2012 GPF qualifiers: Ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2012 GPF qualifiers: Ladies

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Last I heard (yesterday) Kiira will be at GPF. She missed several days of training due to a back injury and then she got a virus.
She said she is not 100%.

With what you said Kiira is reporting, it sounds like the responsible thing for her to do would be to have withdrawn and let someone who IS 100% compete.....What good will it do her OR her career if she either A) withdraws at this point, making it too late to bring in an alternate or B) competes and bombs.

I wish her all the best, but it sounds like she may be experiencing "wishful thinking" in thinking she can compete in her current condition.

Country
Russia
Last I heard (yesterday) Kiira will be at GPF. She missed several days of training due to a back injury and then she got a virus.

As far as i know competitions shedule, all skaters now (04 Dec about 23:00 Sochi time, the same as Moscow time, UTC+4) all skaters should be in Sochi, in hotel.

But https://twitter.com/Rayhaneh28/status/275549620938088448
Finnish press reports that Kiira Korpi has been ill and only resumed training this WE - she is expected to be flying there on Wed #gpf2012

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I just hope she doesn't have a Czisny-like competition, it was just horrible to see Alissa bombing last year...

pohatta

On the Ice
Actually this might be a good sign for Korpi. She won her first National title and her first European medal in similar circumstances, competing with low expectations after an injury and/or illness.

considering the news out of football (American) today - concussions need to be taken more seriously in all sports IMO. Yes football and hockey are more aggressive, but I'd bet a lot of concussions go undiagnosed in figure skating. A lot of the falls we see seem wicked to the spine and head. I really wish the ISU and national federations would take it more seriously.

Oh, yes...I completely agree, and I was so relieved to hear that Julia is sitting this one out. I know that skating isn't as physically bruising as a football game, but think--she has to spin and jump with multiple rotations. With a concussion? She could lose her bearings easily in mid-move and incur a dreadful injury. These moves are demanding and precarious enough when one is healthy.

I'm sorry she's not able to skate, of course; it would have been great to see her. And I'm doubly sorry that we might be losing Kiira as well. What a year: skaters are dropping like flies.