Can Ross Miner become the next National Champion? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Can Ross Miner become the next National Champion?

Nan

Rinkside
I really loved watching Ross Miner's programs, I did not find him boring at all. He is a very smooth and classic skater and improving all the time. His spread eagles (transitions) are great, very stylish. I love that he was willing to do school figures because it shows in his edges and also I think it helps him be more consistent, good for him! I think as he gains more confidence he will do very well and hope to see more of this wonderful skater.

noskates

Record Breaker
Thank you Art&Sport for keeping it real where Johnny Weir is concerned. I completely agree with your assessment as to why he's coming back to competition. Johnny has said repeatedly what his reasons are and he's worked hard, very hard, to get back in shape. I haven't seen the same commitment from Evan but I also agree that it would be great to see the two of them competing in professional competitions. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them anymore.

I haven't read this whole thread but I have to say I find Ross Miner's skating kind of boring. I just don't see much personality on the ice. I used to feel that way about Jeremy Abbott early on but he's developed into a beautiful skater who interprets his music and makes you wish there was more when his program is finished. Perhaps Ross will get to that point eventually.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I admire Ross's consistency and think he's a good competitor and all around skater, I guess personally, I just find him a bit bland, milk-taost-y if you will. That's okay, because at 21 there's still time for him to develop more personality and artistry, and in terms of overall ability, he's one of the best guys in the Nation. I think he can win Nationals but idk if he'll ever be able to medal on a World or Olympic stage. I prefer Dornbush at this point just because I find him more interesting and very animated on the ice - something about Ross's stroking seems robotic/mechanical to me and I think that's why he hasn't totally won me over yet. I love Ricky's programs this season and to me he has the wow that Ross lacks. But as of late, he does not have the consistency of Ross so if we're trying to get 3 men's spots for the Olympics I think Ross should definitely be on the Worlds team. As for if he will win Nationals - it depends on which Jeremy shows up, and maybe a clean Dornbush could win too. It will definitely be interesting. But Ross is improving steadily and I think his FS this year is a big step up from last season.

As for comparisons, Ross doesn't remind me of Boitano or Abbott, to me he's sort of the US equivalent of Oda, or in some ways, Yagudin. Dornbush reminds me more of Kulik, or well, Verner, but hopefully his consistency doesn't go the way of Verner.

I highly doubt Abbott will medal at Worlds this season though. I think getting 3 spots is possible, but the field is so deep right now that Abbott on the podium is really hard for me to imagine. Hope he finally skated well there though (that is if he even makes it to Worlds).

I'm more interested in seeing how some of the spoilers perform at Nats, with good skates I think Aaron, Farris, Messing, and Mahbanoozadeh might surprise people and score/place really well.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Just gotta say I love ross miner!

BTW I'm new here

Riemann

Rinkside
I recall the whole world being outraged almost two years ago when Abbott came in fourth at nationals and Miner was sent to Worlds as number three. I remember finding it all a bit much because while Abbott may help in terms of the number of spots, he is far too much of a headcase to make it on the podium and that it is probably better to give the newbies some Worlds experience and exposure to see what mental toughness they possess.

And you know what? I still feel that way about the current picture. Abbott has very strong areas that usually aren't given enough credit by the judges, but the truth is that they never will be until he works out whatever mental issues are causing his inconsistency. And the longer it goes without seeing that change, the more I think it will never happen. He is 27 now for Pete's sake. His time is almost up.

noskates

Record Breaker
I had to chuckle at the comment "depends on which Jeremy shows up!" So true! So true! I'm still enamored of his programs at US Nats this year though. His skating was magical and he was in full control. It's just too bad he can't deliver that kind of performance all the time. He has the skills but, alas and alack, he IS a headcase. At this age it's not likely he'll be able to change that. But - please don't count out Jason Brown. If not this year, then next. I think he's much more dynamic on the ice than Ross Miner and is usually as consistent. He does need the quad and the triple axel but he's still so young. I've heard he's landing both in practice. Ricky Dornbush reminds me of one of those male skaters that is all about the athleticism and then all of a sudden the lightbulb goes off and he starts also performing. This year's US Nats is going to be serendipitous for someone......it will be fun to find out who! Quite frankly at this point, unless Jeremy brings his A game it's pretty much up for grabs.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Brown I think is going to be the next Johnny Weir once he goes senior. Talented, interesting skaters, but I wonder about what his marks will be like once he goes senior. He doesn't fit the traditional mold of the male figure skater which could help or hurt him.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Brown I think is going to be the next Johnny Weir once he goes senior. Talented, interesting skaters, but I wonder about what his marks will be like once he goes senior. He doesn't fit the traditional mold of the male figure skater which could help or hurt him.

I think he will be fine. His programs are different, but I don't think they're all out there. And having unique style is probably the only comparable thing that Jason has to Johnny. Kori seems to have a great understanding of COP. His SP, for example, has a ton of transitions, solid level 4 spins + steps levels (though he probably should not be so borderline with the spin rotations) and a jump in the second half of the program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And Jason is one of those sunny natured people that people just like to like-he does not appear to enjoy tweaking the noses of the skating establishment, unlike Johnny.

