it easier to rework her jumps either.

She actually wrote a resolution saying she wanted to win OGM when she was young.

She then said her goal was to win it in Sochi since she couldn't in Vancouver.

Her federation isn't backing her to this extreme degree because she skates for "love."

Yes, reworking her technique is an "excuse" to justify her horrible and deteriorating jumps. Do you REALLY think she jumps like a 2 time WC and the current OSM?

And this is simply not true. She is trying to take of from the right edge - the fact that she can't is another thing. I doubt most of the flutzers out there are doing it on purpose. They didn't learn the right technique when the system didn't really force them too. Now the system has changed and they're trying to repair it. But it's not an easy thing to do.
Of course Mao doesn't have a true Lutz, but saying she doesn't have it at all isn't true.

That makes NO SENSE.

She either has it or she doesn't. She can't "sort of have a lutz" because she's "trying."

It's like saying, everyone in Vancouver "sort of have the OGM" because they all "tried."

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Additionally, Nadia01 is correct. Mao does not have a lutz. The OP Li'Kitsu admitted Mao cannot take off from the correct edge but said she is trying to, and because she is trying to it's not fair to say she doesn't have a lutz. Until Mao succeeds in taking off on the right edge, she doesn't have a lutz. I personally don't think it matters that she doesn't, but it is a fact that she doesn't. There is no need for all this hatred over a true statement.

mary01

Final Flight
Additionally, Nadia01 is correct. Mao does not have a lutz. The OP Li'Kitsu admitted Mao cannot take off from the correct edge but said she is trying to, and because she is trying to it's not fair to say she doesn't have a lutz. Until Mao succeeds in taking off on the right edge, she doesn't have a lutz. I personally don't think it matters that she doesn't, but it is a fact that she doesn't. There is no need for all this hatred over a true statement.

well maybe you should look at the facts before you claim something that isn't true, try looking at all the times where Mao attempted the lutz and you will see she has got several lutzes ratified.

Last edited by a moderator:

tulosai

Record Breaker
well maybe you should look at the facts before you claim something that isn't true, try looking at all the times where Mao attempted the lutz and you will see she has got several lutzes ratified, and who is the one who is spoting hatred, maybe you should read the content of certain poster,

i really wonder why he/she is allowed to continue with her accusation and hatred everywhere? but you know what i don't even care!

I don't know how far back in the past you want me to go with the lutzes. She certainly hasn't had one ratified this season, and that is even with the fact that she doubled both of them. I do not recall her having one ratified last season, either, but I can't find the protocols from the GP easily right now so I could be wrong. I did not claim, either way, that she didn't ever once have a lutz in the past, but that she does not have one currently. This appears to be true, at least from where I am sitting. In addition, the lutz was always problematic for her even if she has had a few ratified in the past. I don't think it is hate filled to say this.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't know how far back in the past you want me to go with the lutzes. She certainly hasn't had one ratified this season, and that is even with the fact that she doubled both of them. I do not recall her having one ratified last season, either, but I can't find the protocols from the GP easily right now so I could be wrong. I did not claim, either way, that she didn't ever once have a lutz in the past, but that she does not have one currently. This appears to be true, at least from where I am sitting. In addition, the lutz was always problematic for her even if she has had a few ratified in the past. I don't think it is hate filled to say this.

I'm a nerd, so I went an looked up every protocol sheet for every competition she's attempted the jump since the 2010-2011 season (when she started working on her jump technique). And indeed every Lutz attempt (single, double or triple) had an edge call.

But the 3Z has been an issue for Mao, there's a reason she didn't even attempt one in the 2009-2010 season and went with doing 2 3A instead in the FS.

That said, I think she's improving on it (her -GOE indicates that the judges consider the edge issue less severe than in the past), but she still does not have a true lutz.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm a nerd, so I went an looked up every protocol sheet for every competition she's attempted the jump since the 2010-2011 season (when she started working on her jump technique). And indeed every Lutz attempt (single, double or triple) had an edge call.

But the 3Z has been an issue for Mao, there's a reason she didn't even attempt one in the 2009-2010 season and went with doing 2 3A instead in the FS.

That said, I think she's improving on it (her -GOE indicates that the judges consider the edge issue less severe than in the past), but she still does not have a true lutz.

:clap: Thank you!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
what a nice way to avoid the real issue here, and i would recommend you to look back and truly look at what was refereed to, it really can't be the case where i have to spell and put the content of a certain poster in bold for you to see it! but you are free to believe in everything in whatever you want!

Certainly some posters can be a bit harsh in the way to comment on skaters. For example, I don't agree with Nadia01 as far as Mao making excuses. If anything, I think she takes great responsibility for her errors and is VERY HARD on herself. And as I said back when she started reworking technique -- I respect the fact she's been trying to get it together even if it meant losing in the short-term.

But I do agree with Nadia01 (and others) that Mao doesn't have a true lutz and I just went and looked it up---according to the judges, she has a flutz. There's no way around it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As stated in several NHK threads - the bickering needs to move off the board, if you have personal issues with a poster you need to resolve it via PM. Airing dirty laundry, bickering, etc drags the entire thread down and that's not fair to the board membership. It is not any one person's job to defend a skater to the point that they begin fighting/attacking other members. If you see something offensive, report it, and if the poster still bugs you, use the ignore feature. Do not continue to provoke the other into a battle. It does nothing for anyone.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
tulosai said:
I personally don't think it matters that she doesn't, but it is a fact that she doesn't. There is no need for all this hatred over a true statement.
Mrs. P said:
But I do agree with Nadia01 (and others) that Mao doesn't have a true lutz and I just went and looked it up---according to the judges, she has a flutz. There's no way around it.

See, I didn't mean to hate on anyone and I didn't think I did - but I'm sorry if it appeared that way. And I'm by no means denying Mao has huge trouble with the 3L. What got me upset is the claim of Mao making excuses or that she wouldn't even try for the real Lutz edge. When you want to put it that Mao doesn't have a Lutz, that's fine - but then nearly the majority of ladies today doesn't. Ashley, Adelina, Julia - and here, per protocol, even Akiko.
The first statement of Nadia01 just seemed to single out Mao with this, and that's not right. If you really want to go trough with this, Akiko seemd to have had 2 flutzes in the FS - what does that make of her 7 triple FS? 5 triple FS? It's still a 7-triple FS for me. Maybe I'm just not enough into the technical expect, true, but I'm not caring as much about those edges. I'd rather have the girls flutzing and getting some -GOE than trying hard to fix it afterwards resulting in popped jumps or UR's. Just because the system now starts to penalize it while it didn't do so before. If you think Mao doesn't have a Lutz I won't object again, but I don't think it should be used to talk her into being a bad jumper. That's all.

(Sorry Toni, last post I'm making about this. Just wanted to have that said and explained, no bickering anymore!)

well maybe you should look at the facts before you claim something that isn't true, try looking at all the times where Mao attempted the lutz and you will see she has got several lutzes ratified.

The only time Mao had "ratified lutz" was when ISU didn't really care about wrong edges until 2006-2007 season in which Mao had way more serious flutzes. When they finally did, she had no longer "ratified lutzes." You should really look at the facts before you claim something that isn't true.