More flies with honey that vinegar, as they say...& Jason landed his first fully rotated 3A today at the JGPF. He has a good chance to do very well; if not this year, then next.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well, Jason skated senior nationals this year. Granted he only took 9th but that was without a 3A and with alot of seasoned performers before him. I fully expect him to be in the top 5 this year! I don't see any similarity between him and Johnny Weir other than graceful stroking on the ice and quiet landings on the jumps. And if I'm not mistaken, he's only 18 years olo. So much potential and so much time to develop.

LRK

Record Breaker
I know it's a bit late, but I've meant to ask but simply not got round to it - was the quad he landed Ross Miner's first in competition? Because it felt like such a triumph - it must have given him such a rush - I know it did me, and I was only watching. There's something special about landing the first quad, I think - and may there be many more for him!

I like him, but while I know many praise his subtle qualities, I do think he should go a little more "out" on his FP - he is portraying Errol Flynn after all. ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ross's quad salchow at NHK was his first landed successfully in competition. He didn't try a quad in competition in the 2011-2012, so he only tried adding one to his program this season. He practices both 4t and 4S but the 4S comes easier to him, so he added it to the programs first.

mskater93

Record Breaker

His PCS at Nationals was already competitive in Senior Men (he's skated Senior for 2 seasons at Nationals already) and the international judges have seemingly embraced his skating so far. There IS something magical about him when you see him live where you can't not watch him...he's always had this quality.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
His PCS at Nationals was already competitive in Senior Men (he's skated Senior for 2 seasons at Nationals already) and the international judges have seemingly embraced his skating so far. There IS something magical about him when you see him live where you can't not watch him...he's always had this quality.

This is true. I hope he can put up a better score at JW though, otherwise he might be in trouble next season in regards to GPs. He hasn't broke 200 points yet so as is he will be far below the top 25 cutoff, and missing the podium at JGPF won't help his WS much, if he's not in the top 25 for either, he won't have any guarantees, meaning he might not get invites and need a host spot to get even one GP, and there are a lot of other good US men in line for the host spot who have quads like Aaron and Messing. Josh I'm less worried about because his 218+ from Lake Placid can probably just get him in the top 25 SB, and after JGPF and wiping of 10/11 season where he didn't get many points, he should be into top 25 WS, and JGPF silver will help his ranking, so even if JW doesn't go so well, he should be alright for getting a guaranteed assignment, and maybe getting 2. I know Jason has yet to skate his best at his internationals this season, so I don't doubt he CAN get a score in the top 25 list, but he really only has one more shot to do so.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is true. I hope he can put up a better score at JW though, otherwise he might be in trouble next season in regards to GPs. He hasn't broke 200 points yet so as is he will be far below the top 25 cutoff, and missing the podium at JGPF won't help his WS much, if he's not in the top 25 for either, he won't have any guarantees, meaning he might not get invites and need a host spot to get even one GP, and there are a lot of other good US men in line for the host spot who have quads like Aaron and Messing. Josh I'm less worried about because his 218+ from Lake Placid can probably just get him in the top 25 SB, and after JGPF and wiping of 10/11 season where he didn't get many points, he should be into top 25 WS, and JGPF silver will help his ranking, so even if JW doesn't go so well, he should be alright for getting a guaranteed assignment, and maybe getting 2. I know Jason has yet to skate his best at his internationals this season, so I don't doubt he CAN get a score in the top 25 list, but he really only has one more shot to do so.

Jason is already #29 on the SB list with his score from Istanbul and is #24 on WR, so I don't think you need to worry so much about Jason either. He has several months until JW, so I think he will improve.

senatormls

On the Ice
If Ross skates clean like he did at the NHK trophy, he'll win for sure. He seemed very pleased and confident in his LP. The audience ate him up with a spoon! If he makes it to WChamps ( I hate to use WC because in Europe it means the toilets!), he needs to brush up his SP and PCS. The music he uses in his long program suits him perfect.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Ross skates clean like he did at the NHK trophy, he'll win for sure. He seemed very pleased and confident in his LP. The audience ate him up with a spoon! If he makes it to WChamps ( I hate to use WC because in Europe it means the toilets!), he needs to brush up his SP and PCS. The music he uses in his long program suits him perfect.

I don't think a clean Ross will beat a clean Jeremy if both do a quad, and I'd argue a clean Ricky with 2 quads (and one of his 3a in the 2nd half) would probably come out ahead of a clean Ross with his NHK content. Of course, I think Ross skating clean or close to it is a lot more likely than Jeremy or Ricky skating clean at this point, but I actually think, should they all be clean, Ross would wind up 3rd. 1st or 2nd is more likely due to Ross's consistency and Jeremy and Ricky's, at least recent, track record, but I think on paper, he is the 3rd best man right now when it comes down to it. His PCS are maybe a bit better than Dornbush, but only slightly, and that will be more than made up if Ricky does 2 quads as he plans too, and not as strong as Abbott, while Abbott also has superior spins, and both Dornbush and Abbott have more "textbook" and less ground out 3a technique, in addition to jumps that in general look less forced. Even a clean Armin or Josh with a quad in the FS could come close to matching Ross's marks potentially, IMO, it just comes down to Ross being more likely to skate clean/close to it than any of his main competition.